IGNORED

IDM>>>

modey

Finally experimented with using the audio inputs on the Monomachine lastnight. I'm hoping to flesh this one out a bit more, maybe with a better bassline (perhaps something a bit acidy?), and more concise chord progressions/melodic content. Anyway, I thought it turned out pretty alright for a first, rough take.

https://soundcloud.com/pselodux/plq6-tk1

There's some cool stuff here. Good for an experiment although maybe a bit long :)

I'd probably agree with the bass, maybe not necessarily something acidic but maybe something deeper? I like the sound of the mono machine, I'm thinking about getting one but have yet to be *really* convinced.

What did you run into the mono?

The electribe ES-1; it's using some samples for percussion, fed into the monomachine's compressor machine and using subtle delay, EQ and distortion. It's not a dramatic change to the original sound, but I tried some other experiments and it sounded pretty cool. The distortion does interesting things to already distorted sounds!

Yeah, actually I reckon it needs the Levin touch in terms of bassline. Good idea.

I'll just grab the bass guitar, think "what would Levin do" and crank out some smooth riffs.

Guest brendyman

I like the overall sound of this, especially your percussion. You should do something in this style with a little more harmonic/melodic progression, and seeing from your original post you already have plans to do it.

I like that syncopated chord synth that comes in about halfway through, reminds me of machinedrum, sort of has a footworky vibe.

Thanks! Actually there's an idea; perhaps I can change up the percussion rhythm to something a little more footworky when that chord synth comes in..

Is the kick a bit blown out?

It's distorted and compressed, so yeah heh. I'm still new to processing on the Monomachine so it's not at its most optimal sound, but I'll get there.

I really like the way the hats are flying around. Are they all pitched differently? Good sense of space due to that sort of fluttering around.

I'm not sure if I personally like the chord progression but it's well interesting as it's kind of darting major/minor/major/minor, to my ear anyway, was that the intention? It's kind of unsettling whilst also intriguing...which is IDM through and through.

I'm into minimal stuff that builds and builds and for that reason I actually like your bassline. But I'd beef it out and make it move more with an LFO or something but then I love LFO affected stuff so it's personal taste right. I'd add weight to the kick too if it was me but I'm crap at all that stuff so can't really talk from experience.

Cool.

Archived