IGNORED

Roland Boutique?! [new synths]

Psychotronic

Is it just me though or does Roland seem to have the most hyperbolic engineer quotes in their promo vids? Even Tats had that Japanese modesty which seems to be completely missing.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me though or does Roland seem to have the most hyperbolic engineer quotes in their promo vids? Even Tats had that Japanese modesty which seems to be completely missing.

Omg the hairstyles... obvs all their budget went to gel

So many hedgehogs gave their lives to make that haircut.

"This is everything analog was meant to be; this is the all in one analog dream machine."

3 Oscillators + built in FX for $500? Color me skeptical. They had to have cut costs massively on something; I'm betting on the filter

All SMD construction, inexpensive pots and switches, and economies of scale could definitely do it.

yeah, i mean, look at minilogue. better build quality and a very nice analog delay. also five hundo. the scale sure is tempting tho!

"This is everything analog was meant to be; this is the all in one analog dream machine."

3 Oscillators + built in FX for $500? Color me skeptical. They had to have cut costs massively on something; I'm betting on the filter

All SMD construction, inexpensive pots and switches, and economies of scale could definitely do it.

yeah, i mean, look at minilogue. better build quality and a very nice analog delay. also five hundo. the scale sure is tempting tho!

Good point. That means the SE-02 should be more like $400...extra cash must be going to the Studio Electronics guys? Fair enough if so. I won't be buying one I'm sure, because I've got two analog monos already, but still. Should be an interesting little guy.

So many hedgehogs gave their lives to make that haircut.

lol

THE ULTIMATE ROLAND PROMO

Cut, alternating between testimonials of 3 middle-aged engineers. Each cut makes a more audacious claim about AKB synthesis technology than the last. Interspersed between is footage of dramatically lit synths in ice caves, deserts, jungles, in the deep sea, and at the CIA headquarters. The testimonials only cease once the engineers have gone mad, drunk on the power of AKB synthesis and regress into a collective fits of carnal laughter and grunting. The final scene is a shot of a 3-storey shrine to the AKB engine, whose first floor is a comprehensive component diagram of the entire system in all green lighting, and whose roof contains an enormous D-Beam which emits a deafening shriek whenever a large enough bird sails overhead.

THE ULTIMATE ROLAND PROMO

Cut, alternating between testimonials of 3 middle-aged engineers. Each cut makes a more audacious claim about AKB synthesis technology than the last. Interspersed between is footage of dramatically lit synths in ice caves, deserts, jungles, in the deep sea, and at the CIA headquarters. The testimonials only cease once the engineers have gone mad, drunk on the power of AKB synthesis and regress into a collective fits of carnal laughter and grunting. The final scene is a shot of a 3-storey shrine to the AKB engine, whose first floor is a comprehensive component diagram of the entire system in all green lighting, and whose roof contains an enormous D-Beam which emits a deafening shriek whenever a large enough bird sails overhead.

Late 90s Roland promos are all magical but some are more magical than others.

The MC303 is still my favorite and the VP-9000 is close behind but this is right up there. Also it benefits from being a lot more short and concise than those other two.  On the other hand, the VP-9000 benefits from spending half the time on a guy spinning around on some kind of ridiculous tubular steel DJ booth contraption.

Anyhow this thing probably sounds decent.

EDIT: I mean the new Roland analog thing.  Probably sounds fine.

• 1 month later...

This is really making me want to get more 90s digital sounding digital synths, to be honest.  Not that I will (unless I get a chance at a good deal on a K2500 or K2600!) but it makes me want them.

nice, if they can make it polyphonic with unison and arp / misc modes it would be quite fun. 

the boutique line is pretty snazzy, the juno one in particular sounds really lovely. 

Yeah, I've got nothing against the actual synths other than the pricing structure, Roland's marketing and the surrounding drama will never stop being funny for me.

Guest Chesney

bloody pointless because it's an overated synth and the people that buy into that whole 'have to have the Roland classics' to tick some sort of kudos box they will still want the original because the copies are not as cool and there will always be people that make comparisons and nitpick.

how much do they charge for the "plugouts"

As far as I know the SH-101 plugin is free if you have the System-1 synth.

bloody pointless because it's an overated synth and the people that buy into that whole 'have to have the Roland classics' to tick some sort of kudos box they will still want the original because the copies are not as cool and there will always be people that make comparisons and nitpick.

Unless you're happy with the boutique version or the plugin.

I've made some 99% accurate 101 patches on ableton analog. You can't make it behave like the synth itself, but you can almost perfectly recreate individual patches. I did an A-B test with the Roland 101 plugin and it's identical.

I've played a real 101 a bit back when they were affordable and I shared a practice space with someone who had a couple, and I really don't feel any major desire for one.  It's a good sounding, fun synth but the Mutable Anushri I built back in 2013covers pretty much all the same ground and then some.

Archived