IGNORED

Live in one take...

rev85

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by doing tracks live in one take, particularly Damogen Furies, which sounds like the notes have been programmed in advance, then perhaps tweaked live afterwards? Can anyone shed any light on this? How can these tracks be a purely 'live' take?

quote from consequence of sound interview: “All of the recordings here were made in one take, with no edits. It is a record that has the brutal energy and vivaciousness of a debut.”

He built that awesome Reaktor patch and the tracks suddenly popped out of the speakers. Then he shook his head very hard in front of the computer screen to give the album the brutal energy and vivaciousness of a debut :squarepusher: :squarepusher: :squarepusher:

Thanks for clarifying. So I guess the intricate passages are pre-sequenced, then altered somehow on the fly in Reaktor. Similar to using a Glitch vst over a track then, basically?

Thanks for clarifying. So I guess the intricate passages are pre-sequenced, then altered somehow on the fly in Reaktor. Similar to using a Glitch vst over a track then, basically?

I hope there's more live action to it than that (otherwise it would be quite a shameless thing to claim) but basically it could mean a lot of things. Live action could be playing some parts straight live, recording/looping some stuff on the fly, manipulating the sound of synths playing an already programmed part, muting/un-muting tracks and switch sequences to make the song structure evolve, etc...

I hope there's more live action to it than that (otherwise it would be quite a shameless thing to claim) but basically it could mean a lot of things. Live action could be playing some parts straight live, recording/looping some stuff on the fly, manipulating the sound of synths playing an already programmed part, muting/un-muting tracks and switch sequences to make the song structure evolve, etc...

Yeah, it's quite an ambiguous term when it comes to electronic music. Sounds more fun than automating everything by hand / micro-edits, though both have their merits.

the tracks are composed 'live in one take' as opposed to assembling them piece by piece, sound by sound and editing them together like a puzzle to arrive at a finished piece.

the tracks are preplanned and thought up. he builts the instruments and their oscillators ect. and arranges them together and how they should interact. then when he hits the play button the sequencer plays back what he told everything to do. like a virtual studio, only it's in his computer and super portable and he built the instruments and decided what kind of sounds they should produce. does that make sense?

I would check out the interviews posted in this thread. He sheds some light on his process.

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/87328-squarepusher-interviews-about-damogen-furies/

I would think something like that. he says he uses his yamaha qy700 for sequencing, so I would imagine he does do some tweaks to eqs and messes about with effects and what not. from what he said, really the live performances for the stuff on Damogen Furies, it is pretty much how he does it in the studio. but to keep it interesting from show to show, he will alter the pieces so each show will be different in some way. I find it fascinating myself.

I would imagine he does do some tweaks to eqs and messes about with effects and what not. from what he said, really the live performances for the stuff on Damogen Furies, it is pretty much how he does it in the studio. but to keep it interesting from show to show, he will alter the pieces so each show will be different in some way. I find it fascinating myself.

There's no doubt it sounds great, but is that really a live take with no edits? Surely the composition, editing and intricacy involved is pre-programmed, which I wouldn't necessarily class as a live take with no edits.

I guess it boils down to the fact that if a human doesn't play the instruments and isn't interacting with other players, does that still constitute as a live performance? For example, is the conductor of an orchestra doing a live take of his music?

He could also be jamming upon his loops, transforming them into tunes with proper narratives, on the fly. As if he had a 100% hardware set-up, patched as needed, with all his melodic parts and beats written and ready to be arranged, tweaked, altered, triggered on and off... and recorded to tape. It just all happens in his computer, in Reaktor. I suppose he might use MIDI controllers and keyboard shortcuts to control it all.

As if he was using Live's session view and recording to disk the output...

Archived