IGNORED

Hangable Auto Bulb 20th Anniversary

Rubin Farr

I'd probably been listening to Aphex Twin for about 5 years before I even found out this EP existed. Then I saw it in a shop while I was visiting Ireland, bought it, put it on, and was all "holy shit early Aphex drill 'n' bass... how did I not know about this??" I was struck by how much more prominent the melodies were than on Drukqs, and the shrill found sound percussion. Classic.

• 4 years later...

My first listen was those same glitchy MP3s everyone was talking about earlier. Finally had a decent job in 2000 and was able to buy the HABs on Ebay, it was my first proper listen. I was so used to the encoding glitches that hearing it proper took me a minute to get used to!

Great tunes. They were very inspirational to me, coming from a PC tracker music focused background to hear all those high speed edits going around and trying to map how he did that to my universe. Started speeding up those ticks per minute after that and looked at things a lot differently.

Crazy to think these are coming up on 25 years old.

Never been massive into this record, but at the same time I always look forward to giving it a fresh spin.

Which I guess since this bump will be sometime this weekend :aphexsign:

• 3 weeks later...

I had the vinyl, lucky enough to find it when it came out in Sister Ray, Berwick st.

I used to listen to Every Day at 33 rpm, it just seemed right. (You know that Warp thing where they deliberately dont say which speed to play it at). The vocal sample sounds like an old woman at that speed, reminiscing about something.

Heres the 33rpm version:

Although Bleep has it at 45 rpm so I guess thats the official one. At that speed the vocal sample is accurate (I have the original sample somewhere) but the music sounds far too fast to me, I got too used to the slower version.

https://bleep.com/release/5004-afx-hangable-auto-bulb

Havent listened to this one in a while..  Giving it a listen now and loving all the detail in the tracks I thought I knew fairly well.  I know its been discussed before, but imo its an album (its longer than RDJ, lol)

Random thought, the bassline towards the end of Children Talking (4:40 to the end) sounds like the same synth as Autechre - Gelk..  anyone know what it is?

1 hour ago, zazen said:

For anyone that hasn't heard these, these are the original vocal samples from a bbc library sample thing or somewhere

mashedpotatoes.mp3 347.8 kB · 1 download

everyday.mp3 268.55 kB · 0 downloads

https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-Children-Talking/release/630289

It's from this LP, I think I have an mp3 rip of it somewhere.

Played this again a few days ago and still had the similar effect: kind of cool and brim-full of IDM tactics but doesn't quite have that Aphexian sparkle I'm searching for.

However I did notice that these tracks have a lot of similar ideas and sounds that would be utilised to supreme effect on the Come To Daddy EP.

And by Jove that release has Aphexian sparkle by the megaton!

Archived