IGNORED

Octatrack ~ elektron thread

Guest bitroast

Guest bitroast
Couldn't find old thread. Sorry sorry sorry!

Juss recently got the octatrack. Still in early stages of figuring how to use it properly but already really impressed with how it handles samples/the audio editor/the weird everflowing workflow and nonsensical infrastructure (on one hand the infrastructure seems kind of insane and inpenetrable.. on the other hand it seems good for jamming out ideas and going off on little tangents and keeping all the ideas at arms reach). (maybe maybe maybe).

Anyhow,

question::

i got midi keyboard plugged, set keyboard to specific midi channel, then set octatrack midi auto to same channel. (page 45 in manual).

i then got octatrack hooked into external synth (tx81z), set up matching midi channels (different to midi channel being used for midi in^). sequencing tx81z works fine. pressing keys on midi keyboard will also jump across and control the tx81z fine.

however, i can't figure out how to get the midi keyboard plugged into midi in to control samples. the chromatic machine, for example, i figured would be prime for midi keyboard.

anyone got this working? able to point in right direction (page in manual, even?) :>:>

verse/chorus/verse

As your lawyer i advice you to use the arranger to save and trigger snaps of what you call verse and chorus, how else will you be able to create reproducable tracks.

The arranger is the meta on top of the metas inside this box and the most underrated feature ever. Think of it as a snap and recall feature.

Yes sir!

I love elektron devices, they remind me of computer games with loads of cool cheat modes to activate

haha definitely, I'm still on e1m4 of the monomachine

Guest bitroast
thanks for the answer btw sweepstakes :)

i see exactly what you're referring to in the manual but had trouble last night for some reason setting up the midi keyboard to even connect to octatrack as per what i was doing just the night before. and then i lost interest and just kept playing with the samples and doing other things instead. at this point everything im doing is just trying to feel my way around and have a try at the different things i read in the manual (at work lol) and see how they work.

still wanna really dive in and play around with banks and patterns and parts and figure out the differences.

i think it's.. banks hold patterns. parts hold samples and machines. hmm. scenes are in there too somewhere, and hold parameter locks. but not 100% sure on which ones change what down the line. i'm guessing best way to answer this is to just keep jumping in and take note of whats happening :):)

learning the octatrack is slow but honestly not as terrible as i was expecting. it's incredibly hands on and obvious half the time.

I caught it. I guess lala is too young to remember. I'm on like e1m2

Ahhh. No I just didn't have a pc, my friend did. I was born 1980 with a pong to keep me happy. Early famicom adopter. One of those nuts that bought games in Japanese so we could get them first

thanks for the answer btw sweepstakes :)

i see exactly what you're referring to in the manual but had trouble last night for some reason setting up the midi keyboard to even connect to octatrack as per what i was doing just the night before. and then i lost interest and just kept playing with the samples and doing other things instead. at this point everything im doing is just trying to feel my way around and have a try at the different things i read in the manual (at work lol) and see how they work.

still wanna really dive in and play around with banks and patterns and parts and figure out the differences.

i think it's.. banks hold patterns. parts hold samples and machines. hmm. scenes are in there too somewhere, and hold parameter locks. but not 100% sure on which ones change what down the line. i'm guessing best way to answer this is to just keep jumping in and take note of whats happening :):)

learning the octatrack is slow but honestly not as terrible as i was expecting. it's incredibly hands on and obvious half the time.

Just make shitloads of mistakes till you learn the elektron way

Guest bitroast

hahaha ... maybe.

I can definitely say im pretty rubbish when it comes to midi and setting these things up and have spent more than my fair share of nights trying to set things up only to hit roadblock after roadblock. but you know, thata how it is i guess :)

:catrage:

Octatrack/new gear is easy to not get too frustrated cos theres not one goal atm but a hundred littles goals that i can try instead.

Is like modern game with a billion little sidequest markers all over map, if this analogy can be stretched any further haha.

The best piece of hardware that I own. The difficult learning process is overrated but tends to keep more people from owning them.

Once you get past the initial learning curve it opens itself out to a whole world of possibilities.

• 8 months later...

Just got an octatrack a couple weeks ago and played a show with it already! Took awhile to get it to play nice with my brain but now I love it. I have been super productive and creative lately with this machine. Can't wait to master it and record some compositions soon.

• 8 months later...

Haven't been using mine too much since I gave up halfway through Weeklybeats - I'm kind of fascinated with limited, cheap, and mostly portable gear at the moment. But modey might be inspiring in me the best kind of lust in me - the lust for things I already have!

The OT is a beast but you can also use it to do mundane things like slicing up your Pocket Operator loops and massaging the one-shots a bit with the filters and envelopes, which is exactly what I'd like to do with mine soon.

Yeah, I actually figured that I could use it to mangle nanoloop patterns—and then it made me wonder if one of the cue outputs could be set to put out a sync pulse that would allow nanoloop to sync to it (all it needs is a 16th note pulse).. can the metronome tone be changed?

Yeah, I actually figured that I could use it to mangle nanoloop patterns—and then it made me wonder if one of the cue outputs could be set to put out a sync pulse that would allow nanoloop to sync to it (all it needs is a 16th note pulse).. can the metronome tone be changed?

Was thinking of getting a Nord Drum 2 and hoping for the same thing! I tried to do this with my Micro Modular a while back and it did seem to work at least somewhat, as long as I kept the pulses long enough.

I'm not aware of the ability to change the metronome but if you don't mind burning 12.5% of your precious tracks, you can also just route one to the cue outputs.

Yeah, or I could just build a MIDI cable for nanoloop, which is probably a more solid idea. To be honest though, my nanoloop setup is pretty standalone, and every time I've tried to use it with elektron gear I've run out of steam and/or it hasn't been as easy to control as I expected. 

For the Nord Drum you could also use MIDI, right? Is there any benefit to using trigger inputs?

Archived