Guest pixelives

Opn has someone else mixing his stuff? since when? I always though some of Squarepusher's material from the past 5 years or so could have benefitted from someone else mixing it, but i always just assume most electronic artists mix their own stuff (probably a dumb assumption on my part)

I would think even if he did his own mixing, Warp would encourage or almost force him to get his tracks mixed further by or with a pro so they can get it sounding super tight.. I assume most big labels would do it now. I would like to know how many artists actually do their own final mixes before mastering on bigger labels.

Its something that a lot of people dont really consider when they struggle to get mixdowns sounding tight, these pros have a lot of the best gear money can buy. Its when the 'he just used ableton' argument flakes hard with some people.

I would love to have a release mixed by a pro sometime, I think a lot of guys would still send over a lot of reference tracks and all that so the control and sound is still how they want it, its just gonna be run through a whole lot of nice gear to improve it..

anyways.. cant wait for new OPN.. still not yet heard commissions II, might have a dig online

It's not even about forcing someone to do it. It's about having the budget to do so. When I have the extra cash, I'll 100% always go to somebody trusted to mix for me and use all the fancy outboard. a console for summing the final mix, etc, etc...

u6B8p24.jpg

I'm thinking this be the same test pressing as Biblio posted last week

Or just both are lined up in the release cue and 10-8-7 are a preferred house used by Warp.

Got into this guy once for a bit before I went to see him live. What he played live was AWESOME but sounded nothing like anything on any of his albums. Would his "commission pieces" I see mentioned be more similar to live?

Hmm, depends when you saw him. Those commissioned pieces were all for individual events, so unless you were at the Magnetic Rose showing in Manchester, Red Bull event in Tokyo, etc., it won't be so similar to what you might have heard live. If you went to see him open for NIN, you may have gotten a very unique experience judging from the videos of his set; he hasn't really released anything like that before, and I can only really compare it to TCF. If you saw him just on his own, it was probably reworks of R Plus Seven material, which will likely never be released. When I saw him last year at Big Ears, it was all reworked R+7 stuff; pretty interesting but the bass sounded terrible. I feel like 0PN live is more about hearing unreleased material PLUS watching Nate Boyce's amazing visuals.

Long story short, listen to the commissioned works; "Commissions II" may be similar to what you heard live if you saw him fairly recently, given that it's his most recent material.

OR (!!!) you may have heard his newest tunes, i.e. WARPLP2. What did it sound like?

I saw him in March 2015 at some random little show at a school near me (Arizona State University). Most people there were small talking about how they only went for school credit for a class before the show it was kind of annoying

Anyway yeah he played some abstract videos kind of like 3d models of vases and shapes. I don't remember the music distinctly except that it was loud and abrasive and metallic. Very spl9 and gantz graf like to be honest. It was great to listen to but there wasn't much to latch on to in terms of melody or typical music stuff.

After he was done he said "this is the weirdest show I've ever played" or similar and sort of chuckled. I shouldve videod. This concert was actually free so I'll defo be buying this next LP as repayment so to speak. Fuck why didnt I record

I saw him in Melbourne, Australia late last year. Huge fan (borderline obsessiveness when OPN 'clicked' for me), but wasn't really digging the live set until I closed my eyes and it was then incredible. I know the visuals are probably meant to compliment the music + in a way that has been thought about by clever people but I genuinely found it actively distracting to the point where it cheapened my perception of the audio.

Never would have thought I'd say "it was better with my eyes closed", but there you go. I get why Autechre do gigs in the dark now given the complexity of their music.

edit: I should probably clarify - I do like Nate Boyce's visuals. i'm not saying the visuals are crap. I just think they negatively detract from the experience of hearing OPN and in a way which is certainly not subtle.

Edited by xf

Guest bitroast

That venue^ was pretty sweet but not great for the visuals. It looked like a power point presentation on a far away white board. Hard to take in ... maybe ...

I've seen him two (possibly three) times, and the visuals have always been a bit of a disappointment for me. They're pretty enough, but the clips are way too short and too few and they don't seem to actually match what's going on in the music.

I was hoping he'd dial down the pretense a bit for his next album but it doesn't look like it.

as long as he's able to maintain the balance of "sincere effort to examine & deconstruct weird pop culture ephemera without descending into jokey irony" and "yeah guys i know how goofy this stuff looks, just enjoy the tunes dudes" i'm cool with it

stoked 4 this, still haven't heard latest EP

Well said.

• 3 weeks later...

!!!!!

Garden of Delete (G.O.D.) out in November!

http://kaossed.blogspot.com/2015/08/opn-interview.html?m=1

E: "What is the timetable for the rest of the year as far as vacations, writing new material and recording is concerned? When can we expect a new album? Does it begin with the letter R?" [/size]

D: The record is finished. I've spent most of the summer thinking about how I want to present it. I started writing in January, and wrapped up in July. It'll be out in November. It's called Garden of Delete or G.O.D. for short. The R thing is over. [/size]

fucking great title, imo

But wasn't the "R thing" just a coincidence? He said he only noticed after someone pointed it out after Replica or R+7

Edited by triachus

Fuck yes.

"Reznor gave me the green light to attempt cyberdrone for Soundgarden audiences in broad daylight."

HAHAHAHAHA. Yes. Yes. Yes! I'm really fucking pumped about this. I've said time and again that shit he played as the opener for that tour (saw him in Chicago, and there were a few of us who were massively into his shit there) that that material was excellent. Can't wait!

No you didn't.

even though i deeply hate you, you're right in this instance. close enough tho :)

2011:

My friends and I have described most modern commercial rock music as cybernetic music because it’s half-electronic / half-real,
Edited by John Ehrlichman