IGNORED

Analog Minor (first pure analog track)

Brisbot

So I thought I'd post this: https://soundcloud.com/evoava/analog-minor

Yeah Analog's pretty fun. There's a different enjoyment in having so many knobs to turn vs turning them with a mouse or whatever. Though it's definitely less convenient! The track was somewhat limited as I couldn't figure out how to get a few things where I wanted them. I also had limited time as the equipment isn't mine :)

So I had to make a few edits using my DAW due to time, but every sound came from something analog which I made a point to do.

There's a different enjoyment in having so many knobs to turn vs turning them with a mouse or whatever.

I am forced out of experience to warn you! You should not fiddle these knobs to much! Musicians tend to get addicted to that fiddling real quick. Once a fiddler, always a fiddler. Trust me, i am one of these addicted loosers. See, it could quite possibly be that you end up with a live performance on stage or even worse. The hardest form of "hardware-only addiction" shows itself through an absolute hate of any kind of DAW, one take recordings where multi track is not allowed and the buying of modular gear.

You really want that?! :emotawesomepm9:

Regarding the track. I quite like what you did, some stuff sounds a bit "naked", but thats okay for the first experience with any kind of equipment. Structure wise, it was you i heard. Thats a good thing.

(Note to myself:

Do not buy modular gear.

Do not buy modular gear.

Do not buy modular gear.

Do not buy modular gear.

Do not buy modular gear.)

Thx, n' thx 4 listening MisterE, Verdant hickies, Mcderb..git..

I am forced out of experience to warn you! You should not fiddle these knobs to much! Musicians tend to get addicted to that fiddling real quick. Once a fiddler, always a fiddler. Trust me, i am one of these addicted loosers. See, it could quite possibly be that you end up with a live performance on stage or even worse. The hardest form of "hardware-only addiction" shows itself through an absolute hate of any kind of DAW, one take recordings where multi track is not allowed and the buying of modular gear.

You really want that?! :emotawesomepm9:

Heh, that's not quite what I meant. It's more like it's fun to just turn physical knobs for everything vs virtual knobs on a screen, but like I said the inconvenience of analog when you're used to the, for me, notably quicker software, cancels it out. I get impatient. So I am not and endless knob twiddler. :)

My #1 goal is to make music. The second I get an interesting sound, it's either recorded for probable later use or thrown down immediately.

If I had a choice between a room full of analog or a ton of fr33 software, I'll take the software(provided it's all good on both sides), it's just an experience to use the analog! It also is inspirational because that's not my usual form of work.

I'd only use pure analog if I could somehow 100% integrate all it with my DAW being the sequencer. I'm not a big fan of hardware sequencers. They're not as exact as I like em at all.

I'd only use pure analog if I could somehow 100% integrate all it with my DAW being the sequencer.

Thats perfectly possible, with the right amount of money. Anyways...

I'm not a big fan of hardware sequencers. They're not as exact as I like em at all.

I hate them too. Most of them suck, maybe this one will be a bit less sucky -> http://squarp.net...maybe.

nice tune, like the pads especially

Thanks BCM, I was wondering when you'd like one of my tracks. no joke. Heh.

Yeah, this is pretty cool.

:)

I hate them too. Most of them suck, maybe this one will be a bit less sucky -> http://squarp.net...maybe.

Well it's more I dislike the workflow of hardware sequencers. I like easily putting things where i want them! The only issue with software sequencers perhaps is the fact that the graphics can sometimes fuck with you're head. I'm often closing my eyes and listening and imagining how I want something to sound. for whatever reason you can hear it differently when you see whats coming up.

Fuck, those drums. Very, very nice. Reminds me a bit of µ's latest album, in a good way.

May I ask where those drums are coming from?

I like the way analog sounds, but I also like how much weird shit you can do with digital oscillators, so my MKS-30 goes unused most of the time.

Guest GateFour

this is cool - love the drums and the warmness of the synths. Makes me wanna get an old analog synth... but yeah, I can see how the workflow is annoying. I have a guitar pedal right now and it already feels like a hassle with wiring... maybe I just need to wrap my head around with it a bit more.

Fuck, those drums. Very, very nice. Reminds me a bit of µ's latest album, in a good way.

May I ask where those drums are coming from?

I like the way analog sounds, but I also like how much weird shit you can do with digital oscillators, so my MKS-30 goes unused most of the time.

Heh, those drums are an 808 :)

If it does sound like that, then I need to Mu's latest stuff. I haven't caught up with him in a while.

I was thinking about using digital + analog but decided to go analog just to experience it!

this is cool - love the drums and the warmness of the synths. Makes me wanna get an old analog synth... but yeah, I can see how the workflow is annoying. I have a guitar pedal right now and it already feels like a hassle with wiring... maybe I just need to wrap my head around with it a bit more.

Well to be honest, it was annoying learning how to use it when I know I won't be able to use it much in the future. That was always in the back of my head... so yeah!

• 2 weeks later...

When that soft pad/lead melody comes it, it is just the icing on the cake. So big sounding... more of this stuff please. :) I have also been checking out your soundcloud. Some great variety in there.

Hey Haste! Thanks for listening man. Thought this thread was dead. heh

I definitely have more of this in the works. I'm actually working on two similar tracks, one that's similar to this but shows a lot more promise!

Can't wait to get out these 3 tracks I've been working on now, hopefully even more variety :)

What exactly are you referring to actually? I don't remember ever giving analog a stern talking down to. Heh.

I've flip flopped in the past on my views. I like to think they're somewhat nuanced now though. You can make good music with 'horrible vsts' so it's always been kinda irrelevant to me, though when I got the chance to play with hardware I definitely took it and spent some time learning how to use it, and have been going back to play with it some more since this track so yeah. :)

You know, there are other pros to analog not related to actual audio, such as being able to listen to your track better instead of having a timeline in front of your face which slightly screws with your brain. I think it results in better judgements. Ever since I've started working with analog, whenever I'm in front of my computer I'm constantly closing my eyes and listening instead of looking at a timeline.

It also demands more of your attention since your music's right in front of you, and that's all that's there. Especially when there's a room dedicated to it.When you're on a computer you know, there's the taskbar down bottom. There's the internet. Skype. etc. I think one day I'll get a computer dedicated to making music and put it in a music room with analog/digital stuff. It's only for music making. I'll have a different computer in a different room for other stuff. I could just turn everything off on this one, but the idea of a dedicated computer is tempting. I could just partition a part of the computer with a different OS installation and that can be my computer, but I als

Not referring to anything in particular, I just meant that, you are open to the positives of software rather than being an 'analog/hardware is everything' kind of person. So having a balanced view on both is interesting to consider once you are making all analog tracks and using hardware sequencers. For example, how it has affected what/how you were making music or thinking about it etc.

oh okay, I've never gotten the 'only one or the other' thing. Personally I like having lots of options in front of me. It helps keep my attention :D.

Plus, with software there's stuff like additive synthesis/spectral synthesis. You just can't overlook these things.

Actually it's funny that you mention that since I'm working on a track that's part analog part software at the moment.

Archived