IGNORED

David Bowie - Blackstar

kaini

http://pitchfork.com/news/61774-david-bowie-reportedly-releasing-new-album-blackstar-in-january/

On January 8, 2016, David Bowie will release a new album called Blackstar, the Times of London reports. The 7-song LP was reportedly recorded at the Magic Shop studio in New York with local jazz musicians. Its 10-minute title track, recently excerpted as the theme tune for the Sky Atlantic heist series The Last Panthers, is apparently due November 19. (That track will also feature in Lazarus, the stage show Bowie is co-writing.) The Times describes the record as "an album of long, jazzy jams mixed with the kind of driving beat pioneered by Seventies German bands Can and Kraftwerk."

Elsewhere in the story, which quotes a "Bowie insider" who claims to have heard the finished record, the full title track is said to contain "Gregorian chants, a soul section, various electronic beats and bleeps and Bowie's distinctive vocals." The source describes the record as "completely bonkers."

As yet, there's no confirmation from Bowie's camp.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a David Bowie fan (yet), but the description + that song in the advertisement are really cool.

Can someone recommend a starting point for me since his discography is huge?

Low/Heroes/Lodger trilogy with Eno is well respected, his old Ziggy Stardust stuff is classic glam. He was all over the place from the 80s onward. The mid to late 90s output was heavily influenced by Trent Reznor.

Low/Heroes/Lodger trilogy with Eno is well respected, his old Ziggy Stardust stuff is classic glam. He was all over the place from the 80s onward. The mid to late 90s output was heavily influenced by Trent Reznor.

Who is Trent Reznor?

StephenG, I think you would like the album Earthling.

I'll check it out, thanks =)

I've recently started getting into other genres. Made my way through Brian Eno's discography, and then Herbie Hancock's. I hope Bowie's is just as rewarding.

haha i think you were getting trolled on "earthling" it's often cited as his least amazing album

Not at all. I genuinely think it's a great album, and I think it would appeal specifically to SG's tastes more than others. My favorite albums of artists who are typically highly revered critically, tend to be the ones that critics consider a lower point for the artist. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be true in most cases. It seems to me like that one was panned largely because there was very little "classic Bowie" about it, and many fans/critics viewed it as him trying too hard to appeal to a younger fan base (electronica/d&b influence etc.). But I think it resulted in a very unique, highly underrated album.

*not my favorite Bowie, mind you, but it's up there.

Guest bitroast

^eno berlin albums (low heroes lodger).

Station to station, the album just before the berlin albums is also wicked snd funky as fuck.

haha i think you were getting trolled on "earthling" it's often cited as his least amazing album

I genuinely think it's a great album, and I think it would appeal specifically to SG's tastes more than others.

Hey, thank you for this. I appreciate it big time. I'm going to give it a shot and go from there. cheers man

No prob, happy to be of help! Scary Monsters is also excellent, might even be my favorite, but for some reason I feel like Earthling is a better SG gateway. I think Scary Monsters is worth saving for later. It's a good surprise album.

Not at all. I genuinely think it's a great album, and I think it would appeal specifically to SG's tastes more than others. My favorite albums of artists who are typically highly revered critically, tend to be the ones that critics consider a lower point for the artist. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be true in most cases. It seems to me like that one was panned largely because there was very little "classic Bowie" about it, and many fans/critics viewed it as him trying too hard to appeal to a younger fan base (electronica/d&b influence etc.). But I think it resulted in a very unique, highly underrated album.

*not my favorite Bowie, mind you, but it's up there.

Tin Machine

Station to Station through to Scary Monsters is a brilliant run of records - never been a fan of Lodger but I know lots of people who are so I can let it off.

Outside and Earthling are good entry points for electronica fans I suppose. The Next Day is definitely worth a punt. Ziggy and Aladdin Sane if you fancy something on the creative end of glam rock.

• 3 weeks later...

holy. shit.

this is phenomenal. i've been getting pumped up for this new bowie album since i heard about it a little while back, and the idea of working with jazz musicians and using krautrock production got me excited.. but nothing could have prepared me for this. fuck. as i started watching and hearing i was about to start making references to Outside, Black Tie White Noise, Lodger, even Station to Station- (all 4 of the 4/5 fav bowie albums of mine), but this just goes beyond. If this is an indication of the rest of the album, this release is truly NEXT LEVEL SHIT!

11/10 over and over

Archived