IGNORED

accidentally discovered some kind of recursive unlimited sidechain distortion

Ragnar

nice, you always have some pretty intense mathematical stuff going on.

just out of interest, what do you mean by sidechain in this context, and how is in infinite? genuinely curious!

it uses atan2() which takes two arguments, so two audio channels. It then nests those inside another atan2(), and so on and so on and it seems like you could repeat the nesting process forever without much issue

for some reason it hates EQ on the sidechain though, even though waveshaping like the kind you draw is pretty stable

This is capable of some super harsh distortion! I selected the "cosech" option and Reaper was auto-muting it whenever it was audible because it was so loud.

The "sqr" option is sounding really cool on this cheesy RY-30 kick drum, adds a nice punch.

Haven't tried digging into the code yet but you're saying it's nesting the trig functions? I don't know if I messed up the parameters (I haven't used Reaper in so long I've completely forgotten my way around) but I'm only seeing "wet mix" parameters for each function. Is that controlling the amount of feedback or something as well?

Thanks for sharing, this could be interesting.

This is capable of some super harsh distortion! I selected the "cosech" option and Reaper was auto-muting it whenever it was audible because it was so loud.

The "sqr" option is sounding really cool on this cheesy RY-30 kick drum, adds a nice punch.

Haven't tried digging into the code yet but you're saying it's nesting the trig functions? I don't know if I messed up the parameters (I haven't used Reaper in so long I've completely forgotten my way around) but I'm only seeing "wet mix" parameters for each function. Is that controlling the amount of feedback or something as well?

Thanks for sharing, this could be interesting.

that's actually the wrong script, re-download bro

also tanh8() is way cooler if your cpu can handle it. It's like tanh/saturation but with more wiggle room/dynamics

shit, the formula is wrong on that script. I'm simplifying it to tanh2() anyway so you can tweak it with an xy grid/mequalizer via parameter automation or something. You can also choose a volume level and it will print the headroom at that level

script was extremely broken, this now works the way I intended. It's now just 2 arguments, and you can twiddle the two parameters with an XY interface to gain headroom. The apparent loudness should never change, like a compressor with auto makeup gain

http://stash.reaper.fm/v/25264/tanh12.txt

https://www.sendspace.com/file/g4bwwl

I made a FuncShaper preset that does virtually the same thing. Variables a and b drive it, c changes exponent/root, and d is another exponent to shape it more/less. Included is atanh2 diff.xml which does the same thing but returns the amount of expansion which you can route to a sidechain/use with parameter modulation and it works like an instant expander. You can oversample it too

• 2 weeks later...

Archived