It is amusing he bought it for such a specific and fairly "traditional' sound.

Yeah, an actual accordion would have been much cheaper. (It wouldn't have sounded as good on Returnal, though.)

lol

well weren't many users of synths and keyboards with presets session and live band performers? like, the appeal being they could play a lot of different sounds and "instruments" with one piece of equipment. I think that was his dad's mentality, especially if he wanted to play accordion parts of songs without actually learning how to play an accordion - which is a tricky instrument to play and learn

man im probably looking way too much into it

what's a quintessential track of oneohtrix for someone who hasn't gotten in to him?

I know you just want a track atm, but if you're willing to put in the time definitely work through his discography chronologically. Guys got such an interesting progression.

I prefer the newer stuff, but this is the first track i heard of his...

what's a quintessential track of oneohtrix for someone who hasn't gotten in to him?

This is his best one

Yeah, an actual accordion would have been much cheaper. (It wouldn't have sounded as good on Returnal, though.)

lol

well weren't many users of synths and keyboards with presets session and live band performers? like, the appeal being they could play a lot of different sounds and "instruments" with one piece of equipment. I think that was his dad's mentality, especially if he wanted to play accordion parts of songs without actually learning how to play an accordion - which is a tricky instrument to play and learn

ITT we analyze Daniel Lopatin's father's psychology and career to determine why he decided to get a Juno.

Edited by drillkicker

Don't forget - people used a 303 as a substitute for a bass guitar back in the day (am I right in thinking that was Roland's original intention for it?)

lol, the original intention was pretty boring. Roland has a knack for accidentally making great gear

This is his best one

lol

ITT we analyze Daniel Lopatin's father's psychology and career to determine why he decided to get a Juno.

Lopatin Sr. "So what are the main differences between this and the Korg"

80s synth salesman "Well this one is on sale-"

Lopatin Sr. "Ok, I'll take the Juno."

This was reveal by Jasondonvervan that really got me into his music.

Great track, but does this sample Public Enemy's 'Miuzi Weighs A Ton'? Or at least riff very close to it? It's the first few seconds of the track (the album version is on youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu90lpTh814

Also, as a vaporwave fan his eccojams release is a classic.

I really don't think Roland synths would have been available in the USSR.

You're wrong. KORGs, Yamahas, Rolands everything was available if desired

Shitty provincial heavy metal band for example:

x_1ffd681e.jpg

x_df3a69b0.jpg

x_11858450.jpg

^ flol

I really don't think Roland synths would have been available in the USSR.

You're wrong. KORGs, Yamahas, Rolands everything was available if desired

Shitty provincial heavy metal band for example:

x_11858450.jpg

^ flol

he's so russian his hair looks like a ushanka

*an

the 'mysterious warp hype' train continues, OPN now claiming a clearly fake band named 'Kaoss Edge' is the inspiration for OPN and it links to a password protected website that (of course, what else would you expect?) links to a website that looks like 90s era Geocities/fortune city aesthetics and is filled with oblique/manipulated/obscured pop culture references.

hopefully the music is goddam good this time because at this point the marketing is kinda hurting things imo. The 'drone' video was the first time i've seen Daniel genuinely behind the curve, lets hope it was the last

if this is opn i'm pretty surprised. Sounds like Arca level sound design doing some kind of weird mortal kombat metal industrial shit. vast improvement from the tinker toy sound design of R+7

slight similarity to the last soft pink truth album, maybe thematically only but even the vocals and effects here come off much less of a gimmick than the soft pink album did

edit: the homepage of the website plays a track too, this one sounds more typical OPN to some degree but with Scorpions style vocals over the top, very strange. Hard to tell what kind of sounds he's using, I'd guess some kind of mixture between Replica/R+7 style sample chopping but using original source material instead, like FM synthesizers. It also sounds like some really aliased sounding pitch shifter granular parts in there too. I like how the vocals on both of the tracks almost seem like they are being processed with FM.

edit2: in case anyone thought that Kaoss Edge was a real band with an actual discography (according to the website) see here : http://www.discogs.com/search/?q=kaoss+edge&type=all

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Weird. Almost ventures into Skinny Puppy territory in places. Not a fan of the production, and the guitar straight into Behringer Mic200 'tube' pre sounds... but I'm also kinda intrigued in a way.

Also, can anyone release an album without spending time on their Mythic status beforehand these days? Christ.