IGNORED

Why do douchebags like new drum n bass?

peace 7

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regularly waste a few hours checking out grime on youtube and found a bit of a new guilty pleasure of grimey mc's on jump up,, Its weird I hated mc's back when i actual used to go to drum & bass nights and didn’t like jump up either and yet now find my self listening to stuff like this.. go figure!

Thanks for posting some proper choonage in this thread to "give hope to humanity drum n bass".

Yah, man. In the past 10 years there's been a lot of good drum n bass releases, but this can only be considered if drum n bass as a genre is widened a bit. Old school drum n bass is sort of dead, unless done in retro fashion. But then again, dgoHn is an artist who is consistently good; some old school vibez, some new. So I'm babbling at this point.

Genres are so silly, huh? What's in a name... Douchebag brostep is definitely a spinoff genre of drum n bass, and whatever it is, it's fucking shit. OR IS IT?!?!? Take away the drugs and partying from all electronic music, and the essence of the music is what remains... Has brostep shitestep improved peoples' lives? Yes. So then what... Then what maaan??? I suppose the point is that even shit can improve lives if result is good?

Fuck, man.

*bass, snare- bass snare!*

Thing focus of drum'n'bass is in the name - so if you're not doing anything interesting or new with your drums or bass then what's the point?

Fucking hell though, Form & Function II was one of the worst albums I ever bought. Only the remix of Ni-Ten-Ichi-Ryu had any semblance of the interesting programming and atmosphere of what I knew as Photek. The rest of it was in Pendulum territory.

I think the really sad thing is that Pendulum and such don't seem to be much of a 'gateway' band. I know plenty of people who got into a lot of amazing alternative/indie/punk stuff through originally discovering cheesy mainstream pop rock - but rarely come across a Pendulum fan who has bothered listening to much else in terms of dnb.

Npoess - Sweet posts, dude.

purlieu - I've written like 5 PhD thesis' worth of forum posts about Photek, because his material deserves serious analysis and a 2 hour documentary narrated by someone who doesn't know shit about music. There's a lot of Photek tracks that I don't like (well, most of the newer output), but then I decided to listen to some again to see if it'd grow on me. Some of it has. The thing is, it's almost impressive that someone can release music so tight, next level, and just ON IT, and then soon after release music that is seemingly shit.

So then I got to thinking that maybe his "shit" output has actually been just SO FUCKING ULTRA NEXT LEVEL, that there's no way that I could get it on first listen. I don't believe it, but that's the thing, myaaan-- if it's that next level and above my perceptive abilities, I'll never be able to get it. What if Photek has actually become some god level producer in the early 2000's, so nobody can really appreciate his later output?

Think about this shit, yo: In a couple weeks' time is the 17th anniversary of Form & Function. Even if it were released now, it would STILL be next level shit, SEVENTEEN YEARS LATER. The only reason why it can even sound dated is because of the trademark shuffle stylez of Photek, which we have a time reference for. He was starting to do that style in the early~mid 90's, and even after 20 years, not many people have jacked his style-- so there's a good chance that if he didn't come out in the 90's, Form & Function coming out now would blow our fucking minds (especially considering a lot of new minimal-tech-esque dnb has been stained with the heaviness of post-dubstep style bass, the lack of it would be very refreshing). The only difference in perception would be that nowadays it'd be considered more "minimal" than it was in 1998.

In summation, Photek was- conservatively- 10 years ahead of his time. If he kept getting better, his mid-2000's output is maybe something we won't really understand until like 2050 or someshit. OR... or- he was like a Sun that imploded.

Npoess - Sweet posts, dude.

purlieu - I've written like 5 PhD thesis' worth of forum posts about Photek, because his material deserves serious analysis and a 2 hour documentary narrated by someone who doesn't know shit about music. There's a lot of Photek tracks that I don't like (well, most of the newer output), but then I decided to listen to some again to see if it'd grow on me. Some of it has. The thing is, it's almost impressive that someone can release music so tight, next level, and just ON IT, and then soon after release music that is seemingly shit.

So then I got to thinking that maybe his "shit" output has actually been just SO FUCKING ULTRA NEXT LEVEL, that there's no way that I could get it on first listen. I don't believe it, but that's the thing, myaaan-- if it's that next level and above my perceptive abilities, I'll never be able to get it. What if Photek has actually become some god level producer in the early 2000's, so nobody can really appreciate his later output?

Think about this shit, yo: In a couple weeks' time is the 17th anniversary of Form & Function. Even if it were released now, it would STILL be next level shit, SEVENTEEN YEARS LATER. The only reason why it can even sound dated is because of the trademark shuffle stylez of Photek, which we have a time reference for. He was starting to do that style in the early~mid 90's, and even after 20 years, not many people have jacked his style-- so there's a good chance that if he didn't come out in the 90's, Form & Function coming out now would blow our fucking minds (especially considering a lot of new minimal-tech-esque dnb has been stained with the heaviness of post-dubstep style bass, the lack of it would be very refreshing). The only difference in perception would be that nowadays it'd be considered more "minimal" than it was in 1998.

In summation, Photek was- conservatively- 10 years ahead of his time. If he kept getting better, his mid-2000's output is maybe something we won't really understand until like 2050 or someshit. OR... or- he was like a Sun that imploded.

I first heard "The Water Margin" in a 1993 1995 (I think it was "A guy called gerald") essential mix. So he produced that track ages ago.

Still bump it too

re: Photek. Fuck yeah. The things I would do to see a re-release of the Truper singles (digital vinlys ov course) are non-mentionable on watmm

have you heard any of Scorn/Mick Harris' drum and bass shit? think you would dig it

Recommendations pls! didn't know he went that route (tbf I dunno much beyond gyral)

re: Photek. Fuck yeah. The things I would do to see a re-release of the Truper singles (digital vinlys ov course) are non-mentionable on watmm

have you heard any of Scorn/Mick Harris' drum and bass shit? think you would dig it

Recommendations pls! didn't know he went that route (tbf I dunno much beyond gyral)

he has a later period drum&bass record he made thats really fucking solid.

this album is pure gold as far as im concerned

its under his rarely used moniker Quoit

from 2001:

this one is nice (one of my faves, a bit more jungly than the other Quoit stuff)

here is one from 1996 that still stands up very nicely

i wouldn't say it hits the same unique zone that his Scorn stuff does in terms of being instrumental hiphop stuff but its still really interesting and not totally typical drum and bass from the time

Archived