IGNORED

spotify

tec

I assume you dorks are like myself and have a shit ton of music. My iPod 160GB is now crashing every other month so I lose everything and it is becoming interminable, is spotify a good alternative now everything seems to be going cloud-based? And ideally I'd like it to work even when not connected to the internet so I can do playlists for work.

Spotify Premium works for me, I can wake up in the morning and throw something on my phone with a few clicks rather than tinkering with my phone + computer. I still have some flac files and downloads stored elsewhere on my phone but for the most part I just use spotify. I would give the YouTube / Google Music platform a go before you commit to something first.

i prefer google play music since i already have most of my collection in mp3 format. it allows you to upload your entire collection to the cloud (this takes a looooong time obviously) and then stream it in 320kbps for free w/o ads up to 50k songs. of course it also has store but i never use it. it also will automatically build playlists for you based on your previous listening. you can stream from your browser on a desktop and it also has an android and iphone app. mobile app allows you to dl any number of the songs from the cloud for free so you don't have to worry about being connected

in short, it's way better than spotify if you already have a massive mp3 collection

"Listen to your music from any computer as well as up to ten devices. Uploading or downloading music using Music Manager or Google Play Music for Chrome counts towards your device limit. You can deauthorize four devices per year."

yeah so i've combined my fiance's and my mp3 collection and it's all available on our phones at the touch of a button. how far we've come! i've only used a little over 16k tracks too!

For me, no streaming service has got it "right" yet...

(will try applemusic today tho) I really enjoyed being able to listen to a new album that might not be a priority of mine to DL. it got me exposed to way more stuff.

I liked the playlists Beats had. They were very specific and very niche. I assume Spotify has some user created playlists that are very unique.

I have been using only my ipod for a while now.

I was kind of frustrated that u have to have facebook in order to have a profile pic on spotify. Also u are not allowed to make custom art and descriptions for your playlists- thats only for branded content

I'm a fan of spotify, though it's become useless, since my phone service is garbage. I've switched back to just filling my phone with music I have, until I switch to a different carrier. It's definitely nice, since it has a lot of new music almost right after the release. That and creating radio stations based off one artist, or just one song is pretty nice. I've found enough new music doing this that I deem it worth the monthly cost.

It's also nice cause I can listen to a lot of old music that I don't have myself, but wouldn't want to spend money on. Old songs that have nostalgic value, etc. That and my girlfriend enjoys being able to listen to her music, without having to taint my music player with it :wink:

Also there is a nice selection of playlists on there. I'm not really an avid jazz or reggae fan, but I do like putting it on for background music sometimes, and since I really don't know artists to check out, it's nice just finding a chill jazz station to throw on and find artists from there.

i was getting kinda bummed about copying and deleting my illegally acquired, career destroying, indie musician bankrupting, immoral FLACs from my pc to my phone every week, so i decided to try streaming as well. obviously paying someone for music listening is out of the question, so i looked up info about setting your own server and it's actually surprisingly simple.

you basically need 4 ingredients:

there are even simpler ways but both foobar and this bubbleupnp player are really good and customizable so its worth it.

it's a bummer that my data plan is just 3gigs which is like 20 hours of 320kbps mp3 (it can stream flacs just as easily but it's even a bigger hit on your mobile internets, so you have on-the-fly transcoding options), but they're getting cheaper every year so the future is bright when it comes to streaming your shit.

I don't pay for music outside of the physical formats so no way would I pay to stream music. I do use the free Spotify and it drives me fucking NUTS. So many adverts. Every time I hear that guys voice telling me to 'enjoy the next 30 minutes of ad-free music' I hulk out inside.

You can't even choose songs to play, it chooses for you and not only that but you have a limited number of skips aaaaand you can't rewind or fast forward! As if skipping to find a song to listen to isn't bad enough, you can only skip around 5 tracks before it locks you from doing that for however long... And it always plays the same songs from the same artists (the most popular). I hate Spotify.

I still use it tho when I'm out and about because I haven't looked into the alternatives (are there any free alternatives?)

Fuckin h8 u Spotify, u piece of shit. D:<

Edit: moral of the story is as long as you aren't a cheap bastard and don't mind paying it's probably fine. Otherwise prepare to lose your sanity a little.

i use spotify (premium), its quite handy for making playlists @ work and streaming them all day to the annoyance of everyone around me

*blasts slick rick at customers*

I used it last night to play three Black Sabbath albums and Gang Starr radio and it was positive and life affirming vibes in the face of the ongoing glorious struggle that is life.

I'm very happy with Spotify premium, the stuff that's not available there you can sync from your computer.

To the Spotify client that is. Spotify is very convenient for checking out new music. Especially if you're a lazy bum like me.

I'm on Spotify premium too, get it for £5 per month with my blag student card. You can cache anything you want to listen to, then listen to it without caning your data allowance, obvs. Only downside is deciding what to listen to. It's like fucking Netflix. I spend more time browsing than listening. It is pretty ace for the end user though.

Even at 5 pounds I wouldn't get my moneys worth from spotifty, i'd find a track a i like and listen to it over and over again for two months.

Even at 5 pounds I wouldn't get my moneys worth from spotifty, i'd find a track a i like and listen to it over and over again for two months.

lol yeah

although i did use the spotify radio function for a bit when i was listening at work (before i set up my google music account) i did totally hear some artists/tracks i probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Yeah, Spotify Radio is a good way to find great new stuff. I think the problem is we're all pretty much being overwhelmed by a lot of great tracks just now

CatSummoningThe UserToBed.gif

Archived