IGNORED

Grimes - Art Angels

I dislike this album. Hit list fodder, no edge. Bland. Disappointment hello.

Edited by Gocab

edit: this album sorta reminds me of purity ring's second album. i guess artists get big and get boring?

yeah that second purity ring was pretty meh too

it's really weird because I feel like PR and music journalism have so much crossover right now that the latter has become irrelevant...the days of NME, pitchfork, SPIN, etc. actually shitting on an album or likewise praising something out of no where is long gone. it's kind of a good thing (a lot of now classic albums were duds back in the day, Slowive is a good example, and the shoegaze scene was killed off by bad press) but at the same time I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to a.) be a decent music writer trying to publish something damning and blunt b.) be an artists trying to organically create buzz without some bullshit middlemen PR team.

regarding this album I saw a theory that Claire has been surrounded by so many positive folks, both professional peers and newer collegues, that unlike her past albums this was recorded in a context where she was bound to be praised regardless of what she did. I still think she did this 100% herself and without influence but I do wonder if the lack of a more insular, cut-off situation dampened her creativity a bit. same with her musical ability - ironically she's more skilled than ever, whereas her past moments of brilliance came out of fucking around at home.

Edited by joshuatx

i like a few songs on this album. more than i thought i would based on scream and flesh without blood. the album starts getting better around kill v maim, although i could've done without the weird attempt at screamo vocals on that specific track.

she screams a lot live, did it both times I've seen her, so maybe she was trying to incorporate that in some of the songs? seems out of place on this one though cuz the songs are so poppy, like live she'd do random screaming and chanting or other almost goth-y bjork nonsense before songs like "nightmusic" but it totally fit the mood.

when it comes to the lamer tracks, "Pin" for example imo, this will still make for a great end credit song for an anime show, she even had that vibe on some older songs like this collab

also, she could of made a much shittier album and i'd still back it to some degree (i still want to wear my Grimes shirt in person after all), I really can't think of a female musician involved in every single aspect of the songs shes releasing - not to mention the artwork - that's this big.

yeah, basically. i have a lot of respect for her learning new instruments and producing her tracks top to bottom (only sending them off to be mixed). especially after she dipped her feet into mainstream production where she stepped away from the boards and made true pop garbage that she apparently disliked enough to completely scrap.

saw her last nite in atlanta and janelle monae showed up for her spot on the song she's on and it was really weird because half the audience was teenage girls who screamed whenever she did anything like they were at a beatles concert. there was a lot of energy in the crowd and in her performance, which was cool, but the sound was utter shit and her set was barely an hr (maybe less). won't be returning to buckhead theatre

i quite like kill v maim and it was her non-encore (she told the audience she hates the whole going off stage and waiting for the crowd to chant so she was just going to play her encore song now)

what probably saves a lot of these songs for me is i can't understand 99% of the lyrics so i just think of her voice as an instrument.

• 1 month later...
Guest bitroast

im a bit addicted to that song. help me!

lol. this post put me in a "yeah. i should probably buy this record next time i get the chance" kind of mood. then i realised Realiti is omitted from the vinyl tracklist. :|

• 2 months later...
Guest bitroast

oh god. the old version of realiti (this one) is so good / so much better ( imo!!).

finally got around to listening to the album and ... big fan :):)

• 1 month later...
Guest bitroast

still giving this album the odd listen.

it's a weird mix of great songs mixed with really, really annoying shitty songs (imo... of course). it's a strange mix of liking the album, wanting to like the album and kind of hating the album. some sweet pop songs in the mix though. old realiti is still constantly popping in my head.

will watch he coachella set with popcorn.gif out and have a laff.

stuff like this ... :psyduck:

Guest bitroast

they play kill v maim on the radio at the gym

other than that i haven't listened to this in a whilllle (but i haven't really been listening to music period so)

2 homeless ?

still giving this album the odd listen.

it's a weird mix of great songs mixed with really, really annoying shitty songs (imo... of course). it's a strange mix of liking the album, wanting to like the album and kind of hating the album. some sweet pop songs in the mix though. old realiti is still constantly popping in my head.

What in the hell is that Coachella set!?

The screaming, jesus man.

That was pretty terrible, she seems unable to stay on pitch for most of the set as well. Ugh.

I mean no disrespect to the disabled but her vocals in that Coachella performance sound like a person who was born deaf.

I think the opposite is true, she was born with exceptional hearing and can hear frequencies the average adult cannot which is why she sings so high. A big chunk of her songs are in-audible to most people.

• 2 months later...

Okay okay

Something about Grimes that I really (x10) bloody dislike, but I just watched her set at Glastonbury, Jesus it was good.

Sure, no music was played live, even 80% of the vocals seemed mimed, even when she talks I feel a wave of irritation go up my spine, but fuck me it was great!

I think its all to do with the girls dancing and the lasers, plus a few decent thumping tunes. I can't believe I'm writing this and most of all I can't believe I'm gonna send it.......*sends*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03yr49c/glastonbury-2016-grimes#group=p03z0qzk

Edited by beerwolf

fuck u BBC iPlayer

yeah, least you didn't say fuck u beerwolf lol :beer:

Just imagine your electronic heterosexual wet dream come true...

Edited by beerwolf

Definitely going to watch it again tomorrow. It's having the same effect on me as did Lana Del Rays set a few years back :flower:

Edited by beerwolf

Not actually heard anything by her until this pretty good interview into her work process - https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/grimes-bird-calls-and-dentists-drills/

(stop trying to look up her skirt you filthy beast)

im still amazed that Visions was made in a week on garageband and its still the best