IGNORED

Post-show drunken rant

phudoshin

I think any kind of visuals would just ruin the experience of an Autechre show. I liked that I didn't have any distractions from the music, it was exactly the kind of thing I wanted. It felt a bit awkward at first, since it was the first fully electronic show I've seen, and I wasn't used to a show with nothing going on on-stage. Once I started fully getting into the music, it was cool as hell. It's probably why they never do shows longer than an hour, though. It was a pretty intense experience.

Also, who is this other Hecker people are talking about? I'm only familiar with Tim Hecker.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim Hecker out-autechred Ae in Utrecht, when he covered the whole huge descending room in complete mist for hipsters to fist fuck safely. It was so crowded i hardly made two meters inside (and by this i don't mean fist-fucking Yao Ming).

This way you can also get away with DJ-ing a CD while smoking blunts. Take note, Sam & Sam.

Autechre is headphone music. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that their live gigs are not gonna be a party. Especially in a plain dark room, with some strange introverted people in tow. Sounds hilarious to me though.

Autechre is headphone music. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that their live gigs are not gonna be a party. Especially in a plain dark room, with some strange introverted people in tow. Sounds hilarious to me though.

Politely disagree.

So much imaging translates well to the large scale. Completely different experience with face crushing bass and a large room for different panning and imaging effects.

Trippy experience on headphones or in the club, both drastically different though.

When I left the live show I had that feeling you get after swimming in a chlorine pool for a few hours... kind of tingly and weird.

It's funny there was a point where it was vibrating the inside of my sinus cavity and I looked over at audioblysk and he pointed at his nose lol, it was doing the exact same thing to him. (well obviously we were vibrating but it was vibrating shit out of our face is my point) On the large scale it's a total body trip lol

Dear StephenG. As you a fellow watmmer who I hold very high regard for I am prepared to say fair dues and take back my blunt rather gruff statement.

I honour your wise words :beer:

Dear StephenG. As you a fellow watmmer who I hold very high regard for I am prepared to say fair dues and take back my blunt rather gruff statement.

I honour your wise words :beer:

lol :beer: <3

Also, who is this other Hecker people are talking about? I'm only familiar with Tim Hecker.

damn bro, for an alleged industrial/experimental music fan I am very disappointed, no hard feelings i just remember you being the guy who would always recommend hafler trio and stuff like that to people.

Florian Hecker

he sounds like this: 'sqwombir KRAKAKAKAbrr.. boowim-wim-wim-takawim squoorp SLUP-SLUP SLUP-SLUPupUP upUPSLup'

So basically the same as Tim Hecker?

nope Tim Hecker makes very pleasant ambient music that is only 'noisy' in the form of hipster shoegazey sheen that pretty much any modern pitchfork babe pleb can handle. Florian Hecker is an experimental musician.

No Tim Hecker sounds like this: CHORRRRRDDDDDD CHORRRRRRRRRRDDDD CHORRRRRRRRDDDDD CHOORRRDDDDDDD

My point was that neither of them are very interesting from what I've heard. Tim Hecker is kind of boring, and it seems like the other Hecker is just a bunch of random noises, so also boring.

Having been at an Autechre show this week, I agree with this. That doesn't mean it wasn't a great time; on the contrary, that's my ideal concert experience.

damn bro, for an alleged industrial/experimental music fan I am very disappointed, no hard feelings i just remember you being the guy who would always recommend hafler trio and stuff like that to people.

Florian Hecker

he sounds like this: 'sqwombir KRAKAKAKAbrr.. boowim-wim-wim-takawim squoorp SLUP-SLUP SLUP-SLUPupUP upUPSLup'

So basically the same as Tim Hecker?

nope Tim Hecker makes very pleasant ambient music that is only 'noisy' in the form of hipster shoegazey sheen that pretty much any modern pitchfork babe pleb can handle. Florian Hecker is an experimental musician.

I can't be expected to know everyone who makes experimental music. Besides, this Hecker guy seems to be more associated with the museum-musicians like Ryoji Ikeda and all those other folks on Mego or Raster-Norton. What I heard from him upon researching a bit just now wasn't very captivating. Seemed pretty lazy, honestly. It just sounds like a few weird sounds thrown together without anything to express, and your obligatory high frequency tones. Discogs says that he released his first album in 1998, which would explain why I'm unfamiliar with him. I'm still exploring the '80s stuff. "Bsf-tyk 5" seems cool, though.

No Tim Hecker sounds like this: CHORRRRRDDDDDD CHORRRRRRRRRRDDDD CHORRRRRRRRDDDDD CHOORRRDDDDDDD

My point was that neither of them are very interesting from what I've heard. Tim Hecker is kind of boring, and it seems like the other Hecker is just a bunch of random noises, so also boring.

Yeah like AE right bro? Fucking random masturbation. Right on!

Just to add to the Hecker/Hecker discussion:

Anyone who's interested might want to check out Tim Hecker's 2002 release "My Love Is Rotten To The Core." Doesn't sound like Florian Hecker but it doesn't sound like the stuff Tim Hecker is doing these days either. I found it interesting when he popped back up on my radar recently and had to check to even make sure it was the same guy.

Just my two Heckers.

-bf

Well, definitely not random - I find the composition very engaging and exciting and just generally pleasing to my ears and brain

[youtubehd]_heTpX0772I[/youtubehd]

and I do mean composition btw

I can totally appreciate someone not liking what they are going for here. There are moments of beauty in the set (that sidechained pad bit sounds so amazing in person), but for the most part this live show is some really sinister sounding shit and when they get abstract its very very abstract.

Edit: Also, Sun Pandemonium is an *amazing* record.

Yeah like AE right bro? Fucking random masturbation. Right on!

There's nothing random about Autechre.

Well, definitely not random - I find the composition very engaging and exciting and just generally pleasing to my ears and brain

[youtubehd]_heTpX0772I[/youtubehd]

and I do mean composition btw

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I didn't care for the songs that Google delivered to me when I searched for Florian Hecker, though.

I saw them in Mtl last weekend and had the exact opposite impression of the guy in the recording.

Honestly it was the best live set I've ever seen, and of the 3 times I've seen Ae it's definitely the best. I can't imagine how you could come out of that show thinking anything other than 'that was fucking incredible'

Guest WNS000

Politely disagree.

So much imaging translates well to the large scale. Completely different experience with face crushing bass and a large room for different panning and imaging effects.

If (!) you have good acoustic treatment in the room (absolute minority of cases). If not, imaging is wasted in a huge stereo-reverby mass (absolute majority of cases).

I agree with others that Ae music works best on quality headphones (or in a very well treated room which most of the listeners will never get). Dry acoustic environment is a key for it to translate properly IMO. You can completely waste all the sophisticated stuff in their music by just playing it through speakers in a typical room. Sophisticated, delicate abstract music needs good listening conditions.

Also, rhythmically sensitive tracks suffer terribly if there is too much reverb in a room. Producers create those meticulously crafted beats where every hit length of a percussion matters and is tweaked in milliseconds to give it that ideal feel and swing. And then we just play it in our living rooms to completely waste it and distort the time dimension of it? I hate, when I hear my room in someone else's music. I can stand it in rock music or music where illusion of space is not that important. But with Ae, the space creates the whole setting for the track. It is a vital part of a composition in their tracks. If some track is intended to be dry, it is for a reason. If not, the artist decides if there's gonna be a reverb or not.

IMHO etc.

Archived