IGNORED

Datach'i - System

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only problem is i think they released all the best tracks beforehand ;O

problem?

i think this album will be a grower though.. it's all pretty dope. 

Some of the tracks remind of Richard D James Album, in a good way. Can't wait for my physical copy to get here, bet it sounds amazing on vinyl.

Definitely, it's like Aphex Twin on the percussion and Boards of Canada on melodies but then it's something completely different. Very varied yet coherent album
To both of you good WATMMers: First listen impression only, but the coherence of the album is in question imo. It becomes more focused as it goes, but many tracks on the front end sort of drifted in and then were done, and I'm not sure they meant much to me. RDJ (often) and BoC is like that on first listens to me, so it may have much to do with that and it'll just take some time before I get those :) ...again, just first impressions.

There's some really good stuff on here, and the 'raw' sounds were often surprising, they seem so stark and naked and dirty on occasion. This was particularly noticeable and moving on the more ambient moments with such odd melodies interacting, quite unexpected sounds... I'm also awaiting my physical copy (CD though, you dirty old schoolers) and very curious to hear the extra CD of tracks :)

really digging this, i started kind of slow with it and the whole closed system thing did make some stuff in the beginning sorta wash over me, but it is revealing itself to me more on these additional listens and it is growing on me a lot. I was cheap and didnt want to pay all the shipping for the physical but I really should have for that bonus stuff.

I love how Datach'i veered away from his angry abrassive sounds to something more dulcet while keeping the tracks sophisticated and absolutely not cheesy, just a delight to listen to

Mmale and Ffemale is my favourite of his and I wish that sound was still what he did, but this new album is peachy as it is. If he did more albums of this type--not forgetting that 19 track bonus disc!--I would be very happy.

Some of the tracks remind of Richard D James Album, in a good way. Can't wait for my physical copy to get here, bet it sounds amazing on vinyl.

Definitely, it's like Aphex Twin on the percussion and Boards of Canada on melodies but then it's something completely different. Very varied yet coherent album

Now that you two mention it, it does sound very indebted to BoC's dreamy chords structures and aphex's rough drum programming. 

first listen last night. very sub-par in my view. lacks its own ideas and identity. sounds far too derivative of what i could happily buy 20 years ago, takes what was once someones current phase & unnecesarily expands it into genre of continued retreading.

... will try bonus disc, sometime.

Just got the CD and bonus disc. I'm not even through with the bonus and I feel comfortable saying it's far better than the actual album. I like the album proper, definitely some amazing tracks on there, but this bonus disc has balls and definitely treads new ground that maybe System itself was afraid to trek down. 

Hey guys, question... I preorded via the pmu site, the vinyl package + wav.

Am I correct in thinking that was supposed to arrive with the bonus disc?

I ordered from Bandcamp but I'm a bit confused by your question. Do you mean should a download card be in with the vinyl? Surely the digitals will be in your PMU account.

I ordered from Bandcamp but I'm a bit confused by your question. Do you mean should a download card be in with the vinyl? Surely the digitals will be in your PMU account.

He means should the bonus disc be in the same parcel, and yes it should. My disc was inside the package when it arrived.

He means should the bonus disc be in the same parcel, and yes it should. My disc was inside the package when it arrived.

Ah right, yes, that makes more sense. Mine also came in one package

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I got no disc and my packing slip says "purchase - System Vinyl 2x12" and doesn't mention the disc at all.

I pre-ordered via the timesig site (wondering if I did something wrong? I'm sure it said if you preorder the vinyl right through timesig you get the bonus disc....?). I emailed pmu so hopefully it works out, I don't wanna miss out on the bonus album!

Edited by StephenG

Listened to the first half of this album yesterday night. 

Personally I was floored, nice change of pace compared to previous Datach'i output. Big lush melodies, cool percussion/glitch work. Totally belongs on timesig right next to Traditional Synth. Music. 

The whole first half seemed very comfortable, nice consistent pace. 

Can't wait to hear the second half ;)

Edit: Was anyone else surprised by the melodies? 

Edited by StephenG

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I got no disc and my packing slip says "purchase - System Vinyl 2x12" and doesn't mention the disc at all.

I pre-ordered via the timesig site (wondering if I did something wrong? I'm sure it said if you preorder the vinyl right through timesig you get the bonus disc....?). I emailed pmu so hopefully it works out, I don't wanna miss out on the bonus album!

WHEW! They're reshipping the bonus disc. I was really worried that I did something wrong when ordering.

So far the album proper is one of the AOTY for me, really good stuff.

enjoying this album esp grabbed with claws, vcl-2rm acid, and luminist modular. anyone else think it sounds like drukqs tracks at times?

Was gonna say this, definitely that feel to it