I made a starting list but there's more

Panacea - Low Profile Darkness
Great album with lots of nice compositions. Very dark but tense and catchy even
Xela - The Dead Sea / Heirs of the Fire / all post-frost morning releases
Awesome lofi distorted sound, great atmospheres and expertly composed
Simon Fisher Turner - The Epic of Everest
Really beautiful ambient but very well composed
John Van Tongeren - The Outer Limits (1995) score+
All the background music in this series is actually very advanced I'd say.
He managed to load a lot of emotion and innovative orchestration and compositions in there I feel
Ramadanman / Pearson Sound
Not much explanation from me, he just has his own way of composing, his sounds are interesting too
Elegi - Sistereis
Good album on Miasmah, always felt drawn to this.
Oberman Knocks - Beatcroff Slabs
Really great sounds, but the tense compositions are what does it for me. Very atmospheric and good tones
Photodementia - Fig 04 (the 7 track EP)
Most of you know this I guess but it has to be on there
Proem - You Shall Have Ever been and Before Ii Finds You (dark ambient albums)
Lush albums, really nice stuff that wasn't paid as much attention to as his earlier work
The Hafler Trio - An Utterance Of The Supreme Ventriloquist
Really nice atmosphere and sounds and build

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'O'Rang - Fields and Waves

Lesser known post-Talk Talk project that sounds like a cross between LSD jam music and live breakbeat techno. I talk about it a lot but it really is one of my favourite albums

predicting this thread will turn into a crappload of "ppffft they're not obscure, plebs" style posts

first band that comes to mind for me are codeine, and the band "fuck" who were probably doomed to obscurity due to their name alone.

Yeah, I was thinking about this album called Spyro. By Alex Twaring, or somesuch. Not enough recognition, methinks. Didn't even win a mercury recently. The horror.

bwu

Clatterbox - like old plaid

Oh man, forgot about them/him/her!

There was also Plod, who did a neat album in a style that reminded me of some Plaid

This reminded me of what is probably a very little known album from 2001 by an Irish guy who released as Karl Him, only ever did one album as far as I know, Electronic Lament it was called. A fairly maudlin ambient affair, with a smattering of acoustic bits thrown in. It's really beautiful though, one of my favourite albums. Probably fairly hard to find, I lost my cd years ago, still have the rip of it thankfully.

Wow, that's really kind of you to say! Thanks man.

It's ridiculous that I still haven't sent you those stems.... It's going on my calendar now. December 4 is "prepare stems for modey". I think I just lost steam for that project for a while, but I'm getting back into it.

haha, no problem. I don't think my remix will be quite as ambitious anymore, perhaps I'll try to deconstruct it in my new project 0F.digital..

.. or re-version it as a ridiculous trance song, heh

It's ridiculous that I still haven't sent you those stems.... It's going on my calendar now. December 4 is "prepare stems for modey". I think I just lost steam for that project for a while, but I'm getting back into it.

I want to hear more Zephyr tracks.... Help =(

Elegi - Sistereis

Good album on Miasmah, always felt drawn to this.

Hell yeah, this and Varde are fantastic, unique albums. I wish he'd hurry the fuck up and put out the final piece in the trilogy, as he's pulling a Murcof at the minute.

Archive - Londinium. Never got much into trip-hop but I absolutely love this album.

Me :(

And Numb.

And Beefcake.

I love beefcake. I'm not as familiar with Numb. But dude, I checked out Shivering Towers and it's nuts. It's like a weird horror world, yet very beautiful, hit me right in the stomach somehow, very direct. also great variety throughout the album

I'd say a "beautiful horror world" pretty much sums up the vibe I get off it as well when I listen back. I'm thrilled that it connected with you in much the same way. Thanks for downloading! :beer:

I want to hear more Zephyr tracks.... Help =(

You bet! Here's an album that was released in March 2011, on evive records (looks like they've been inactive more or less since then)

There should be a blue "download" rectangle in the upper right corner of the page --click that and select the "download as zip" option for convenience:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h1re9lypl040t93/AADSGB3m7pNOkwoCP_ynKMjfa?dl=0

It's also still available on bleep, which surely adds to my IDM cred. But I haven't seen a penny from those sales, so fuck it.

I've got a new album on the way, will probably see a January release on bandcamp. Goiter Sanchez is once again doing the album art (he did both Shatterscapes and Shivering Towers, as well as the watmm Boss Battles comp artwork).

Bourbonese Qualk - Used to be able to download all their albums from their website but it has since gone down. Good luck finding anything!

Each of their albums was its own universe.

[youtubehd]X4-qFT9LIoM[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]qW-3tOX26Fw[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]SsmAW8mBHQk[/youtubehd]

Also Dykehouse's Dynamic Obsolescence is amazing

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci were a local band who put out some very quirky psych-rock-pop for a while b4 morphing into side projects. Welsh music has lots of psychedelic elements and they got to the feeling of home that only a few like Gruff Rhys, John Cale, Julian Cope, Steve Strange & Thighpaulsandra hit as richly

Its cheating a bit to say listen to everything, but if you like to absorb and hunt down good records Gorky's were superb & are missed, there was nobody quite like them and i cant stand the Manic St Preachers

Not too much Krautrock pops up on here so Holger Czukay should get a shout. From Can, to his solo work to Jah Wobble to tons of others, Conny Plank too (sp?) but the latter was like a German Martin Hannett, but with much freakier hair.

And the deepest House music? My favourite old suit, so comfy... Larry Heard's "Alien" is a window into something very special. If you make music you'll instantly clock how effortlessly simple these tracks are but......fuck it i'mma gonna put it on now

Severed Heads - Oz meets Devo meets wtf......what a band, strange & glorious.

Richard H Kirk only pops up here from time to time, but i'm a total geek completist with his catalog just cos i does loves it aye. And CV. When they were at their peak and Factory was firing out from across the way, LFO , Guy Called Gerald, true northern legends......but Voodoo Ray is over played. I love it like a long term partner, but i dont seek it out very often. Only v sepcial occasions. Kirk is another matter entirely. Paranoid, dark, groovy, lopsided, festering machine madness.

Temple Records, Psychic TV's label, put out a lot of good music thats worth tracking down. Early acid house, but they had that Fred whatshisface album thats waaaaaay out there

Finally, Bongwater's "Power of Pussy" is a late night unashamedly kinky trip fest and heres the cover just for the o rly

Bongwater+The+Power+Of+Pussy+556614.jpg

^ great suggestions!

Another suggestion: Yello - Solid Pleasure. I picked it up randomly in a store because of the mini-review the owner wrote on the ident sticker—his reviews are always spot-on—and I was pretty impressed. It's such a crazy genre-mash album, with krauty synth jams, Devo-style post-punk, twangy guitar, dark ambience and a bunch of other stuff. Pretty IDM. Yello doesn't get enough credit around here!

Archived