IGNORED

CHATMM 15 Submissions Wanted

hello spiral

Hello.

The baton has been passed, end of an era etc etc.

Friendly Foil has retired as curator of the CHATMM compilations and Roasty and I have taken over.

The next theme will be Academic Electronic Music.

We mean this in a vintage 1930-1960/70 sense. Stiff audio experiments, geometric diagrammatic artwork, men in white/tweed coats, smoking pipes and toiling over vast machines with blinking lights spilling out ticker tape.

Also, we'd appreciate it if you also submitted at least a paragraph with your track explaining what the concept was and how you went about executing it. 'show your working out' so to speak.

FAQ:

Will someone be mastering it?

Yes.

What format should submissions be in?

Wav or Aiff

Regarding the text, can it just be technical details or does it have to be a 'concept'?

I thought "show your working out" p much had this covered

What's the maximum track length?

You can submit up to two tracks, if you want. If you're collaborating on a track with someone else, you can submit that too, though it'll count as one of the two tracks. Please keep them at a sensible length though (don't make me force a time limit - but if absolutely must - 8 minutes max)

Some examples:

Feel free to post other examples.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, i thought academica electronica could also be seen as ironic idm

haha

i've already started working, but having read this i'd best tone down the funk a bit (except if i take a liberal studies approach.. )

Post some artist statements too please, that's half the fun!

The piece (originally called 8'37" (at times also 8'26"), perhaps as a nod to John Cage's 4'33") applies the sonoristic technique and rigors of specific counterpoint to an ensemble of strings treated to unconventional scoring.

The piece's unorthodox, largely symbol-based score sometimes directs the musicians to play at various unspecific points in their range or to concentrate on certain textural effects; they are directed to play on the opposite side of the bridge or to slap the body of the instrument. Penderecki sought to heighten the effects of traditional chromaticism by using microtonality (composing in quarter tones) which sometimes makes dissonance more prominent than it would be in traditional tonality. The piece includes an "invisible canon", in 36 voices, an overall musical texture that is more important than the individual notes, making it a leading example of sound mass composition. As a whole, Threnody constitutes one of the most extensive elaborations on the tone cluster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threnody_to_the_Victims_of_Hiroshima

forgot posting the academic statement:

I am sitting in a room (1969) is one of composer Alvin Lucier's best known works, featuring Lucier recording himself narrating a text, and then playing the recording back into the room, re-recording it. The new recording is then played back and re-recorded, and this process is repeated. Since all rooms have characteristic resonance or formant frequencies (e.g. different between a large hall and a small room), the effect is that certain frequencies are emphasized as they resonate in the room, until eventually the words become unintelligible, replaced by the pure resonant harmonies and tones of the room itself.

Guest bitroast

forgot posting the academic statement:

I am sitting in a room (1969) is one of composer Alvin Lucier's best known works, featuring Lucier recording himself narrating a text, and then playing the recording back into the room, re-recording it. The new recording is then played back and re-recorded, and this process is repeated. Since all rooms have characteristic resonance or formant frequencies (e.g. different between a large hall and a small room), the effect is that certain frequencies are emphasized as they resonate in the room, until eventually the words become unintelligible, replaced by the pure resonant harmonies and tones of the room itself.

was about to comment on this one and how truly awesome it is that the academic music included the academic statement within itself but then you ruined it THX

Archived