IGNORED

Where can I listen to Zoviet France?

misc

I dunno if i'm just being thick but i can't seem to find any way to listen to these guys. There's a few full albums on youtube, one on spotify, that same one on itunes, a few cd's on amazon for ~£40, nothing to download on amazon, and that's about all i've come up with.

Been wanting to get into them since someone posted a track from shouting at the ground in a thread here a while back, but i can't actually find much more. Any ideas?

I think you should be able to find at least some of their albums for a reasonable price on Discogs.

yeah this is one of those artists who just have a lot of out of print stuff

maybe looking on slsk?

fluorescent grey (john Ehrlichman) is a big fan, probably the guy who posted that vid - i'd pm him

Cheers for the suggestions. Had a look on discogs and there are a fair few there but digital is really preferred atm.

I've never used slsk, will check it out

unfortunately i don't think the ZF boys are going to negotiate on the publishing rights any time soon. they've been 'broken up' more or less ever since Robin Storey left and there still seems to be bad blood between the them all, not really sure why. slsk is probably the way to go for now for anything Shadow Thief of the Sun and before, but now that I think about it I don't think any of the later zf stuff is available digitally either. Definitely check out the podcast they do called 'A Duck in a Tree', they play a lot of their own stuff on there most of it unreleased.

unfortunately i don't think the ZF boys are going to negotiate on the publishing rights any time soon. they've been 'broken up' more or less ever since Robin Storey left and there still seems to be bad blood between the them all, not really sure why. slsk is probably the way to go for now for anything Shadow Thief of the Sun and before, but now that I think about it I don't think any of the later zf stuff is available digitally either. Definitely check out the podcast they do called 'A Duck in a Tree', they play a lot of their own stuff on there most of it unreleased.

Ah well, slsk it is then, cheers again

It's upsetting to hear about the conflict between the band members like that. For a while I've kinda thought that reissues are just a matter of time, and that noticing the prices their records sell for might convince them to try and make a bit more money. Yaknow there's some great music as well by Dead Voices on Air, Reformed Faction, Rapoon, etc. and that stuff is much easier to find than zf. And a few other related projects too that I haven't yet looked into.

That Duck in a Tree podcast is awesome. There is always at least one track per episode that slams me into still brand new territory.

• 3 months later...

yo quick question

So i finally got around to downloading soulseek to grab some zf stuff but it's kinda baffling me. How can I tell if a file is safe? Like when torrenting you can check the comments to make sure it's legit but with this i can't really see any way to confirm that, and that makes me a little weary. Am i missing something or what?

What do you mean by safe - are you concerned about a virus or summat? As long as you're not downloading and running .exe's (pretty sure slsk blocks the extension anyway) you should be fine.

If you're concerned that the audio files aren't borked, foobar has a file integrity verifier component. A while ago I would use a program called encspot to check mp3s of scoobiedubious origin although I'm pretty sure it's no longer developed.

What do you mean by safe - are you concerned about a virus or summat? As long as you're not downloading and running .exe's (pretty sure slsk blocks the extension anyway) you should be fine.

If you're concerned that the audio files aren't borked, foobar has a file integrity verifier component. A while ago I would use a program called encspot to check mp3s of scoobiedubious origin although I'm pretty sure it's no longer developed.

Yeah mainly just concerned about virus' and all that, but to be honest i know very little about it all. Just feels a little weird downloading stuff from some random person without having any confirmation that it's not gonna fuck my compy up.

I'm pretty sure it's impossibru to transmit viruses through media files (mp3 files, video files, images, etc.) since they're data and not code. The closest thing to it might've been the AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs worm, but even then you had to be naive enough to run the script. If OTOH you downloaded the file and tried to open it in an image viewer you'd see either garbage or an error message, and you wouldn't contract anything.

I'm pretty sure it's impossibru to transmit viruses through media files (mp3 files, video files, images, etc.) since they're data and not code. The closest thing to it might've been the AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs worm, but even then you had to be naive enough to run the script. If OTOH you downloaded the file and tried to open it in an image viewer you'd see either garbage or an error message, and you wouldn't contract anything.

Ok cool, good to know. Cheers for the information!

download all of these

Listened to a couple of sets and I like what I'm hearing so far. Around 180 sets left lol

I tried to download all the Duck in a Tree sets on slsk, but I only have 20 gb space left so my HD got clogged up :(

I have a habit of looking at a users directory before downloading. If everything is neatly organized (by artist, album, or sometimes even by label/catalog no.!) then it gives me the illusion that the files are originally ripped or dled by the label, or at least obtained from some other trusted secondary sources. I know this is probably bullshit, but it definitely feels safer than dling from someone with an inconsistent and messy directory.

Archived