IGNORED

Clark scores new crime thriller series The Last Panthers

Perezvon

It all started on a porch in Melbourne with a viola and a contact mic. I've never worked on anything like this before and it's probably the most exciting / fun / at times panic inducing thing I've ever done.

The narrative of the show is vast, deep. It spans many different eras in the characters lives, so it needed to be coherent. The intention was to make the unfolding stories of the characters seem lucid and effortless.

Seeing the show get edited down to this concise, six part slab of dramatic excellence was inspiring, and definitely helped the music stay fresh. I'm honoured that The Last Panthers is the first foray into film I've had, it's an immense project to be involved in.

'The Last Panthers' will air on Sky Atlantic starting 12th November 2015.

First track :

https://soundcloud.com/throttleclark/omni-vignette

nice

That plus the theme by Bowie, I'm interested :

Interesting they had Bowie do the titles, but Clark do the soundtrack - perhaps Bowie was too expensive or didn't want to do a full soundtrack?

It's co-produced by Warp Films actually. Might explain that. But of course the director phrases it in a poetic way :

Renck says: "In scoring the series, it felt idiotic to not tap into one of the founding corners of Warp. Thus, we were enamoured by artist Chris Clark and the collaboration found its shape quickly. Chris's sensibilities and brazen creativity was bang on for a score to deal with everything from the Biblical grandeur of the story, via brooding darkness all the way over to tender sentimentality. He had it covered."

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=32105

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OST LP announced

Clark’s score for ‘The Last Panthers’ will be released 18 March 2016 on Warp Records. Available as an LP, Download and special Limited Edition CD in case bound sleeve, individually numbered with silver foil stamp to back cover.

http://throttleclark.com/

Series was rather nice. Far from perfect but it had its moments and hit on some right nails.

gonna listen later. It's not just shittvdrama inception bass farts and buzzsaw sounds is it. Also weird filtered percussion to indicate tension (dunno a good example offhand)

There was some of that but apparently this release wasn't made straight out of the score per se.

I was quite shocked when I heard all the final cues from Panthers, lined up in the exact order they appear in the show, in a clinical linear fashion. I thought, ‘there’s no way that’s an album as it is’. There were about 60 tracks for a start. I felt like I had to rescue it from being a conventional exposition of the music in the series, so I went on an immense chiselling/editing mission and also started writing new material. I think it works as a standalone album, it’s a continuous slab of liquid melancholy, it resonates through harmony and texture. Rhythm felt less important.

that "petiatil cx htdui"-esque piano diddling makes me feel lonely and bleak, which is probably more a cause of constant illness and the shitty weather here.

but anyway, strong emotions induced through sounds is always a good for sign. looking forward to this Clark album.

• 2 weeks later...

that "petiatil cx htdui"-esque piano diddling makes me feel lonely and bleak, which is probably more a cause of constant illness and the shitty weather here.

but anyway, strong emotions induced through sounds is always a good for sign. looking forward to this Clark album.

its even more emotional during the serie, when you see un tanks drive threw destroyed buildings covered in snow.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Chesney

Got CD today. Very nice. Cold, eerie piano, strings and fizzy fog sounding ambient body riddlesque typical clark. Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah this not only fits the series perfectly which is also very... emotive and doesn't want to be thrilling in the first place - but also works amazing as a soundtrack for a rainy day. I think I like this more as a whole than Clark or Iradelphic. Very consistent and deep.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived