Though he does seem rather divisive here and I'm a huge fan (who else combines drone, new age, noise, and glitch in such an accomplished way?), I'd say it's too soon for a sub forum. The fact that he inspires as much discussion as he does has to count for something. Alco and I had an epic discussion of him awhile back. Wish I had saved it.

The only artist who really needs a sub-forum is Aphex, considering the amount of banal threads that appear related to him ('Do you think Aphex eats cheese?' 'What direction do you think Aphex faces when he wakes up in the morning?' etc). Everyone else's is barely used. Perhaps they once were, but not so much any more.

I reckon in 10 (20?) Years time we will look back and say opn was the Vangelis / Eno for the 21st century.

His tunes are super fresh and out there, very cinematic in scope but also a bit fucking nuts.

His current catalogue is already very expansive and I'm a bit excited about where he can go with it next.

I reckon in 10 (20?) Years time we will look back and say opn was the Vangelis / Eno for the 21st century.

His tunes are super fresh and out there, very cinematic in scope but also a bit fucking nuts.

His current catalogue is already very expansive and I'm a bit excited about where he can go with it next.

the editing is nuts ;)

Though he does seem rather divisive here and I'm a huge fan (who else combines drone, new age, noise, and glitch in such an accomplished way?), I'd say it's too soon for a sub forum. The fact that he inspires as much discussion as he does has to count for something. Alco and I had an epic discussion of him awhile back. Wish I had saved it.

yeah that was lush

Guest murphythecat8

well it'd be a bit much to call who will be the vangelis or eno of this century. plus i'm always worried some new way of making music will come along that will make everything we do obsolete and cheesy in comparison. the vangelis or eno of this century could be some deep blue esque tablet computer with this in mind. however i think he'll be distinguished for sure.

for many, eno is overated.

For sure for sure.

Returnal is one of my faves. Russian mind/rifts stuff. So much good stuff.

I find replica good but not great (love the first half, second halfs good too).. It was a departure from the ambient sound at least so its hard to hate it. It's a very BRAVE record. Heh. R+7 drifts back into brilliant territory again :)

Anyhow, what im getting at is.. Im a big stupid fanboy and love all the releases more or less. Couldnt be more stoked to hear new lp.

lol, me too.

• 2 weeks later...

And when you click and drag, a circle appears..

fLTF1Jv.jpg

What does it mean?!?

It means the gamma on your monitor isn't calibrated correctly :lol: (should be visible even without the draggin')

And when you click and drag, a circle appears..

fLTF1Jv.jpg

What does it mean?!?

It means the gamma on your monitor isn't calibrated correctly :lol: (should be visible even without the draggin')

Haha touché, although that's the only time I've ever seen it, and it moves with the cursor. I'd fix my laptop if it wasn't already so old..

Paul Corley has been tweeting recently about mixing new 0PN:

LkAtoHO.jpg

Opn has someone else mixing his stuff? since when? I always though some of Squarepusher's material from the past 5 years or so could have benefitted from someone else mixing it, but i always just assume most electronic artists mix their own stuff (probably a dumb assumption on my part)

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Opn has someone else mixing his stuff? since when? I always though some of Squarepusher's material from the past 5 years or so could have benefitted from someone else mixing it, but i always just assume most electronic artists mix their own stuff (probably a dumb assumption on my part)

Yeah, I think everything after Reliquary House has been mixed and produced(?) with Paul. He seems to be Software's/Dan's go-to guy lately, although post-Reliquary has been all Warp. Color me confused.

it'd be quite nice to let a pro handle the mixing and mastering on songs you had heard thousands of times before in the lead up to an album release. I think this is one of the biggest reasons people do it even when they have the know-how themselves.

it would be nice, i tend to be way too disorganized when making music to even allow for this.

people who mix and master professional music usually have decades of experiencing doing only that, it definitely counts and a lot of it you cant just learn by watching videos or reading books.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Got into this guy once for a bit before I went to see him live. What he played live was AWESOME but sounded nothing like anything on any of his albums. Would his "commission pieces" I see mentioned be more similar to live?

Got into this guy once for a bit before I went to see him live. What he played live was AWESOME but sounded nothing like anything on any of his albums. Would his "commission pieces" I see mentioned be more similar to live?

Hmm, depends when you saw him. Those commissioned pieces were all for individual events, so unless you were at the Magnetic Rose showing in Manchester, Red Bull event in Tokyo, etc., it won't be so similar to what you might have heard live. If you went to see him open for NIN, you may have gotten a very unique experience judging from the videos of his set; he hasn't really released anything like that before, and I can only really compare it to TCF. If you saw him just on his own, it was probably reworks of R Plus Seven material, which will likely never be released. When I saw him last year at Big Ears, it was all reworked R+7 stuff; pretty interesting but the bass sounded terrible. I feel like 0PN live is more about hearing unreleased material PLUS watching Nate Boyce's amazing visuals.

Long story short, listen to the commissioned works; "Commissions II" may be similar to what you heard live if you saw him fairly recently, given that it's his most recent material.

OR (!!!) you may have heard his newest tunes, i.e. WARPLP2. What did it sound like?

Hmm, depends when you saw him. Those commissioned pieces were all for individual events, so unless you were at the Magnetic Rose showing in Manchester, Red Bull event in Tokyo, etc., it won't be so similar to what you might have heard live. If you went to see him open for NIN, you may have gotten a very unique experience judging from the videos of his set; he hasn't really released anything like that before, and I can only really compare it to TCF. If you saw him just on his own, it was probably reworks of R Plus Seven material, which will likely never be released. When I saw him last year at Big Ears, it was all reworked R+7 stuff; pretty interesting but the bass sounded terrible. I feel like 0PN live is more about hearing unreleased material PLUS watching Nate Boyce's amazing visuals.

Long story short, listen to the commissioned works; "Commissions II" may be similar to what you heard live if you saw him fairly recently, given that it's his most recent material.

OR (!!!) you may have heard his newest tunes, i.e. WARPLP2. What did it sound like?

I saw him in March 2015 at some random little show at a school near me (Arizona State University). Most people there were small talking about how they only went for school credit for a class before the show it was kind of annoying

Anyway yeah he played some abstract videos kind of like 3d models of vases and shapes. I don't remember the music distinctly except that it was loud and abrasive and metallic. Very spl9 and gantz graf like to be honest. It was great to listen to but there wasn't much to latch on to in terms of melody or typical music stuff.

After he was done he said "this is the weirdest show I've ever played" or similar and sort of chuckled. I shouldve videod. This concert was actually free so I'll defo be buying this next LP as repayment so to speak. Fuck why didnt I record

Edited by Zeffolia

Guest pixelives

And the very early shows pre-warp and usually in DIY spaces were primarily Juno 60, JSQ 60, and some looper/de;ay pedals.

I would think even if he did his own mixing, Warp would encourage or almost force him to get his tracks mixed further by or with a pro so they can get it sounding super tight.. I assume most big labels would do it now. I would like to know how many artists actually do their own final mixes before mastering on bigger labels.

Its something that a lot of people dont really consider when they struggle to get mixdowns sounding tight, these pros have a lot of the best gear money can buy. Its when the 'he just used ableton' argument flakes hard with some people.

I would love to have a release mixed by a pro sometime, I think a lot of guys would still send over a lot of reference tracks and all that so the control and sound is still how they want it, its just gonna be run through a whole lot of nice gear to improve it..

anyways.. cant wait for new OPN.. still not yet heard commissions II, might have a dig online

So a collab? "SW" and "R+7" were both 2013; they could both be up for a solo fall/winter release, right? Mark me down for Friday, Nov. 13th.