IGNORED

Let's see your drum machines (:

Lane Visitor

16925932224_f942b248dd_c.jpg

+ Octatrack

did you make the case yourself? if so, what did you use for measurements, layout, etc.? is there an accurate drawing out there, or did you measure it yourself?

i just built an lxr and am weighing my case options, what you've got looks sweet, love the colors and minimal look.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mokz, how is the DCM8? I was itching to give it a try.

my current beatmakers: sFPj0pP.jpg

Oh damn, I have that same relaxing sound machine! Found it at a thrift shop a few years ago for $8, somebody had already added a 1/4" out and everything.

Mokz, how is the DCM8? I was itching to give it a try.

It sounds really good and super crunchy but making your own sounds is pretty complicated. There's a pretty nice collection of presets though. Also programming beats is straightforward but you only have 8 steps on the panel so you have to switch between different parts (if your beat is longer than 8 steps). I like it because it sounds so different from the rest of my gear.

did you make the case yourself? if so, what did you use for measurements, layout, etc.? is there an accurate drawing out there, or did you measure it yourself?

i just built an lxr and am weighing my case options, what you've got looks sweet, love the colors and minimal look.

Thanks.

Yeah i ordered laser cut parts and glued 'em together

Cabinet parts their thickness has to be 6 mm. You should drill vent holes then:

17548377181_ab99ca06c1_c.jpg

Front panel consists of 3 parts. Laser cut 1 mm carton as bedding + paper with print + transparent 2mm laser cut plexiglas as cover

Bedding + Cover (don't look at labels, they are wrong)

Back panel (should be 3 mm)

Print I cut all holes by hand

I got measurements here They are pretty accurate.

Thanks.

Yeah i ordered laser cut parts and glued 'em together

Cabinet parts their thickness has to be 6 mm. You should drill vent holes then:

17548377181_ab99ca06c1_c.jpg

Front panel consists of 3 parts. Laser cut 1 mm carton as bedding + paper with print + transparent 2mm laser cut plexiglas as cover

Bedding + Cover (don't look at labels, they are wrong)

Back panel (should be 3 mm)

Print I cut all holes by hand

I got measurements here They are pretty accurate.

holy shit, you rule! thanks so much, this is exactly what i've been looking for. i can't believe i missed that on the wiki. :facepalm:

TRiP, I'm thinking of treating myself to a Volca Beats for Christmas, what's your thoughts on it? Did you do the snare mod?

I'd say if you can pick it up cheap on Adverts or somewhere then why not! Sweet analog drum sound for so cheap - sticks out pretty well in songs I find. And fun and quick for coming up with new patterns on the fly. Only issue is the sound level output, tis' pretty low, usually need to adjust everything else lower to compensate.

nope, haven't ventured into the snare mod - might do some day. Sort of stopped using it as much lately - something tripped in it and now it only starts playing sequences when SYNC'd IN, odd.

Oh damn, I have that same relaxing sound machine! Found it at a thrift shop a few years ago for $8, somebody had already added a 1/4" out and everything.

Nice! Yeah, this one has a 1/4" out. I like to make snares and hi hats with it, processed through some of my analogs filters. Good lil noise maker.

Did you add the 1/4" yourself? Maybe they actually shipped with that. I haven't used mine enough, I should try patching it into the Anushri to add a noise source to it.

I also really need to dig out the old Heathkit test tone generator I found years ago and see if I can rehouse the oscillator and add CV control, because it sounds great (just a sine wave but 100% tube).

analog rytm:

Mobile-Images-Analog-Rytm.jpg

+

my own programming interface:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-21%20at%2018.46.

dunno there's probably not a lot of drum machines which have their own programming language =)

1.png

I mostly cut up sounds I find on the web or record myself and then feed them into Battery. I also have a couple drum machines that I haven't used in ages.

korgelectribeesx12.l.jpg

tumblr_m7fprbqnvc1qbmm0uo1_500.jpg

dunno there's probably not a lot of drum machines which have their own programming language =)

What environment is that?

it doesn't even have a name yet :)

but basically I'm trying to write a small programming language designed for step sequencer programming..

so far it can only interface with the rytm...

some quick & dirty test patterns:

http://cl.ly/1a052Y0w3Y2q/arrec_1.mp3

turns out it's rather useful for complex arpeggios, polymetric stuff... well.. basically things that would be super tedious to program into the sequencer by hand.

consider this example polymetric pattern:

http://cl.ly/0E121B3Y0A37/polymeter.mp3

there's 4 kickdrums per 16 steps, and 5 snare drums per 16 steps, evenly spaced.

the snare drum pattern could be programmed by hand using microtiming but it would be a MASSIVE PITA figuring out the exact microtiming values...

with my little language, I can do:

PS SD 1^16'(16/5) 0 100 ALW

this translates to:

"on the SD track, from step 1 to 16 place trigs with an interval of 16/5(=3.2) with note 0 (default note) and velocity 100, and trigger them always (ALW)".

well. the language basically is designed to be expressive with number sequences.

everywhere you see a number, you can use a special expression which can act as an array, and/or a for-range loop, or other kind of sequence...

it's WEIRD. but fun ;D

for example:

in: 6
out: 6

in: 6+2
out: 8

in: 6'2
out: 6,2

in: 6^2
out: 6,5,4,3,2

in: 2^6
out: 2,3,4,5,6

in: 2^6'2
out: 2,4,6

in: 2^6'2#3
out: 2,2,2,4,4,4,6,6,6

in: 2^6'2#3*2
out: 4,4,4,8,8,8,12,12,12

and so on... it's fun for melodies and rhythmic intervals :)

if you have a rytm and wanna give this a spin... PM

but basically I'm trying to write a small programming language designed for step sequencer programming..

turns out it's rather useful for complex arpeggios, polymetric stuff... well.. basically things that would be super tedious to program into the sequencer by hand.

there's 4 kickdrums per 16 steps, and 5 snare drums per 16 steps, evenly spaced.

the snare drum pattern could be programmed by hand using microtiming but it would be a MASSIVE PITA figuring out the exact microtiming values...

this translates to:

"on the SD track, from step 1 to 16 place trigs with an interval of 16/5(=3.2) with note 0 (default note) and velocity 100, and trigger them always (ALW)".

well. the language basically is designed to be expressive with number sequences.

everywhere you see a number, you can use a special expression which can act as an array, and/or a for-range loop, or other kind of sequence...

it's WEIRD. but fun ;D

for example:

I know there are a few hundred old punch cards somewhere in my parents' basement, as soon as I saw this I decided I'm going to get some when I visit for the holidays and build a punch card to MIDI converter this winter. I can't believe I never thought of that before! I' sure someone else has already done it but who cares.

^ yea sounds like you gotta do this, great idea!

.. thanks a bunch for the inspiration :)

the punch-card looks of my app is coincidental... I haven't thought of punchcards while making this.... but now that you mention it, it's rather obvious lol.

1280px-Blue-punch-card-front-horiz.png

some of these look really good

Yeah, I think I"ll get a Highlyliquid MidiCPU (I already have one actually, but I'm using it to build some bass pedals for a friend out of old organ pedals) and wire up a bunch of photocells in the moving part of an old mechanical credit card swipe machine, with the bottom part converted into a little light table so you can lay a punchcard on it and play it by moving the top part (or just scan it in as MIDI data and clean it up in a sequencer). Thanks for the inspiration, yourself!

It would be cool to choose some iconic early software and convert the whole thing into a long, through composed piece. I don't know enough about early computing to know a good one though.

this translates to:

it's WEIRD. but fun ;D

for example:

I've had the thought of how easy it would be to sequence drums if I could send the sequencer a script like that. Makes me want to know programming better :wacko:

yea that's the point...

right now it's just single-line expressions, should be relatively easy to pick up. it's probably more important for the user to have a mental model of what the drum machine can do (steps on a grid...)

but I haven't really showed this around and gotten feedback for it... this is a watmm exclusive right now :)

examples:

BD'SD 1^16'3

// this represents a pattern from step 1 to 16 with even interval of 3
// which alternates on the BD and SD tracks:

SD ...X.....X.....X
BD X.....X.....X...
BD^RS 1^32'4'2

// this represents a pattern from step 1 to 32 with alternating intervals of 4 and 2
// which is spread from BD to RS tracks (BD > SD > RS):

RS .......X.........X.......X......
SD .....X.......X.........X.......X
BD X..........X.......X.........X..
so right now for pattern creation there are basically 2 for-loops which run in parallel.

there's one loop for tracks, and another for steps.

if the TRACK loop reaches its top element (e.g. in a BD^RS loop, the elements are BD'SD'RS'CP, CP is the top element), it wraps around and continues with the lowest element (BD in this case).

if the STEP loop reaches its end, the function reaches its end and no more steps are placed.

this expression:

BD^RS'3'1'-2 1^32'4'2
could be expressed in C like this:

const int minStep = 1;
const int maxStep = 32;
const int minTrack = BD;
const int maxTrack = RS;
int step = minStep;
int track = minTrack;

const int stepIntervals[2] = {4,2};
const int stepIntervalIndexCount = 2;
int stepIntervalIndex = 0;

const int trackIntervals[1] = {3,1,-2};
const int trackIntervalIndexCount = 3;
int trackIntervalIndex = 0;

while(1)
{
  /* insert code to do something with the track and step variables here */

step += stepIntervals[stepIntervalIndex++];
  if(stepIntervalIndex == stepIntervalIndexCount)
    stepIntervalIndex = 0;

track += trackIntervals[trackIntervalIndex++];
  if(trackIntervalIndex == trackIntervalIndexCount)
    trackIntervalIndex = 0;

while(track > maxTrack) track -= maxTrack - minTrack;
  if(step > maxStep)
    break;
}

it's quite specialized and terse for certain things....

analog rytm:

+

Very cool indeed sir!

thanks! :)

showed this to a small group of sound people last night, most of which were supercollider users, feedback was very good.

will open a dedicated thread for this once there is more to see...

have been working on incorporating more step parameters, it can fully program retrigs now which is better than I thought it would be...

this was also the feature the supercollider people liked the most..

'twas interesting to demo this according to requests by persons who aren't familiar with the drum machine..

someone asked: how fast can it go, then we made a 600bpm granular-sounding random pattern with the retrig stuff....

good times

Archived