IGNORED

How did you get into Ae?

Schlitze

no? youre a madman! ergo, yes!

I haven't been even drunk once in my life. Ae is simply sophisticated music for careful listening and after a while it will become a second nature when you know all the usual patterns. The more experienced in music one is the easier is listening to and really understanding Ae's compositions. No need for drugs whatsoever. It is just learning. Nothing else.

Yeah i listened to ae while drunk once or twice but prefer lucid listening a million times... Sure drugs can give a different and sometimes very detailed experiente but the music appreciation itself is not directly connected to drug use (although ae themselves stated in aaa the influence of drug psychedelia in their aesthetic)

I would certainly agree with Jev. Hate stellas though

Edited by amad

• 2 weeks later...

I was spoon fed,three pieces at first,Rsdio,clipper and gnit.That was about seven,maybe eight years ago.

Wow.That was some start to a relationship.

For me it was Confield. I had no idea that this wasn't the album to start with. Nevertheless... I tried several times and found it extremely dry and boring. Then I wasn't listening to AE for quite a while (didn't even bother to check their other output) and then suddenly years after, while jogging in winter forrest just outside of Warsaw I had a shuffle mode on on my phne and I heard Altibzz. I felt mesmerized and needed to stop runing. The music was a complete match to being alone in a grey forrest. That's how my obsession has started...

I heard Kalpol Introl on Pi. looked them up. rest is history. this was after a long period of not listening to/being bored by music and wanting something completely different. for the first year or so my favourite album was EP7. then after that it was Confield. then it was Untittied. now it's either that or Exai. I like Exai a lot. so yeah, they're probably getting better as they age, I dunno. what's important is that they continue to evolve as they age, "better" is subjective.

they'll probably be at the top of the pile for me for the rest of this mortal existence.

I haven't been even drunk once in my life. Ae is simply sophisticated music for careful listening and after a while it will become a second nature when you know all the usual patterns. The more experienced in music one is the easier is listening to and really understanding Ae's compositions. No need for drugs whatsoever. It is just learning. Nothing else.

giphy.gif

2013 I was first getting into good electronic music. I digged "Eutow" but thought Tri Repetae was unlistenable garbage haha. 2014 I really got into Incunabula, didn't think Autechre could get any better than that. Then, early this year, everything they made totally clicked; the next album from them I had listened to was Chiastic Slide (recommended by Scaruffi) and I loved it instantly. There are very few days this year where I haven't listened to Autechre. I still find Tri Repetae one of their less enjoyable releases, but still like it a lot nonetheless. Undoubtedly my favorite artist.

After reading that Thom Yorke was listening to them while working on Kid A/Amnesiac (Pulk Pull Revolving doors was one of my fav tracks dehehe)
so a friend of mine gave me a copy of EP7 and as soon as Dropp came in my life suddenly changed

while jogging in winter forrest just outside of Warsaw I had a shuffle mode on on my phne and I heard Altibzz. I felt mesmerized and needed to stop runing. The music was a complete match to being alone in a grey forrest. That's how my obsession has started...

That's a hell of a track to start with. It floored me when I first heard it and I'd already been listening to Autechre for years. That almost sounds like a religious experience.

• 2 weeks later...

September 2013, had just moved to the Chicago suburbs for a new job. Was pretty restless and irritable on account of not knowing anyone, my gf was living 3.5 hours away and I was too far away from Chicago to make trips on a decent basis. Figured if nothing else I'd have to entertain myself by finding and buying a shitload of new music, and I stumbled upon ae after using Monolake (my main source of ambient electronic music at the time) as a starting point. The melancholic vibes of Amber fit my mood perfectly at the time and kept me trucking things picked up a few months later.

Edited by SmokingGnu

I became really obsessed with Autechre after seeing them live for the first time.

It was at the Rex club in Paris, sound was massive, in pitch black, I felt in my guts all the freaking frequencies...

It has been like a religious encounting for me.

It was the first time i felt a electronic live set so deeply in me. A revelation !

Like the first acid.

Since i'm obsessed with the 'chre but i can share on my autism on watmm !!

My -now, then not yet- girlfriend introduced them to me with 'Surripere' and it blew me away. It opened up a whole new world of sound to me, sounds I didn't know existed. Before that I listened to shit like trance (Bonzai etc.) which didn't really satisfy me anymore. Artists like Cass & Slide sort of appealed to me more, but I was looking for something different entirely. Then Autechre happened! Never listened to my old tunes again...

Ha brilliant, Surripere is such a harsh introduction . Draft itself was pretty difficult on the first 20 listens. But you just burst on in there, nice one!

True. That's the Ae way. I spent so long listening to Confield and when Draft came out I wasn't into it at all at first apart from V-Proc even though I was listening to it constantly trying to ''get it'', months later Sudden Roundabout and Surripere clicked completely then Untitled and I was bewildered again. But yeah, Surripere as an entry point is mind blowing, given all that I got through to get to it. Ae rock.

*listens to Draft all the way through on headphones*

I was getting into everything Warp records and HMV had a sale on where all CD's from them were buy one get one half price, cash was tight but decided to take a punt and bought Incunabula. I didn't have the music choice available to us now so I stuck with it for awhile, took some time to click but when it did I delved further, got LP5 and they totally kicked my arse. Been a fan since. I occasionally wonder how much new music I miss now because of how rarely I give it a chance unlike in the past.