IGNORED

The "Life" Thread

LimpyLoo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a serious post, Limp.

Every school of thought regarding the meaning of life can be broken down into two categories:

1. Life is about experience.

2. Life is about an ideal.

One could argue that these two are essentially one: a single inescapable truth.

The argument would go as such:

If life is about an ideal, why is it about that ideal? Is the ideal intrinsically worth realizing independent of human suffering or joy? Or, is the experience or hope in the future experience of the ideal what creates value. Essentially, that an ideal is only worth the life that benefits from it? Or, if life is about experience, isn’t each person’s definition of that experience also an ideal?

Lets face it. No matter what your views on life are, they form an ideal. Experience is an ideal. Even the disbelief in an ideal is an ideal. No matter what you say, you have an ideal. And if you’re honest, you believe everyone else should have that ideal too, which is why you believe it.

Even if you are an apathetic nihilist, if you see a person excited about life when you believe there is no reason to be, you think that person is a fool. You think there is no reason they should have hope.

If you are about universal acceptance, you believe everyone should accept everyone’s ideal, which is a grand ideal, one that essentially nullifies any ideal that by its nature is in conflict with another. Thinking “it is not one’s place to judge what is best for another” is fundamentally judging what is best for another.

No matter what you do, you proselytize. You cannot stop. To disagree with me is to proselytize. If you say nothing to anyone, challenge nothing, your acts speak for you.

You are an evangelist. You must find the true ideal and prove it to others through means according to said ideal. The only other choice is death for others and/or for yourself, which still evangelizes through example.

You are an evangelist. You can’t escape it.

Thinking “it is not one’s place to judge what is best for another” is fundamentally judging what is best for another.

Doesn't that depend on the context? Any such simple word-equations don't account for what their implications would be in a given context. Such basic formulations of ideals surely mean (and cause) completely different things in different situations.

For example, what is genuine pacifism in one situation, might be considered collusion and acquiescence in another (just to illustrate the point, don't wanna start a discussion about pacifism)

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

On a forum devoted to music I expected to find people of a sensitive, open minded persuasion. Those of an artistic bent. People whom, in my opinion, are more likely to suffer with depression - partly as a result of trying to fit in a society which only values those of a money grubbing, materialistic nature. There are plenty of decent folk here, don't get me wrong, but too often I see a core of irreverent, egotists who use their intellects to put down others. Do they really have a passion for music, or are they just using an idm forum as an outlet for their elitist pretentions?

Good luck with your struggle limpy. Try to surround yourself with like minded folk and don't try to change who you are.

Good post. I can barely stomach this place any more

thinking that you are depressed is a great way to continue to be depressed

alternatively, failure to accept a genuine depression might prevent you dealing with it at all. thinking that you're depressed and not doing probably won't help much, but you can't solve a problem unless you admit to it's existence in the first place.

Archived