IGNORED

Reaktor (pricing, version, stability, NI, 2015)

Guest skibby

drm patches lol. what's the point, you can just copy paste it all into a new one right?

no, check out the beatslicer, it actually has locked macros which you cannot see inside of, and its dumb because its not like NI sells reaktor patches that have the same beatslicer inside. Nothing on Reaktor 4 and below was locked as far as i know.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

drm patches lol. what's the point, you can just copy paste it all into a new one right?

no, check out the beatslicer, it actually has locked macros which you cannot see inside of, and its dumb because its not like NI sells reaktor patches that have the same beatslicer inside. Nothing on Reaktor 4 and below was locked as far as i know.

That's really shitty. Seems counterintuitive to what Reaktor is supposed to be.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

£169? Tempting. I missed that last ludicrous sale they had last year by a day and have been kicking myself constantly ever since

a good reason not to buy into reaktor.

oh great. an update that I have to pay if I want to be able to use the new user library stuff. I do not care about blocks.. hope there is something of substance in this update for when I inevitably shell out the cash for it.

seems like NI basically forces its customers to buy Komplete, so if any of the products aren't 100%, you can forgive it since you only paid $20 each product so basically no right to complain.

I've been consciously staying away from Reaktor for years, being afraid of reinventing the wheel again and again designing my own synths/FX instead of writing tunes... but this v6 and its Blocks are sure quite appealing. How tedious is it to use with other DAWs? I basically use Live 9 as a plugin host and recorder, all the MIDI being handled by Numerology.

I love Reaktor, but it’s true that events things are not its strong suit. It’s news to me that there’s an actual bug there, though—far as I know as long as you know the few proper event ordering tricks everything works properly?

I love Reaktor, but it’s true that events things are not its strong suit. It’s news to me that there’s an actual bug there, though—far as I know as long as you know the few proper event ordering tricks everything works properly?

Yes, as well there are third party fixes that have been integrated into the product. I'm not impressed with them and I don't understand why N.I. doesn't take care of it itself, however.

I've been consciously staying away from Reaktor for years, being afraid of reinventing the wheel again and again designing my own synths/FX instead of writing tunes... but this v6 and its Blocks are sure quite appealing. How tedious is it to use with other DAWs? I basically use Live 9 as a plugin host and recorder, all the MIDI being handled by Numerology.

It is very easy to use with other DAWS and integrates nicely compared with stand-alone Max and libPD. It's definitely one of the main strengths of the product. I use it with Renoise and REAPER/Redux with no problems.

It's really fun designing your own synths, interfaces and FX in but the built in instruments and the signal/macro objects do a great job for patching together something modular-like relatively easy and have something workable within an hour.

Don't be afraid of reinventing the wheel. As you start working in these environments you'll start getting ideas you never consciously considered or heard of before. It's like audio Lego.

I don't use Max everyday but I don't want to be without something that lets me make/hear whatever I have the time and inclination to. And every time I use other tools I miss Max.

Yes, as well there are third party fixes that have been integrated into the product. I'm not impressed with them and I don't understand why N.I. doesn't take care of it itself, however.

I guess I’m still not sure if we are talking about the same thing. The thing I’m talking about is basically the event-propagation problem, wherein if there are dependencies in your events (ie. you want to make sure that some other event has “arrived” prior to another event “arriving”), you have to learn essentially one somewhat-unintuitive trick for how events actually work under the hood.

But as I see it that particular issue is not really something that can be “solved” because it gets to a fundamental complexity to how Reaktor works—that wires can carry audio data, event-rate data, *or discrete event “triggers”*, and each of those things is treated differently by the program.

Perhaps this is maybe a little… obsolete now? Now that everyone has computers fast enough where theoretically an entire Reaktor ensemble could run at audio rate, control signals included? But the concept of “triggers” is still a complexity you just need to deal with, heck, even in a real hardware modular you don’t want to connect a trigger voltage to your amp or vice versa.

And I guess the fact that Core (which I don’t really know very well) also folds in another level of complexity doesn’t help. It’d be better if all the “things that use Reaktor wires” worked in the same way, but that’s just not possible to achieve unless they just tear the whole thing down, from what I can tell.

I guess I’m still not sure if we are talking about the same thing. The thing I’m talking about is basically the event-propagation problem, wherein if there are dependencies in your events (ie. you want to make sure that some other event has “arrived” prior to another event “arriving”), you have to learn essentially one somewhat-unintuitive trick for how events actually work under the hood.

But as I see it that particular issue is not really something that can be “solved” because it gets to a fundamental complexity to how Reaktor works—that wires can carry audio data, event-rate data, *or discrete event “triggers”*, and each of those things is treated differently by the program.

Perhaps this is maybe a little… obsolete now? Now that everyone has computers fast enough where theoretically an entire Reaktor ensemble could run at audio rate, control signals included? But the concept of “triggers” is still a complexity you just need to deal with, heck, even in a real hardware modular you don’t want to connect a trigger voltage to your amp or vice versa.

And I guess the fact that Core (which I don’t really know very well) also folds in another level of complexity doesn’t help. It’d be better if all the “things that use Reaktor wires” worked in the same way, but that’s just not possible to achieve unless they just tear the whole thing down, from what I can tell.

I was talking about the global reset events bug. It's not mentioned anywhere in the manual and is a big pain in the ass.

And you are absolutely spot on about all the messages going down the same wire being the problem. It could be solved but it would essentially be a mass rewrite of the software.

I was talking about the global reset events bug. It's not mentioned anywhere in the manual and is a big pain in the ass.

Ah, googled and I understand now! Gee, I honestly wasn’t completely aware of this. I’ve been out of the loop for a while and I think my otherwise excessively defensive event programming tactics have mostly allowed me to avoid this. But, interesting.

Yeah, Reaktor is one of those pieces of software that must be just so huge under the covers that it’s got it’s own “momentum” and inertia in the code base. It must be a total beast, code-wise, and I’m not surprised that in this new-ish “pro-sumer” electronic music production marketplace NI is pretty confused what to do with it.

It must be a total beast, code-wise, and I’m not surprised that in this new-ish “pro-sumer” electronic music production marketplace NI is pretty confused what to do with it.

It is refreshing at least that they're not outright abandoning it like Nord did with their modular line.

nice, i can only imagine the crashes will be ironed out with subsequent versions. reaktor 5 never crashed on me randomly, even if i had done some silly patching it was pretty resilient.

Public beta is a common software release MO. I have no issue with it. The upgrade does not overwrite or uninstall reaktor 5. You can use both in parallel. Thats why there are no real production issue currently. ;)

Let me test them this evening. But they should run, one thing that did not create any problems so far is running older patches, on that area they seam to be stable.

I'm currently working on a buchla inspired complex OSC in core and noticed that this update is a major shift in regards of how good core macros sound. With this update they demoted the primary level to beeing a control structure creation and ensemble wiring workspace.

From now on i'll try to build as much as i can core only! Hell, even the fucking FM calc now sounds right without doing dirty tricks and shit. Just like on my gaaawd damn nord lead. The CPU usage is also veeeeery low.

Archived