IGNORED

SYRO - Nominated for Mercury Music Prize

Malkmus

From the Mercury Prize website:

2015 sees the Mercury Prize form an extensive new partnership with BBC Music. As well as broadcasting exclusive coverage of the shortlist and winner announcements, the BBC will also showcase the Mercury Prize 2015 Albums of the Year through a series of studio sessions featuring this year’s shortlisted artists.

Good fucking luck grabbing Dicky boy!

From the Mercury Prize website:

2015 sees the Mercury Prize form an extensive new partnership with BBC Music. As well as broadcasting exclusive coverage of the shortlist and winner announcements, the BBC will also showcase the Mercury Prize 2015 Albums of the Year through a series of studio sessions featuring this year’s shortlisted artists.

Good fucking luck grabbing Dicky boy!

Yeah, pretty much the first reason he won't win, which highlights what an absurb award it is

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but Public Service Broadcasting are wankers. They shouldn't even be in the music business.

Syro FTW!!!

Earlier this year my mate played me that PSB album in his car sounding really enthusiastic about it. I thought it was wank, sounded like an anonymous indie band trying to ape the Ghostbox aesthetic but sounding like a weak Future Sound Of London. Then i saw about 20 minutes of their set at a festival this year and that also failed to make any impact on me. The main guy looked like that Welsh choirmaster off the BBC.

I'm sorry, but Public Service Broadcasting are wankers. They shouldn't even be in the music business.

Syro FTW!!!

What's wrong with them?

Sorry for sounding like a wanker myself. It was just me venting my opinion. Public Service Broadcasting sounds like slick and pleasant but totally nondescript background muzak, some kind of happy-go-lucky "indie rock" with too many film samples just thrown on top. The samples are gimmicky, tiresome, don't really gel with the music and it doesn't grab me at all. Like a poor man's mix of Boards Of Canada, Ghost Box and I don't know what. But it would probably work great as background music for documentaries on Discovery or something. Some reviewer wrote that it sounds like "Kraftwerk meets Aphex Twin meets Daft Punk". I think it sounds like someone playing a KPM "indie" CD whilst watching some old public information films.

In fact, try this: Play these two videos at the same time. Instant Public Service Broadcasting!

(or
)

Or perhaps I'm just too dumb for their music.

don't worry, i don't see the point either. they are competent and it's fun how he plays the guitar and keyboards simultaneously. But the gimmick is tiresome and the music lacks fire, is bland. It's like some one off project got out of hand by catching the interest of the uninteresting.

The Gaz Coombes album Matador is quite good.

Yup, nice album, suprising as back in the day I wasn't into Supergrass at all. This record has some really nice tunes on it.

that one supergrass album was really strong i thought, so when this thread started i checked the wot a wot and came up with some videos for singles and his glasto appearance. Tempo was a bit slow and too many balads in that live thingoe, and the overall effect of the singles was blandness to me, i could see what he was going for and it was almost interesting there was some heart there but not enough song craft.

• 3 weeks later...

Christ on a bike, this has been going on for ages. Whens the fwucin' ceremony?

Been milking this for ages on BBC6, getting more snoozeworthy than a pint of warm beer in the mid-day summer sun.

Anyone who's into proper fucking tunes don't give a shit about awards. We all know that. No matter how you dress it up, if your into tunes you don't give a shit. Hah nothing worse imo. The irony of it all is that Aphex with his most mainstream album is the most leftfield of all those artists. Wolf Alice seems okay.

Bllllluuuuuueeeeegggggggh!!!!!

they lend you the grammy !! That's a bit gammy. and scammy. I'm sure people have sold them though or maybe that was oscar's (lol rich should win one of those for some of the premium bs he's convincingly pulled over the years, heheh). What's the point of lending it, do they reserve the right to rescind their decision to make you that years 'best at insert genre name here', if say, you don't live up to the moral standards that one bestowed such a mighty honour should.

I wonder if he'll get an mbe or even be knighted one day, sir richard.

"In order to ensure that as much media coverage as possible is concentrated on the artists and their music, it has been a policy since the Prize began that the production company behind the Prize does not engage in any publicity or PR activity other than that which directly benefits the artists that it’s promoting. The focus of the Mercury Prize is always on the music and the artists and their albums".

Mercury funds terrorism. Probably. Anyway, it is ultimately Barclaycard! Good job he didn't win, talk about fucking psychic attacks!

Despite my love for the album, glad it didn't win.

Dunno if it was mentioned on here at the time, but Syro was nominated for the Choice Music Prize in Ireland last year. RDJ was eligible having been born in Limerick - there were many eyebrows raised about this as there didn't seem to be much solid evidence until Warp confirmed it: http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2015/01/14/the-aphex-twin-has-spoken/

The whole thing came off as somewhat desperate and cynical - nobody considers Aphex an "Irish artist".

As for the Mercury prize - better to let that be a springboard for someone less known.

Also in the mid-90s I shared a house with a girl whose musical taste seemed entirely arbitrary until I realised every CD she owned had a "nominated for the Mercury Prize" sticker on it.... freaked out by that to this day :huh:

Archived