IGNORED

[Star Trek: Discovery] New Star Trek Series 2017

Nebraska

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

Alex Kurtzman producing probably means this will be connected to the Abrams universe.... However, new Star Trek is new Star Trek, and I'd be interested to see a new cast and Captain.

I would have loved to see a Worf show that was touted a couple of years ago. He would have gone through a ship an episode!

[youtubehd]rTAx8r_090o[/youtubehd]

this is going to be shit, just like the new movies were.

the new movies were good man, i liked them...bit of chris pine and that other guy. excellent.

they were ok as bog standard sci fi action movies, they were shit as star trek films though.

Guest bitroast

im skeptical this will be any good...

it just .... there are so many reasons for this to fall into place and be produced without any real reason for needing to exist or being produced for right reasons.

but ... im hoping it's excellent of course... heh.

the new movies were good man, i liked them...bit of chris pine and that other guy. excellent.

they were ok as bog standard sci fi action movies, they were shit as star trek films though.

Dunno what universe you live in, but in mine, ALL the original Star Trek movies were shit, and the most recent two are miles better than any of the previous ones - IMO, of course.

It will be interesting to see what this new series does - reboot, something totally new, or an omage.

They say it won't be connected to the current films, so I suspect no Enterprise (or at least a contemporary version of it), no Kirk, Spock, etc.

BTW, still, highly impressed with this fan effort: http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

Up to FIVE episodes now!

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

very much in your opinion. The first few of the original series of films with the original cast were great. Was actual sci-fi with a team you knew and loved. The latest two were ham fisted arse leavings by a director that admitted that he never "got" star trek and people's admiration for it.

edit, probably sounds a bit harsh, but yanoe, you went a bit into omGland there for dleetr this tired morning, heh.

Guest bitroast

wow yeah wtf.

star trek 1 is boring and more/less a super drawn out TOS episode but is still nice and watchable enough if you are in a vegged out kind of mood.

star trek 2 is wicked.

star trek 3 is wicked (really like this one for the neemoy spiritual over emphasis. makes for an interesting watch).

star trek 4 is fun.

star trek 5 is TERRIBLE.

star trek 6 is pretty sweet actually (ignoring the old actors being past their prime on the big screen + ignoring the cgi klingon blood).

BTW, still, highly impressed with this fan effort: http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

Up to FIVE episodes now!

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

yes, only watched the first episode and was very impressed (even though it had a few boring parts but at least it felt like star trek).

btw: when they said the new series won't be connected to the movies, i took it to mean they're going back to the roddenberry cannon of events so taking into account important star dates, treaties and species either in (or out) of the federation

p.s. really wish they made a series that's based around star fleet academy and takes place either right before, or right after VOY

Edited by Nebraska

wow yeah wtf.

star trek 1 is boring and more/less a super drawn out TOS episode but is still nice and watchable enough if you are in a vegged out kind of mood.

star trek 2 is wicked.

star trek 3 is wicked (really like this one for the neemoy spiritual over emphasis. makes for an interesting watch).

star trek 4 is fun.

star trek 5 is TERRIBLE.

star trek 6 is pretty sweet actually (ignoring the old actors being past their prime on the big screen + ignoring the cgi klingon blood).

I'd agree with that breakdown. While the Final Frontier might be pretty lame, It is the dynamic between Spock, Kirk and McCoy that still makes it watchable for me, despite the outrageous storyline. That dynamic is present in all of the films up to Undiscovered Country, lets not talk about Generations though.

Abrams delivered a couple of enjoyable films, but they are just space fantasy action flicks. Notwithstanding Nimoy's appearances, and the characters names, the new films lack any trace what makes Star Trek and what made TOS special. Might as well call it Space Force in the 23rd Century.

Dunno what universe you live in, but in mine, ALL the original Star Trek movies were shit, and the most recent two are miles better than any of the previous ones - IMO, of course.

It will be interesting to see what this new series does - reboot, something totally new, or an omage.

They say it won't be connected to the current films, so I suspect no Enterprise (or at least a contemporary version of it), no Kirk, Spock, etc.

even if you were right that the original movies were shit (you're not), the new movies have practically nothing in common with any of the TV series' either.

if Abrams wants to make a scifi actioner, why doesn't he just come up an original fucking idea? why does everything need to be a remake or reboot? especially when they tend to piss all over much beloved characters and ideas.

Guest bitroast

yeah. i half enjoyed the first star trek jj film but the 2nd one was a stupid insult, rehashing Khan.

the writing in the new movies is not what made them enjoyable.... if a co-writer on the films is supposed to for some reason boost my confidence in the new tv series : |

Guest bitroast

wow yeah wtf.

star trek 2 is wicked.

star trek 4 is fun.

star trek 5 is TERRIBLE.

I'd agree with that breakdown. While the Final Frontier might be pretty lame, It is the dynamic between Spock, Kirk and McCoy that still makes it watchable for me, despite the outrageous storyline. That dynamic is present in all of the films up to Undiscovered Country, lets not talk about Generations though.

Abrams delivered a couple of enjoyable films, but they are just space fantasy action flicks. Notwithstanding Nimoy's appearances, and the characters names, the new films lack any trace what makes Star Trek and what made TOS special. Might as well call it Space Force in the 23rd Century.

yesss.

it's amazing that the TOS managed to nail it imo. replicating what made the TOS work ( the good cast + bond between characters ) but still managed to completely fuck it up with just about every film.

The Final Frontier i find funny more just because it's shatners turn to direct a film and i can barely stomach the end product at all.

wow yeah wtf.

star trek 2 is wicked.

star trek 4 is fun.

star trek 5 is TERRIBLE.

yesss.

it's amazing that the TOS managed to nail it imo. replicating what made the TOS work ( the good cast + bond between characters ) but still managed to completely fuck it up with just about every film.

The Final Frontier i find funny more just because it's shatners turn to direct a film and i can barely stomach the end product at all.

TOS was, and still is some great sci fiction, even if the social commentary was a little hokey at times. The fact that they managed to revisit the characters 10 years later and update them, particularly Spock, while still maintaining the vibe that made the TV series so great is impressive.

The relationships between the main characters in the new films are not believable. For me. the death scene from Into Darkness rings hollow, I don't see much chemistry between the characters, they are just aping previous performances (imo) It reminds me of this type of criminal behaviour:

[youtubehd]bxU2eqZtYmc[/youtubehd]

And Final Frontier is rubbish, but come on, we are in some serious so bad its good territory

[youtubehd]dxk1BSQo8bg[/youtubehd]

the new films were crud. star trek shouldn't be an action block buster. it can have some action but usually it is drawn out and heavily strategic, political and interesting. there was no interesting dialogue, no discovery, no real drama or decent concepts just wham thud crash whoosh. meh

• 3 months later...