IGNORED

Quick Trip / Golden Wall

[sc5]216477112[/sc5]

This came out real minimal and gloopy, maybe analordy (???).

one time when I was on drugs, and freaking out, I came upon a golden wall that stretched in all directions, infinitely. I walked up to the wall and felt its cool smooth surface and felt a profound calm and love. my panic and anxiety was, at least, momentarily, alleviated and i basked for a bit. the wall was totally inscrutable and it struck me that it would give me no answers and no clues about what was on the other side of it. true story. heh.

Guest brendyman

I'm really impressed by that synth that's in the song from the very beginning. Hardware or software?

Also, I think the snare could be a bit more powerful.

I'm really impressed by that synth that's in the song from the very beginning. Hardware or software?

Also, I think the snare could be a bit more powerful.

software. but i spend a lot of time trying to get it to sound like hardware :)

I'm usually not that much into this kind of music, but I really like the sound of the bass - especially during the parts where you've added that nasty reverb. Really cool sounding :)

I kinda wish the drums would be a bit more varied as they're a bit too drum machine-like for my taste. But hey, that's just me :)

I'm usually not that much into this kind of music, but I really like the sound of the bass - especially during the parts where you've added that nasty reverb. Really cool sounding :)

I kinda wish the drums would be a bit more varied as they're a bit too drum machine-like for my taste. But hey, that's just me :)

thanks for the post. yeah i was trying to go real simple on the drums. can't say why for sure, just felt like i was so proud of the bass that i wanted all the blippidy blops to be the focus, and i don't quite have the mixing chops to keep everyone in their lanes.

Actually, I think I take it back. It's more the drum samples that I think need a bit of variation. They work really well for the intro, but once the track finally kicks in it would be great if you replaced the kick by something a bit deeper - I think :)

Very cool, it reminds me of analord a bit, but you have a different style.

Hmm, as far as feedback goes, I'm more of a fan of the sounds than the melody. I don't feel myself being lead anywhere. Sometimes it seems like it's going to go in a direction, but it's still entertaining due to the sounds so good job there.

I kinda feel like a noob asking this but, how are you getting that sound at 2:04? The reverby backgroundy out-of-phasey acid line. I hear this sometimes in these kinds of tracks but have never figured out how to get it. I haven't really tried , but I need to know. Heh. I'm guessing it's just wet reverbed with a short decay.

Very cool, it reminds me of analord a bit, but you have a different style.

Hmm, as far as feedback goes, I'm more of a fan of the sounds than the melody. I don't feel myself being lead anywhere. Sometimes it seems like it's going to go in a direction, but it's still entertaining due to the sounds so good job there.

I kinda feel like a noob asking this but, how are you getting that sound at 2:04? The reverby backgroundy out-of-phasey acid line. I hear this sometimes in these kinds of tracks but have never figured out how to get it. I haven't really tried , but I need to know. Heh. I'm guessing it's just wet reverbed with a short decay.

thanks for the feedback. the simple drums were intentional, but i have to admit the weakness in the area of melody reflects my own weakness in that area. i spend a lot of time getting things shaped the way i like, and when it comes to to actually writing a catchy line or some nice chords, i tend to get frustrated. i should probably spend more time with a guitar or something like that.

as far as the reverby out of phasey acid line goes, you basically got it. i like to dynamically adjust the dry/wet on a chorus effect on the bass synth + i usually stick a short decay reverb on the main mixer as return effect + another short decay reverb on the whole song to mess with. i'm probably violating some fundamental production rule about layering reverb but as long is none of them have long decays or predelays, i think you can get to some weirdness without going over the top and pushing things too far off the grid.

Thanks for the explication Cooliofranco! Heh, there are not production rules, though I'm sure you know that. Com Truise also does something similar. He adds in a very very subtle phaser/flanger or/and chorus effect on the main mixer.

Anyway, about the melody. I have the suspicion that AFX likes to write out the melody, and then if the melody is good enough, he'll then be justified in taking the time to flesh it out. Stuff like Circlont10a seems to point to this. I think it's a good practice, to make sure you have a good melody before going into the track. Especially since production takes longer than coming up with the melody.

Basically, if a melody sounds good with basic waveforms, then it's sure as hell going to sound good when fleshed out fully. I've been implementing this idea into practice a bit myself. It's a bit hard to break out of old habits though. You have to force yourself to sit through it at first, and i'm still in that stage. I always want to break away and start making the sound more complex, but that's just a sign that the melody isn't where it should be.

Melody& rhythm over production and sound design.

Archived