IGNORED

AFX Sample Clearing

JacquesVonRhein

Dear WATMM-community,

I've created a remix of an old AFX song. I came out under Rephlex in '92 I believe. I might release this at some point in the future however I don't want to be sued by 'The Master'. Who/what should I contact to go about sample clearing an AFX sample ?

Thanks in advance !

You can always PM him on his soundcloud or contact Warp Records and they'll send you on your way. My guess is what fenton said, except if you are Kanye West or SNL.

Dear Herr Jan,

Do you think Warp Records is concerned with old Rephlex releases ? I find it unlikely but I guess I'll give it a shot.

And has any of you ever received any reply from his soundcloud ? I don't think he can be bothered with these kinds of questions but yeah I guess its worth the attempt.

Furthermore I think it's a good idea to clear your samples, especially if you're starting up a commercial music project like I am at the moment. People are way too nonchalant about this.

Thanks for your help.

You can always PM him on his soundcloud or contact Warp Records and they'll send you on your way. My guess is what fenton said, except if you are Kanye West or SNL.

Dear Herr Jan,

Do you think Warp Records is concerned with old Rephlex releases ? I find it unlikely but I guess I'll give it a shot.

And has any of you ever received any reply from his soundcloud ? I don't think he can be bothered with these kinds of questions but yeah I guess its worth the attempt.

Furthermore I think it's a good idea to clear your samples, especially if you're starting up a commercial music project like I am at the moment. People are way too nonchalant about this.

Thanks for your help.

Ah, missed the part about it being a Rephlex release. Considering Rephlex is no longer trading and all rights are given back to the artists, you have to contact Chrysalis (his publisher which legally owns everything he does). You could always give it a shot on his soundcloud too, he replies regularly.

I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff myself, but my guess is that if it's a small project (like, pressing up under 300 copies) it won't be a problem. My other guess is that it will cost you a lot if you do it the legal way. Like I said, SNL and Kanye West got into trouble for using Avril 14th without permission (ish), but that's on a different scale of course.

I'm not nonchalant, bruv, but you're potentially big headed to think that AFX cares about your sampling him when he happily sampled a bunch of stuff himself, when he was starting up.

You can print this reply off and use it in court and I, or my representatives, will pay for all the licencing fees.

only kidding.

I'm not nonchalant, bruv, but you're potentially big headed to think that AFX cares about your sampling him when he happily sampled a bunch of stuff himself, when he was starting up.

You can print this reply off and use it in court and I, or my representatives, will pay for all the licencing fees.

only kidding.

It's just a compliance issue, that's all. I don't want to break the law on one of my first projects. If I can't clear this sample I'll just keep the song off the records, literally.

Dear Herr Jan,

Thanks for your help.

Ah, missed the part about it being a Rephlex release. Considering Rephlex is no longer trading and all rights are given back to the artists, you have to contact Chrysalis (his publisher which legally owns everything he does). You could always give it a shot on his soundcloud too, he replies regularly.

I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff myself, but my guess is that if it's a small project (like, pressing up under 300 copies) it won't be a problem. My other guess is that it will cost you a lot if you do it the legal way. Like I said, SNL and Kanye West got into trouble for using Avril 14th without permission (ish), but that's on a different scale of course.

Dear Herr Jan,

Thanks for your reply. If it costs too much I'll just keep the song to myself.

By the way I think it's cool AFX is crawling out of his cave a little and actually speaking with fans ! The man seems has to grown a bit nicer over the years :) I think I'll contact chrysalis like you said, and keep the soundcloud for a succinct fan message.

just put it online for free? it shouldn't matter as long as you aren't trying to sell it, plus it would be a weird thing to do for the debut release of any electronic musician to have an aphex twin remix on it, i wouldn't do it just because to be honest it won't look good. on the other hand there have been electronic musicians who actually put Justin Timberlake remixes/mashups on their actual records with full confidence as if its not a horrible thing to do.

Jacques, dawg, quit beatin yourself about this. Sample it, no-one cares.

But after all the dithering you've been doing and all the hullabaloo you'd look like a fool if you didn't let us hear the tracque, Jacques. You've hyped this, now lets hear it

(reckon it'll be a good track)

But after all the dithering you've been doing and all the hullabaloo you'd look like a fool if you didn't let us hear the tracque, Jacques. You've hyped this, now lets hear it

Messsage made me LoL, thanks for that. Yeah this was all an elaborate marketing strategy ! But in all seriousness, it'll come out when it's ready !

Uhm I noticed some wishful thinking there in my original message, a 'Freudian slip' of a typo: I wrote 'I came out under Rephlex in '92', oh man...what a reveal ! Too bad the glory days of Rephlex seem to have passed :(

• 4 weeks later...

Archived