IGNORED

Jean-Michel Jarre - E-Project

Rubin Farr

The Tangerine Dream one was pretty good (always happy to get what scraps of new TD we're getting now Edgar's gone) and the M83 one was ok so there's defintely some promise in this. Jarre hasn't done anything worth listening to since the surprisingly decent Oxygene sequel nearly twenty years ago so it's nice to know he's still got something left in him.

The Tangerine Dream one was pretty good (always happy to get what scraps of new TD we're getting now Edgar's gone) and the M83 one was ok so there's defintely some promise in this. Jarre hasn't done anything worth listening to since the surprisingly decent Oxygene sequel nearly twenty years ago so it's nice to know he's still got something left in him.

You're right; Oxygene 7-13 was actually excellent, and to me had a very unique sound/atmosphere/ (even if one or two melodic ideas were repeated from the first one.) No albums before or since have matched its feel for me (and I've hunted through various knock-offs and new age/electronica things inspired by those albums.)

I thought Metamorphoses was a bit underrated too; some of the songs were dead cheesy, but there's a lot of sonic detail and some inventive and very odd moments in there.

Zoolook is a piece of bonkers genius too. It came out in 1984 but still sounds so strange and fresh!

So I am tentatively looking forward to this E-Project.

Zoolook is a fantastic record, the only '80s album of his that really works, I think. The heavy focus on vocals was a bold concept so early on in digital sampling but it works really well.

Guest Chesney

I was a big jarre fan as a we kid and lots of fond nostalgia for him. Dude is a fountain of youth too.

Revolutions is pure IDM made on the D50.

I was a big jarre fan as a we kid and lots of fond nostalgia for him. Dude is a fountain of youth too.

Revolutions is pure IDM made on the D50.

Similar experience, first CD I ever owned as a kid was Rendez-Vous. I think listening to him really got me into Electronic music. It wouldn't have been the Iron Maiden.

The start of Tokyo Kid from Revolutions sounds like...

[youtubehd]wwB41UGYBPk[/youtubehd]

Eager to hear this, glad he's finally putting something out that's not yet another bloody Oxygene rerelease

You're right; Oxygene 7-13 was actually excellent, and to me had a very unique sound/atmosphere/ (even if one or two melodic ideas were repeated from the first one.) No albums before or since have matched its feel for me (and I've hunted through various knock-offs and new age/electronica things inspired by those albums.)

I thought Metamorphoses was a bit underrated too; some of the songs were dead cheesy, but there's a lot of sonic detail and some inventive and very odd moments in there.

What about Chronologie? My fav album of his since his "classic" period

PS fucking love those 80s snares on Zoolookologie

I didn't go to the best school in the world, probably due to the fact I'd rather be out climbing trees and fishing than studying maths and French. Music class was basically a fun-filled riot akin to a chimpanzee enclosure and instruments were very interesting shaped missiles lol. The one thing that I ever got out of that class was when the music teacher bought in a series of records to play us (for what reason I can't remember). One of them was Equinoxe 5. Remember it very clearly, one of those occassions when you get pinned back in your chair and your mind gets sonically blown. Epic moment.

The one thing that I ever got out of that class was when the music teacher bought in a series of records to play us (for what reason I can't remember). One of them was Equinoxe 5. Remember it very clearly, one of those occassions when you get pinned back in your chair and your mind gets sonically blown. Epic moment.

I'm guessing you were listening to it on a Maxell ?

_5867885_orig.jpg

Yep!

The one thing that I ever got out of that class was when the music teacher bought in a series of records to play us (for what reason I can't remember). One of them was Equinoxe 5. Remember it very clearly, one of those occassions when you get pinned back in your chair and your mind gets sonically blown. Epic moment.

I'm guessing you were listening to it on a Maxell ?

_5867885_orig.jpg

That's the one! Those rushes, when they happen, are pretty special. Life changing. Nothing else matters from that point on apart from pursuing that path set out before you. Music is magic imo.

Eager to hear this, glad he's finally putting something out that's not yet another bloody Oxygene rerelease

What about Chronologie? My fav album of his since his "classic" period

PS fucking love those 80s snares on Zoolookologie

Chronologie is pretty great. Nice absurd mix of huge emotive Jarre melodies with early '90s dance sounds. Works way better than it should.

Archived