• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor boxes as in bad gear or poor as in "oh no, think of the poor elektrons"?

Elektrons are defo no bad gear. :emb:

(I tried to implement something as capable as the octa for years and gave up on it, cause i was becoming an instrument builder instead of an artist. Also building a good control interface with standard midi hardware was a nightmare pre livid and KMI thought.)

Guest Chesney

Exactly Modey, One of the reasons I set myself those parameters is that I do graphics on a outer all day too. Looking at screens all day and then night is crazy on the eyes.

anyway… noise.

Circuit bend toys and keyboards and put through a looper/ delay pedal or something and heavy distortion.

My 2 cents:

You won't get any better at producing music by listening to people's advice on what to buy.

this is pretty true, especially with noise, which is a genre that pretty much originated from people using literally anything they had lying around in order to create a sound. Having said that, I can understand how it may be daunting at first.

My 2 cents:

You won't get any better at producing music by listening to people's advice on what to buy.

this is pretty true, especially with noise, which is a genre that pretty much originated from people using literally anything they had lying around in order to create a sound. Having said that, I can understand how it may be daunting at first.

Well, I mean... it's just noise. Just make noise and add or subtract stuff until you reach something that pleases your ears. It doesn't really require that much thinking.

Guest Chesney

I guess the trick here is to make something interesting with the noise. Just straight noise has been done to death. New gear, new ideas, new noise.

I was jonesing for a modular setup for a while then one day patched my 12 channel mixer up with feed back loops that all led into other channels. plugged an expression pedal into the input of track one and off I went! so much fun. did this with 3 different mixers and I was surprised at the character of each mixer. Highly recommend just messing with feedback. anything with a couple inputs and outputs will work. Just be careful not to run any powered outputs into anything...i blew up my macbook with my noise hardware ...while aggressively re patching things I accidentally plugged the (powered) speaker out of an old record player into the mic input and ZAP! my arm hare was standing straight up and my laptop was toast.

first i think you're making a mistake basing incoming advice off of 'contemporary noise artists' like prurient. Check out noise artists like pain jerk or white house. Once you do that you will probably also realize it is fundamentally problematic to ask what equipment you need to 'make noise'

first i think you're making a mistake basing incoming advice off of 'contemporary noise artists' like prurient. Check out noise artists like pain jerk or white house. Once you do that you will probably also realize it is fundamentally problematic to ask what equipment you need to 'make noise'

i know what you mean but i´m not interested in these artists at all

I was jonesing for a modular setup for a while then one day patched my 12 channel mixer up with feed back loops that all led into other channels. plugged an expression pedal into the input of track one and off I went! so much fun. did this with 3 different mixers and I was surprised at the character of each mixer. Highly recommend just messing with feedback. anything with a couple inputs and outputs will work. Just be careful not to run any powered outputs into anything...i blew up my macbook with my noise hardware ...while aggressively re patching things I accidentally plugged the (powered) speaker out of an old record player into the mic input and ZAP! my arm hare was standing straight up and my laptop was toast.

haha thats the spirit of noise ! cool story

You can make noise with anything. If you want interesting results, then don't ask us, because you'll only get stuff that's already been done. The fun of noise is figuring out how to do it in a way that nobody's ever thought of before. My advice is to find the least noisy or least expected gear and find some way do manipulate it into producing noise, whether that involves circuit-bending or certain recording techniques or whatever. Remember, if Jandek can make noise music on an acoustic guitar, then it can be done with anything.

Prurient and Wolf Eyes suck, that is all

HoYp1cA.gif

I hate to be rude, but I'm going to bump this post for layin' down some truth.

Seriously, I don't get what Prurient is trying to do with those death metal vocals, it just confuses me.

Also, don't rely on distortion to make it "noisey". In my opinion, it's more interesting when it isn't noisey at all, because that's when you can hear all the little details. Listen to some Otomo Yoshihide, Toshimaru Nakamura, and Keiji Haino for examples of noise sort of music that isn't necessarily noisey (at least not all of the time).

but i´m not interested in these artists at all

unacceptable. tbh if you are interested in Prurient but not an older japanese musician like Painjerk there is a big fundamental problem at play here combined with the fact that you needed to make a thread (which lets face it is incredibly inappropriate) asking what equipment was needed to make 'noise' a genre rooted in pure primal experimentation. I don't like this thread, it should have never existed in the first place, but it is an interesting demonstration of... something

oh god this is getting ridiculous , it seems everyone has a completly different understanding of what i asked (some people understood it the right way)

i just want to make noise for myself for FUN and i have no idea of gear related stuff thats why I asked about basic stuff.

pls someone close this thread its just a sad example of ego driven answers (i know it better, you should do this and so on.....

Archived