IGNORED

Roland Boutique?! [new synths]

Psychotronic

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They dont look that green so far. :cerious:

If that's in reply to me I think these look pretty nice from that tiny preview, but when the lights go on I don't want to be looking at micro JDs with purple LEDs all over the place or something.

If that's in reply to me I think these look pretty nice from that tiny preview, but when the lights go on I don't want to be looking at micro JDs with purple LEDs all over the place or something.

I agree on purple aversion. :catrecline:

Boutique suggests non-mass produced. If these are handmade analog polys they'll cost a fortune.

Could be, not sure. I currently assume they are based on that kind technology: https://www.rolandmusik.de/products/system-1/ but i really dont have any specific info regarding price and tech.

Yeah. Maybe these are the new system-1 plug out VSTs and they're doing a limited run of custom system-1 synths to go with them?

Lets speculate/dream: mono analogues with 1 voice of each synth (I mean, a J8 voice if buying the J8 replica etc...) and all the connectivity to daisy-chain units. And the more units you buy at once, the less it costs :emotawesomepm9:

Fucking hell Roland...

ENOUGH WITH THE CHEAP DIGITAL/VST GEAR AND MINI KEYS.

I am preparing to not be impressed in the least. What made all those previous keyboards/synths they're touting amazing is that they were real, expensive, and packed full of innovation and had a full goddamn keyboard!!!.

Comparing these things to those tiny little boxes is just as laughable as Yamaha being like "Ohhhh yeaaaahhh, look at that CS-80, yeah, fuckin' reface bitch. Take it in the mouth, listen to all these nobodies say stuff about the CS-80 and how much Yamaha is good... here it comes... yeh... get ready..." THEEENNNn

D7B9A5841BDE476884769917B7DDE310_12073.j

90ap8h.png

I prefer mini keys for synth playing. Full size keys only benefit me if they're fully weighted, ie. for playing piano. Then again, I'm all about compact live setups, so you don't have to listen to me.

I hope we see some cool innovative digital synths soon, instead of VA versions of old analogs. I'd love to see where additive or wavetable synthesis could be taken in a 2016 hardware unit. But it'll never happen because everyone just wants 'analog warmth' (ie. tuning problems).

I hope we see some cool innovative digital synths soon, instead of VA versions of old analogs. I'd love to see where additive or wavetable synthesis could be taken in a 2016 hardware unit. But it'll never happen because everyone just wants 'analog warmth' (ie. tuning problems).

Seconded hard.

It seems like there's been a real renaissance of coll, innovative, digital stuff in the DIY and Euro worlds over the last 2-3 years, so the big manufacturers should be jumping on board in another year or two.

Honestly, what I'd love to see is bigger companies focusing more on making quality, innovative controllers at reasonable prices, because I think that's where the economies of mass production can really make a difference. I don't think it's possible anymore for a really large company to keep up with what's happening in the DIY, open source and modular worlds but what they CAN do is economically mass produce devices that need a lot of custom fabrication (keyboards are the obvious example, but anything that needs a lot of milling just isn't going to be something a small operation is going to be able to do in quantity.

I prefer mini keys for synth playing. Full size keys only benefit me if they're fully weighted, ie. for playing piano. Then again, I'm all about compact live setups, so you don't have to listen to me.

Seriously? Mini keys are super tough to play with clumsy big fingers. You are the enemy.

Seriously? Mini keys are super tough to play with clumsy big fingers. You are the enemy.

hahaha, post of the week.

Sorry I don't have sausage fingers :P

Do you struggle with a computer keyboard? Mini keyboard keys are about the same width..

I guess my preference is because most of the keyboards I've owned/played for a decent amount of time have had mini keys.

I don't often have to do runs of letters that are using 4 fingers at the same time with one two coming in and out with a flam when I type. Funky chord playing is pretty impossible on a tiny keyboard to me.

Funky chord playing is pretty impossible on a tiny keyboard to me.

Fair call. I should say that if it's a piano sound I'm using, I can't really get anything good from mini keys.. but then again most controllers aren't fully weighted either, so the only option for piano is either a real piano or a digital one.

Monophonic synth solos are the only things I tend to play live on a keyboard (apart from the occasional chords for arpeggiator etc), so maybe that's the difference. I didn't really think anyone here did anything super complex live on synth keyboards..

I don't have a horse in the mini keyboard race - I like having one bigass 61-key (my Mirage right now, my SQ80 before) but I would like a little 25 key mini keyboard I can tuck into a tight space, have been eyeing that Keith McMillen one or even a nanoKey.

But thirded on the whole digital synths thing. Enough fucking VA and even real analog, this is the future, let's have some innovation.

Also if the big manufacturers' strength is being able to manufacture at scale, it would be cool if they could figure out a way to work with or offer services to independent manufacturers. I'm sure part of the deal of staying profitable is to do the market research to release middle of the road stuff, but I could see this arrangement being beneficial for both sides with a little compromise. Sort of like a record label for hardware.

And yeah controllers is a great example of where that scale seems to really make a difference in the price/quality sweet spot.

But thirded on the whole digital synths thing. Enough fucking VA and even real analog, this is the future, let's have some innovation.

I do think that analog is pretty lush to add with digital. I really like the Rytm and the concept of having a lot of analog with digital freedom.

I would love to see more daring synth designs that don't consist of pure analog too, even tho I am a bit of a fetishist - but first I'd like to see bigger companies stop producing shit, it's making innovation a commodity that isn't popular and very expensive. These companies have the ability to change the direction of music being made with their instruments, but they dumb it down so so so hard. I think that's what I was getting at. They all seem to be afraid to take a risk.

And for the record, if they made a pretty much spec for spec of the Jupiter 4, 6, or 8, w/modern midi or an SH-101 remake to spec, they'd be flush with money and could have a marketing edge when bringing out new products.

FUTURE TIME

"You've tried the roland re-issue vintage line, and we didn't completely boff it - NOW TRY THIS CRAZY AS FUCK FORMANT ADDITIVE SYNTH WITH CRAZY DESIGN STUFF in the Roland Futur3 line'

(akai releases 'timbrehog', a single uncalibrated oscillator with one wave shape - brown noise! all packaged up with a notch filter that only scales between 3000hz-30000hz, digital envelope that includes Attack and Release and no others, 9 step - step sequencer and the almighty SQUEAL knob in 10 places, including right by the power switch)

(akai releases 'timbrehog', a single uncalibrated oscillator with one wave shape - brown noise! all packaged up with a notch filter that only scales between 3000hz-30000hz, digital envelope that includes Attack and Release and no others, 9 step - step sequencer and the almighty SQUEAL knob in 10 places, including right by the power switch)

fuckinglol

Archived