IGNORED

mount shasta // white wind

Cryptowen

two albums release in the same week, produced during an ongoing period of homeless nomadism & psychedelic drug use

ZZR7wL2.jpg

http://world3.tk/m/mount-shasta.zip

this one was mostly made in audacity

3DnPwDM.jpg

http://world3.tk/m/white-wind.zip

this one's a conceptual drone album about a three week period i spent squatting in a house with the two people on the album cover

two albums release in the same week, produced during an ongoing period of homeless nomadism & psychedelic drug use

ZZR7wL2.jpg

http://world3.tk/m/mount-shasta.zip

this one was mostly made in audacity

3DnPwDM.jpg

http://world3.tk/m/white-wind.zip

this one's a conceptual drone album about a three week period i spent squatting in a house with the two people on the album cover

Listening to the conceptual ambient one. Really beautiful!

^thx goiter! that one was produced very quickly, over the course of a long weekend. if memory serves, the first track was edited from a 15 second loop of my girlfriend playing piano on friday, the night our relationship kinda officially dissolved (it was originally an hour of raw piano recordings edited together, but each subsequent version went further into drone country). the second track was made over the course of the next two days, where i didnt sleep & did a bunch of shrooms for the first time. its five or 6 short 303 vst loops facked around with in audacity a bunch, ending with a piano duet from the initial sessions

official cryptowen breakup album spring 2k15

It's interesting to me that you produce in Audacity. I use Audacity for production as well. People say it's unintuitive and I get that, but it is all that I know. I really enjoy the track you made for the Incomplete Skyscrapers comp so hearing a familiar vibe on some of these is a welcome experience!

imo audacity is good for sculpting sound in an organic fashion. its very easy to narrow in on a specific area & reverse/echo/timestretch the heck out of it without feeling constrained by a sequencer grid. and if you start playing around with doubling tracks & applying slightly different fx you get all sorts of interesting results

the skyscraper track was.....hmm...me singing & playing a ukulele, recorded to an old tape recorder via its internal mic. i made a room recording to my zoom h2 of the tape being played back (so that i'd get the mechanical tape whirring noise), edited that digital recording in audacity a bit, used that as the raw sample to build a track with in jeskola buzz (would recommend), then applied final touches back in audacity

do you use a lotta live instrumentation on your stuff?

imo audacity is good for sculpting sound in an organic fashion. its very easy to narrow in on a specific area & reverse/echo/timestretch the heck out of it without feeling constrained by a sequencer grid. and if you start playing around with doubling tracks & applying slightly different fx you get all sorts of interesting results

the skyscraper track was.....hmm...me singing & playing a ukulele, recorded to an old tape recorder via its internal mic. i made a room recording to my zoom h2 of the tape being played back (so that i'd get the mechanical tape whirring noise), edited that digital recording in audacity a bit, used that as the raw sample to build a track with in jeskola buzz (would recommend), then applied final touches back in audacity

do you use a lotta live instrumentation on your stuff?

I play most of the synth parts and use my voice a lot so yeah. I usually have a click track only for visual reference (to eyeball where things should go). I've gotten pretty fast with it. Beat programming can take a lot of time this way but the result is more organic I think. Been using it solely for production since 2008, but I do want to try something new for a change. Probably gonna make the jump to Pro Tools one of these days.

Archived