IGNORED

New interview with some studio pics etc

pizza

"The Vic chip had three square waves and the semblance of a white noise generator. It was basically a sample of white noise that you could pitch up and down – high pitches were cymbals, mid pitches for snares and low pitches for bass drums. So I’d make sequences by pitching it up and down to make a semblance of a drum pattern, again, all based on my idea of what a drum kit was like. I’ve got those recordings, one day I’ll release them, but I think the majority of the public would think, like, ‘why?’"

i so hope this'll be like an archive dump kinda thing

Guest cult fiction

I had a ZX Spectrum and would write HTML code to play little melodies.

Guest bitroast

oh man. those studio pics. reading now :>

" Really, I’m just a cardboard cut-out image of the artist ... "

yes!!! speaking of this. does anyone have a full size high res pic of tom jenkinson playing the bass? i ask because i would (still) love a cardboard cutout of squarepusher to pop in the studio or something :) http://forum.watmm.com/topic/50856-life-size-squarepusher-cardboard-cutout/

Did a CSI level *enhance*, if it makes anyone happy to have the same gear as the man or whatever gear sleuthing whatevz:

watmm_sp-studio1.jpg

Anyone have any idea what teapot/mug combination he's using? Never seen that piece of gear before.

Yah, I CSI *enhanced* the other studio pics, but it was just patchbays upon pachpaes, and some rackmount aluminum siding with pencil holes stabbed in it to make it look like pahjbaze. Actually, most of it was rackmounted aluminum siding with pencil holes, and from the pencil holes- as far as I could tell- he dangled lengths of knitting yarn. Turns out the dude either lives in a dollhouse, or the crafts storage room in a home improvement center. I didn't want to break the news. Not here... "Naht laig thiz..... Naht laig thiz."

Yah, I CSI *enhanced* the other studio pics, but it was just patchbays upon pachpaes, and some rackmount aluminum siding with pencil holes stabbed in it to make it look like pahjbaze. Actually, most of it was rackmounted aluminum siding with pencil holes, and from the pencil holes- as far as I could tell- he dangled lengths of knitting yarn. Turns out the dude either lives in a dollhouse, or the crafts storage room in a home improvement center. I didn't want to break the news. Not here... "Naht laig thiz..... Naht laig thiz."

Guest bitroast

yeah I think people slept hard on Damogen Furies. it's real good. not crazy about the opener, but the rest is Tom at his best imo.

agreed!

if you ever see people complaining about it sounding like brostep or edm or whatnot that straight off the bat you know they are only referring to public opinion/sample track rayc 2. amazing shiz rlly but what can yu do !!

kinda funny how the interview has boner inducing gear/studio pics, but interview is filled with downtalking gear and to take the learn what you got approach. which makes sense. sounds v similar to the autechre interviews of 'buy whatever cheap, learn it inside + out'.

" To me it’s another hiding to nowhere, thinking ‘if I get the CS80 I can really make beautiful music, but until then I’m not going to do anything’. I’ll just make music with anything, a mentality that was borne out of me having no access to musical instruments yet a burning desire to make music. "

/ cut to pic of cs80 in studio.

still tho. the dood has the skillz and knows how to deliver the goods when it comes to fucking with these pieces of gear, so no disrespecks intendeded! :)

Did a CSI level *enhance*, if it makes anyone happy to have the same gear as the man or whatever gear sleuthing whatevz:

watmm_sp-studio1.jpg

Anyone have any idea what teapot/mug combination he's using? Never seen that piece of gear before.

the mug's in the doorway taking the photo, that's a coffee cup. ;-p

also that studio is lushneSs, really really slushneSs.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived