IGNORED

Autechre @ Dekmantel 2015

Draft78

well, you could get into more immersive environment in museum` setting. raves are seedy, druggy and full of idiots. well, in the 90's they were. im just getting old i guess

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

raves are seedy, druggy and full of idiots. well, in the 90's they were. im just getting old i guess

too young to have partied in the 90s but I don't think anything has changed, fair point though, I don't mind it myself

One thing that really bothers me (haven't seen Ae live yet) is the amount of talking that goes on whilst they're performing, it almost sounds like muttering at times. Very annoying!

well, you could get into more immersive environment in museum` setting. raves are seedy, druggy and full of idiots. well, in the 90's they were. im just getting old i guess

rave seeds are to be planted, which grow & blossom into rave trees, sprinkling a shower of k-holes onto those under its branches in the wind

One thing that really bothers me (haven't seen Ae live yet) is the amount of talking that goes on whilst they're performing, it almost sounds like muttering at times. Very annoying!

Aye was gonna say - Any live sets I've heard from the last few years seem to be splattered with fall blown conversations as if they were there as a meeting point and annoyingly someone just happens to be playing some loud music in the background.

Aye was gonna say - Any live sets I've heard from the last few years seem to be splattered with fall blown conversations as if they were there as a meeting point and annoyingly someone just happens to be playing some loud music in the background.

Exactly. It's like I'd be there spending my time telling people to shut the hell up rather than enjoying the spectacle. I remember listening to a set recording from years back, where I could distinctly hear a girl asking some guy "you actually like this music" ...

yeah the social expectations would be one major advantage of seeing a live show in a venue like a concert hall, but unless the soundsystem is too weak, talking is not too much of a problem for me.

Yeah being actually there would be another thing all together for sure, I'm just giving my take on it from a listener of recordings - which the jibber jabber comes as very annoying to me, I'm hoping they come to oz some day!

Yeah being actually there would be another thing all together for sure, I'm just giving my take on it from a listener of recordings - which the jibber jabber comes as very annoying to me, I'm hoping they come to oz some day!

It's definitely annoying with recordings... there is that one Boards of Canada track floating around from a live set that hasn't seen any kind of major release which is really gorgeous, but it's got folks talking all over it. Machinedrum ended up cleaning it up a bit and incorporated the chatter into the music but I'd prefer it without... :catsupine:

When you're at the gigs, the talking becomes secondary to the music. Been to lots and it really isn't a problem if you engage with the music.

Its just that in-crowd mics and phones are gonna bring in the natter more unless you're clever about where you stand.

Been there done that!

My Italian rave buddy shouts over all my recordings. Don't blame him for enjoying the show his way, blame me for not mic'ing up far from the guy - but he's my lil buddy, what can i say :)

My Italian rave buddy shouts over all my recordings. Don't blame him for enjoying the show his way, blame me for not mic'ing up far from the guy - but he's my lil buddy, what can i say :)

well what can i say... i fan hate those kind of people. same like ppl which like to dance when everyone else are siting and trying to watch through them.

well what can i say... i fan hate those kind of people. same like ppl which like to dance when everyone else are siting and trying to watch through them.

Hey if people want to dance they should go for it - autechre aren't really big on visuals or stage presence.

As for the talking it is quite different on recordings to being there. Saw ae last month and there was a very 'confused' German guy who kept asking me 'VAT IS DIS? IS IT MUSIC? IS IT NOISE?'. The volume's at such a level it didn't bother me at all but if I'd been making a sneaky recording he'd have been all over it.

Back on my feet... So this was a good night :) the venue itself was quite IDM, maybe not as much as the last time I saw them:

MuziekgebouwAanTIJ.jpg

muziekgebouw.jpg

As you can see it's not really a venue for techno parties, so no drinks were allowed in the hall unfortunately. We watched Manuel Gottsching from where this picture was taken and I was sucking it up like a sponge. Him picking up the guitar made it sound more dated than the rest of the 1981 piece, but still a very hypnotic experience.

One thing that I noticed was that even though it was completely sold out, the room really wasn't that full. Very strict safety regulations I'm guessing, but very unfortunate for the ones missing out... It was a bit more crowded than this but this was taken about 15 minutes before Manuel Gottsching started:

CLLoCUoUwAALleY.jpg

Autechre was supposed to start at 10 pm, so while they were already standing there (with the lights on) they weren't given a queue to start. That took about 25 minutes of them just waiting. Sean seemed bored and maybe as a queue to the venue, or out of protest, or just for lols threw in one huge loud kickdrum sound over the PA. Shortly after they started off.

Had my eyes closed most of the times because I stood near the front, where unfortunately two emergency exit signs made it not so dark... Again, enough empty spaces to fit at least another 100 people in. Last fifteen minutes or so I went to the middle of the venue because the Matrix-cave-tribal-dancing-scene-style dancers were getting a bit too much for me. I also didn't see anyone record or make videos, except the high-quality recording device Autechre brought themselves :)

The music itself was radically different from the last time I saw them (only a few months ago). Previous gig I danced like crazy, this time I was completely immersed. Similar deconstructions of EDM drops and shredded dubstep wobbles combined with elements of Exai and L-Event and most of all, completely new sounds that were all over the place. I can see why their set is really meant for experiencing live (more than the Utrecht gig), the impact it has can never be translated into a bootleg (but fuck that, I'd still want to hear it again anyway :)). Absolutely insane, more intense than last time.

Also:

https://instagram.com/p/5zDDvzNXhH/

https://instagram.com/p/5y9nxmMDU9/

I also just saw a tweet of someone that walked out after 20 minutes because he was an old Amber / Incunabula fan and was probably expecting that...

Thanks a lot for this!

I wondered, considering that the event was almost entirely devoted to them, happen to have played for more time, or they are limited to one hour, as in previous live?

When I first planned to come to see them at dekmantel, looking at photos of the theater, I was restless to see the chairs: imagine falling into the ae black hole, bound to a chair. I sincerely hope that they have removed it...

When you're at the gigs, the talking becomes secondary to the music. Been to lots and it really isn't a problem if you engage with the music.

well... if someone, involved by what is going on, it begins to emit primordial phonations I may be fine ... the problem begins when two guys decide to talk about something, exactly at that time, that fucking hour, that I wait for years, the hour in which I can forget human condition. Generally, those who talk, talk about technical things, reducing the poetry of what is happening, to materials and prosaic notions, and to be heard they must speak as loud as they have in the body. All this is paradoxical: talking about how Autechre may have got a certain sound, you lose the reason why Autechre have created that sound: do listen to you. The serious thing is that I'm not listen too, i, that had nothing to do shit, I, that would just concentrate on the reason for which I took an airplane and flew over europe.

mmh... sorry for that grammatical carnage, i know, perfectly...

next time, stand *next to me ae35unit; i silence the talkers with immaculate dancing and "oh-no-you-dih-ant" hand gestures (all perfectly choreographed in my dancemoves of course).

Both Gottsching and Autechre played for an hour. Just read why this gig was held at this location, the rest of the festival locations used Funktion One and AE didn't want to play on that system (of course there are other factors too, darkness, locked doors, no drinks, etc., but this one was new for me).

I always thought Funktion One's were meant to be the top of the top in terms of gig speakers ?

That's what I thought too! Whatever they used now though, it was great imo (there were people complaining about it I saw afterwards but that's always going to be the case of course), but would like to know why they don't want to use Function One...

Source is the boss of the festival (Dutch only): http://3voor12.vpro.nl/nieuws/2015/februari/Dekmantel-interview-2015.html

I guess it's time for a new AAA: what's wrong with a Funktion One system?

sean, pls

And please give my new laptop a name ;D

kthxbye

They said in the AAA that they never really sound good on them plus they commented the systems at Berghain and Bloc were poorly set up too.

Searching the sheet for 'F1' should get you to both answers quickly.

I've never noticed this at an actual live ae set, but it always seems to show up on the recordings.

It's very annoying. Most likely the same breed of idiot that talks during a film at the cinema.

Archived