IGNORED

Roland Boutique?! [new synths]

Psychotronic

(akai releases 'timbrehog', a single uncalibrated oscillator with one wave shape - brown noise! all packaged up with a notch filter that only scales between 3000hz-30000hz, digital envelope that includes Attack and Release and no others, 9 step - step sequencer and the almighty SQUEAL knob in 10 places, including right by the power switch)

fuckinglol

lol

lol

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cult fiction

Optional keyboard is a great idea. Never could understand why somebody would want a keyboard on a synth, others find it unthinkable to buy w/o one, now both parties can be happy.

That fake analog though...

Guest cult fiction

"Never could understand why somebody would want a keyboard on a synth""

really?? or do you just mean you can't understand why many people only want a keyboard?

You can buy a midi controller that you really like, that is as big or small as you like, weighted the way you like, and use it with any synth

The keyboards on most synths are often an afterthought, and if they're not, well it's an expensive well made keyboard that you can can use on exactly one synth - the one it's attached to, that adds considerably to the size and cost and cuts down on room that could be used for programming controls(which for many analog synths w/ limited cv and routing capability are your only way to control all the parameters!)

The only semi understandable reason I've heard for wanting a keyboard built into a synth is for jamability and live setups, neither of which seem like compelling reasons when it's tough to jam w/ a small and/or poorly constructed keyboard like most synths have and the built-in keyboard takes up a lot more room than a midi controller + synth setup in just about every situation

Probably ruining the thread now with this

ANyway my real point is that now both parties can be happy

Hmmm.. just as I thought, VST in a box. The Jupiter 8 is too damn pricey, since you'd need two of them to emulate all the 8 voices? Roland pls.

These may sound amazing though, and they are pretty neat.

You can buy a midi controller that you really like, that is as big or small as you like, weighted the way you like, and use it with any synth

The keyboards on most synths are often an afterthought, and if they're not, well it's an expensive well made keyboard that you can can use on exactly one synth - the one it's attached to, that adds considerably to the size and cost and cuts down on room that could be used for programming controls(which for many analog synths w/ limited cv and routing capability are your only way to control all the parameters!)

The only semi understandable reason I've heard for wanting a keyboard built into a synth is for jamability and live setups, neither of which seem like compelling reasons when it's tough to jam w/ a small and/or poorly constructed keyboard like most synths have and the built-in keyboard takes up a lot more room than a midi controller + synth setup in just about every situation

Probably ruining the thread now with this

ANyway my real point is that now both parties can be happy

Let me make another point. Keyboards are outdated imho, but musicians just got used to them. See the haken fingerboard or the roli seaboard or the controllers buchla delivers for their modular systems. These are much much better input devices for synthesizers imho.

Not really.

I've become frustrated with the current market of 'midi' controllers. The vast majority of them are USB-MIDI only. It seems to be unbalanced considering there are quite a few synths on the market that support DIN-MIDI only. I have a small 90s Yamaha MIDI keyboard controller (yes, with mini keys) but why are manufacturers concentrating on USB only devices?! I want something like the qunexus with native DIN-MIDI support!

Guest bitroast

Not really.

I've become frustrated with the current market of 'midi' controllers. The vast majority of them are USB-MIDI only. It seems to be unbalanced considering there are quite a few synths on the market that support DIN-MIDI only. I have a small 90s Yamaha MIDI keyboard controller (yes, with mini keys) but why are manufacturers concentrating on USB only devices?! I want something like the qunexus with native DIN-MIDI support!

the laptop quick-buck generation : |

I prefer mini keys for synth playing. Full size keys only benefit me if they're fully weighted, ie. for playing piano. Then again, I'm all about compact live setups, so you don't have to listen to me.

Seriously? Mini keys are super tough to play with clumsy big fingers. You are the enemy.
Sorry I don't have sausage fingers :P

MODEY IRL:

watmm_modey-hand.jpg

p.s. Roland's got game.

lol peace7

yeah i would say most people i know that own midi keyboards would only use it as a usb. you can easily patch it through with a DAW i guess.

Yeah, but I wouldn't want to take a laptop to a gig just so my usb midi controller can connect to my din midi synth. I know there are usb to din converters out there but they're like, a million dollars..

I think people have been doing this successfully using usb to midi interfaces for the iPad? I'm unable to verify this though, may be a tall tale from yonder.

I think people have been doing this successfully using usb to midi interfaces for the iPad? I'm unable to verify this though, may be a tall tale from yonder.

Yeah, possibly. But again, I have no use for an ipad in a live setup other than that so it'd be a waste of my money.

Guest cult fiction

Yeah, possibly. But again, I have no use for an ipad in a live setup other than that so it'd be a waste of my money.

Do all of those USB -> midi dongle sneed a computer to do their job? If so then damn, that seems like an easy market hole to fix

In my theoretical world where the norm is for synths to come rackmount style, I'd guess midi keyboards would be more plentiful, cheaper, etc.

But this world is one for built-in keyboards what can you do sigh

In this case, marketing cheap VA units as exclusive high end gear.

it's not VA

its...

ROLAND ACB™️

:catrecline:

Archived