IGNORED

How did you get into Ae?

Schlitze

my friend loaned me big loada cd when i was 15, loved it,. checked out other 'driil'n'bass' (that was a thing, wow) and eventually ended up on autechre through aphex twin/warp connection. i was a weird teenager.

it was in 2002 so in my pre-internet years btw, im very proud of my research.

Edited by kinski

I started to explore electronic music after years of mostly rock, metal and jazz. I enjoyed Orbital's In Sides and Brown album so I explored AllMusic for other tips and was recommended Amber. It was a bad recommendation because it is one of the weakest AE albums and not really similar to Orbital. There was something interesting with a potential though so I tried some other AE stuff and after some time I was a fan. Still not really a big fan of early AE though.

Edited by Jev

It'll sound crazy, but one night i saw a moth who spoke with me (with a creepy accent similar to Bane from Dark Knight). He said he's actually a prince and got a royal education, which explained his polyglot ability. So we talked for a while mostly de-mythologizing moths, i asked for his name and he said human friends just call him Mothy. We shared our views on music among other things, he thoroughly recommended Ae "all insects are into this shit". I had no chance to thank him.

1974 -1984 Fisher Price kids records like The Sun Has Got His Hat On. Mum and dads records (Ennio Morricone, Buddy Holly, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones). Buys first vinyl record of Michael Jacksons Thriller in Woolworths, I remember it like yesterday.

1984 Hears Streetsounds Electro 5, Run DMC, Planet Rock. Everything changes. Hip-hop don't stop, until...

1989 Friend at school lends TDK90 of Slayer Reign in Blood and Metallica And Justice For All. Head gets blown off. Is a hardcore metal head for a few years....

1990's .....but then starts to hear early Dylan, Joy Division, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Sisters of Mercy, Stone Roses, Velvet Underground, Lee Scratch Perry etc etc etc. So metal mission continues but with loads of other genres. But dismisses most electronic rave music as bullshit made by drugged up cunts in cuckoo land.

1996 Goes round mates house, he plays Insides by Orbital. Everything changes and books first class ticket to cuckoo land. Marvellous.

1996 John Peel plays Girl/Boy. Head gets not only blown off but scraped off walls, and fried in a pan and served up with strange, peculier Cornish Au jus. Next weekend empties piggy bank and runs off to record store. Buys what I could find from the Aphex Twin department. Bee's knees. Spies Autechre Amber in Warp Records section at Reading HMV. Buys it. Head gets blown off again. Music from another dimension.

Joins Watmm. Talks Codshit.

1974 -1984

stevieG feels young. :emotawesomepm9:

I didn't get into Autechre until Exai, I'm a newbie. Since then I've purchased all their records I can find. Watmm got me into autechre.

Funny to see so many people falling in love with techno to In Sides. Happened to me too round 96 or 97. Again, funny.

To me, it is one of the best albums I have ever heard. The composition and flow is just amazing. And it still sounds quite fresh today. It is a huge shame what happened to Orbital after that. But I am off topic.

My big favorite of the mid to late 90s was Orbital as well. I think it was because of the Wipeout soundtrack but hard to remember. When I got online some time later I went to loopz website and used audiogalaxy and whatever, somehow I stumbled upon autechre. My first album by them was LP5, and then I bought Confield the day it came to the shop near me. It was hard to find 'idm' mp3s in like 2000 if I remember correctly. I asked some people for an FTP on irc and one guy had a decent collection.

I saw Salad Fingers at some point in highschool and loved it. Firth prominently displayed the music credits at the end (BOC - Beware The Friendly Stranger) which led me to check out mhtrtc and geogaddi and I loved those albums. Firth's cartoons also had a lot of aphex twin in them so I checked him out and liked it, eventually checked out the warp records site (the old boxy one) and probably the first autechre track I heard was LCC which was their most recent album at the time.

I clicked through a bunch of their tracks and thought it was weird and didn't really like it but I checked out samples of a whole bunch of tracks and rpeg was probably the first track that really got its hooks into me (although I hated everything after the first minute or two at the time). Then I think it was clipper/eutow and from there I just gradually started clicking with more of their tracks.

So yeah, it's all thanks to some weird crazy flash animator posting his insanity onto newgrounds.

Edited by thehauntingsoul

First got into Plaid and Squarepusher when a friend of mine and I bumped into Trent reznor outside his studio in New Orleans (this was during a big NIN phase in my life in '99)

He gave us copies of rest proof clockwork and the maximum priest ep

The two bass hit remix was the first time I heard anything by Ae

A year later I was fairly into electronic music and a different friend kept telling me about autechre and LP5 but I never actually heard it

Their name kept popping up as I read more radiohead based stuff shortly after Kid A came out

Finally around 2003 my friend who first recommended LP5 dumped everything of theirs onto my iPod (he also put BOC on their so that is how that started too)

I played their whole discogrophy through while on particularly long car trip

Total fan boy by the time untilted came out 2 years later

Real question is why did it take so long to end up on watmm

Edited by fizzkinz

Funny to see so many people falling in love with techno to In Sides. Happened to me too round 96 or 97. Again, funny.

To me, it is one of the best albums I have ever heard. The composition and flow is just amazing. And it still sounds quite fresh today. It is a huge shame what happened to Orbital after that. But I am off topic.

In Sides did it for me as well. The Girl with the Sun in Her Head still stands as one of the most sublime pieces of electronic music I've ever heard. Just pure timeless magic. But now I'm off topic too haha Edited by NI64

A friend lent me his tape of incunabula back in 94, then I bought Amber and have since bought all the LPs and EPs plus various other bits and bobs.

Amber remains one of my fav albums of all time.

Got into AFX after a college sound teacher played us Girl/Boy Song even though I'd already seen Windowlicker and the Chris Cunningham DVD. Saw them mentioned in a lot of the same articles and wound up downloading Eggshell and Doctrine and then went on to go buy Incunabula, Tri Repetae, Chiastic and Confield on CD the same week.

Was listening to Download and Skinny Puppy a lot and read an interview with cEvin Key where he was asked what he was listening to lately and he raved about Autechre. This was around the time Tri Repetae++ came out so I sought it out and the rest is history.

2004/5-ish

Still remember exactly - a friend was big into ae, but I didn't quite get it, e.g. I had once dl'd bass cadet from slsk because I liked the name but found it cheesy AF. At the time I was listening mostly to Ipecac things, Mr.Patton was the big hero, also fucking TOOL... although Squarepusher's Go Plastic & Music Is Rotted One Note were in heavy rotation too... Ae though, it somehow rubbed me wrong (too synthetic, bah!)..... until...... Chiastic Slide, which I got from aforementioned friend, was playing in the background while I was doing some bass guitar exercise without really listening to the music.... At some point during CIPATER it finally happened.... was like the funkiest thing I'd ever heard from another world entirely, was kinda jamming along with the bass in awe and that was that thanks.

i keep forgetting that i was really into tool 6 or 7 years ago, still like it, but i just listened to all the albums too many times to be super-excited by any particular song by them. if they ever release a new album it would probably make me shit my pants more than a new Autechre album, to be honest, though not a new BOC album. i guess tool and BOC have a similar sort of mystic appeal to me, i love Ae but they don't really have that sort of feel to me, which is fine

radiohead were namedropping warpsters quite a lot in the early 00's so eventually i napstered (or maybe audiogalaxied) me some ae, i remember the first tracks i ever grabbed, "nine" from amber and "left blank" from ep7 , the former thought was very nice, but the latter was really a new parameters handing moment to me, haven't heard anything alike and i was quite fascinated. confield came out shortly after and i got really into it.