IGNORED

Post-show drunken rant

phudoshin

From after the Philly show as posted by gl0tch:

here

I think its worth its own thread for various reasons:

- snapshot in time of genuine fans (they'd been to multiple Ae gigs)

- interesting (drunken) points made

- its fucking funny

So whatcha think?

- I love it that fan # 3 gets about 2 words in!

- The Fandango comments are gas craic - how hes like the Oregan school shooter...he "sees through" the music (..maybe dunno)

- The recorder seems to get it more than the ranter but i still appreciate the ranters stance. The fact is these shows don't have the same melodic or rhythmic hooks as previous shows. He just forgot to give his brain over to that, the way Ae intended imo

- I like the recorders live boxset idea - it could happen

- "Oversteps!"

.....Have at it guys....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It struck me as an 'how dare they not meet my expectations as a fan' butthurt kinda rant.

I agree with you there.

I'd love to hear a post-show rant from someone who really got it as a counterpoint

basically the synopsis is 'the music is challenging' , for being noisy/experimental or as this guy calls it 'textural masturbation' it 'doesn't have the beauty of fennesz, or hecker' ok cool. I mean it seems like he's one of those hipstery types of experimental music fans who can only appreciate really challenging sounds from a clinical perspective, like he appreciates what the show was in theory he just didn't enjoy it (not even talking about the really drunk sounding guy). I say hipstery because he just named off a bunch of bands that Pitchfork approves of that are 'experimental', they make very by my estimates pleasant approachable sounding music, its not really experimental in a literal sense for the most part, but what autechre are doing (even though it's dancey) is experimental to a larger degree. Its sort of like we're listening to two people who only Like 20 Jazz Funk Greats by Throbbing Gristle and think Second Annual report is a piece of garbage. don't trust em.

edit: to their credit they endorse AE releasing their Live sets for people to buy, which i of course support 100%.

edit2: really wished we got to hear more of the drunk guy, instead i just feel like i'm listening to Anthony Fantano about to go on a shooting spree. [drunk guy was a bit annoying at first, but by the end of this you'll wish his friend would shut the fuck up and just let him roll]

is this gl0tch? i hope i didn't just insult the shit out of him in this thread by accident, if its you dude im sorry, i take it back. ive had a rough day (but you still sound way more douchey than you should for the autechre diehard i know you are)

'doesn't have the beauty of fennesz, or hecker'

lol, didn't make it that far.

Those two are the worst offenders for taking well worn and cliched 'epic' postrock type chord progressions and then dressing them up in fancy reverb and glitch effects (what you said basically)

Complete opposite to what ae are doing.

The angry guy sounds like he was probably that kid at school who hung out with kids two years younger because he could convince them he was cool by swearing and having facial hair

coulda saved yourself the hassle and listened to a couple of 2014/2015 live sets before booking tix :catrecline:

Ya see, i can totally see how it can take a few listens to get the hooks on this tour. If thats what you're after, which seems the case here for the main drunk guy anyway (Joe?) . so yeh, lsiten to the sets a lot then go to a show.

Its a simple fact that these shows as well as the 2010 era ones are far less "hooky" than the 2008 sets.

However, when I saw this current iteration back in Dublin in December, i enjoyed it not for the few hooks, although they are amazing... but for the wall of complex organic non-hooky morphing of abstractness and just getting lost i that. The 2010 sets are like that but this new tour is another level entirely - they're pushing things and thats what i enjoy.

The recorder(gl0tch?) seems to get this a little more....

...either way , i get them both and have no problems except to say that Ae's whole live thing is to "enjoy the moment without expectations" as far as i can tell.

But yes, i think i would have enjoyed the Dublin show more if i knew then what i know now about the sets.....

(I actually find their albums the same..... the more you listen the more you hear)

If this guy was at the Boston show, I would have popped his eardrums with a good old fashioned "SEAN PLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That would teach him.

Damn, gl0tch the soundboard ninja, what have ye done. He must be the Fennesz-Hecker guy, haven't heard this specific part though.

I listened to random fragments, their classically-minded no contrast/conflict critique is valid in a boring way. The very beginning of the set is revealing - no build-up, no nothing, pure slime on the go. In that sense, it's complimentary to hear such antagonism from rather competent listeners towards it, while we're all soapy now, but this means the shapes are radical, at least in some way.

Those two are the worst offenders for taking well worn and cliched 'epic' postrock type chord progressions and then dressing them up in fancy reverb and glitch effects (what you said basically)

i like their stuff but i get annoyed that people seem to get stuck on these two guys (as well as stars of the lid)

there's so much more drone and ambient out there

haha, so what's look like they had fun

my mom doesn't like autechre either unless she popped a holly

The angry guy sounds like he was probably that kid at school who hung out with kids two years younger because he could convince them he was cool by swearing and having facial hair

that's totally me heh :catcry:

haha, so what's look like they had fun

my mom doesn't like autechre either unless she popped a holly

that's totally me heh :catcry:

poor mini-ooze

i like their stuff but i get annoyed that people seem to get stuck on these two guys (as well as stars of the lid)

there's so much more drone and ambient out there

Almost nobody treat it in the same non-ambient manner, they apply a grandeur view inherent to romantic composers, while others (including Stars of the Lid) mostly do tranquilizing ambiance, characteristic to the current phenomology of music as strictly sound.

i actually saw auphexre at a gig in hawaii last month (private, sean's bffs only. thx mate) and it sucked so bad. it was just like sounds played super fast so they sounded like weird textures. thanks but i've already heard stockhausen. then they just added bass drums and shit. cool story mates, why don't you try writing real songs for a change and not just like fucking about with the rate knob on your max patch your mom made for you? asshole. you could never hand new parameters to a genre in your life.

awesome show. 9.2/10.11

- I like the recorders live boxset idea - it could happen

I think he got that idea from Sean and Rob themselves. It was mentioned at some point in the AAA thread, I think by ae. Also, the drunk guy doesn't actually have a point. He's just angry because he found out that ae aren't a techno band anymore. The fact that he thinks Cygnus is more innovative than ae shows how clueless he is, and it's even more embarrassing that the other person is actually convinced by him.

Archived