IGNORED

Why do douchebags like new drum n bass?

peace 7

I could figure this out, but I'm wondering what y'all have to say about this scientific phenomenon. I'm talking about the shit that has that overly compressed drum_n_bass-snare_all.wav in it, often with off beat bass drum to make it sound edgy (edge of what?).

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drum'n'bass and breakbeat have always been the favorite genre of many spanish chavs aka 'canis'

cani.jpg <- this guy right here loved damogen furies

And I'm talking since the 90s. My sis used to laugh at me for listening to the Prodigy's first album, saying that's chav music

I think it's important to differentiate two things here.

Amazing and beautiful early-mid 90's DnB/jungle with lush pads and phat beats like this:

Corny late 90's - today, douchebag, techboy drum and bass like this:

One is amazing, the latter is for fags

Well my co-worker liked this guy and pretty much just this guy. He dug some other mixes I played at work - that newer DJ Shadow future bass mix, some footwork, some old jungle, but he always insisted Maduk was the best. I liked it ok but I got pretty bored of it.

Anyway, the same co-worker is in jail now. I think he was a meth addict, or at least oxycontin, which he admitted to doing "in the past" - dude lied and manipulated people a lot, including me. So he might apply to this thread. Go figure.

I presume because once-upon-a-time it was made by badass working-class lads from the uk, who were bought up on a diet of early hip-hop and graff and with that vibe under their wings started to create their own sound. Some splintered off into IDM (mention no names but you know who they, and maybe the most talented (but maybe not so working class) the others were just into making raw DnB which portrayed their hard urban enviroment but with the afterglow of the great drugs that you could get back in the 90's. Which explains the hard, tough sound but also that trippy vibe just glowing out on the hinterlands of their sound.

Then dubstep evolved from that. Again just normal lads with a passion for music but with this the Jamaican influence comes through more strongly.

Then the assholes got hold of it.....

The pretentiousness levels of this thread make me dizzy. Jungle rollers get so boring after a while, late 90s neuro /techstep and onwards was great timeless music (everything by ed rush and optical/virus recordings still sounds as fresh today as it did in 98) and there's a ton of great neuro stuff being produced today, you're just getting stuck on the jump-up fad, while there's genius producers like Billain, Mefjus etc right under your noses...

I presume because once-upon-a-time it was made by badass working-class lads from the uk, who were bought up on a diet of early hip-hop and graff and with that vibe under their wings started to create their own sound. Some splintered off into IDM (mention no names but you know who they, and maybe the most talented (but maybe not so working class) the others were just into making raw DnB which portrayed their hard urban enviroment but with the afterglow of the great drugs that you could get back in the 90's. Which explains the hard, tough sound but also that trippy vibe just glowing out on the hinterlands of their sound.

Then dubstep evolved from that. Again just normal lads with a passion for music but with this the Jamaican influence comes through more strongly.

Then the assholes got hold of it.....

Totally

I used to love jungle. I still think it's the ultimate genre, because the people making it weren't musicians. The best artists are people who don't consider themselves artists, and the people who do are usually the most pretentious and annoying. [laughs] They've got their priorities wrong. They're just doing it to be artists rather than because they want to do it. And a lot of jungle people were actually car mechanics and painter-and-decorator types, like, pretty hardcore blokes. I wouldn't want to get into a fight with them. I know a few people who were like that, and I don't think that really exists any more. Maybe those sort of non-musician types do some dubstep stuff, or grime. But it didn't exist in jungle for long. There was only a couple of years where people didn't know what they were doing, and you got all these samples that are just totally not related in pitch. I really hunt down those records. They've got this ridiculous mishmash of things that totally don't go with each other at all. Obviously, after they've done it for a couple of years they learn how to make chords and stuff, and it's not so interesting now. - RDJ

I used to love jungle. I still think it's the ultimate genre, because the people making it weren't musicians. The best artists are people who don't consider themselves artists, and the people who do are usually the most pretentious and annoying. [laughs] They've got their priorities wrong. They're just doing it to be artists rather than because they want to do it. And a lot of jungle people were actually car mechanics and painter-and-decorator types, like, pretty hardcore blokes. I wouldn't want to get into a fight with them. I know a few people who were like that, and I don't think that really exists any more. Maybe those sort of non-musician types do some dubstep stuff, or grime. But it didn't exist in jungle for long. There was only a couple of years where people didn't know what they were doing, and you got all these samples that are just totally not related in pitch. I really hunt down those records. They've got this ridiculous mishmash of things that totally don't go with each other at all. Obviously, after they've done it for a couple of years they learn how to make chords and stuff, and it's not so interesting now. - RDJ

RDJ praising tracks for being out of key and tonally clashing... Syro makes more sense now.

Archived