IGNORED

John Frusciante - Renoise Tracks (& other free stuff)

purlieu

John F has uploaded a bunch of unreleased stuff to Bandcamp, all for free / nyop download. The 'Renoise Tracks 2009-2011' collection has some pretty good stuff on it, mixture of breaksy IDM and his usual melancholy melodies.

4-Track Guitar Music is a bunch of lo-fi instrumentals recorded to 4-track (obviously), some nice beatwork on them, almost like his '90s stuff with a 707.

Medre is pretty crazy acid stuff plus guitar.

Sect in Sgt is an utterly nuts 21 minute soundscape, everything from super-fast drill breaks to acid rock samples, not sure I've ever heard anything quite like it.

I'm hoping eventually he'll be accepted as a proper IDM musician rather than "that rock guy who does electronic stuff now". Some of this is amazing.

https://jfdirectlyfromjf.bandcamp.com

Sweet, always up for more Frusciante. He really was the best part of RHCP, the chemistry he had with Flea was great. Haven't bothered listening to any RHCP since he left, and probably won't.

it... sounds like random rock noises with some carbon copy of vsnares/ snares pooped out some demo tapes during speed dealers moms sessions and sampled from that? I know amen break but singular scope 85 definitely is the exact same processed amen from dear poet/simpleton

sry i just hate when rock music people try to appropriate electronic music stuff... go back to appropriating black people

no but seriously I'm pretty sure you could do a double blind pepsi taste test with one track by a rock musician trying to do srs electronic music and one by a 90's warp musician and there is a discernable difference... the rock one tastes like triscuits while the warp one is like mangosteens made of god

The fact it sounds different to the usual "lets sound like 90s warp" is what makes this interesting to me.

Fair enough if you dont like it but kinda get the impression you might have made your mind up about this before even giving it a proper listen

*has strong opinion on something*

*awaits angry mob*

hehe, thanks for doing the heavy lifting. But the kids like what they like, maybe the association with vsnares has something to do with it.

Archived