IGNORED

Beyerdynamic DT 990 vs. Ultrasone HFI-580

koolkeyZ865

I'm almost about to pull the trigger on the DT 990 600 OHM with a Schiit stack but this Ultrasone threw a wrench in there. I hear that the HFI-850 has a decent soundstage comparable to some open back cans and "sorround sound", not sure if it's good or not. Has anyone listened to both? I like bright highs, crisp mids and deep and sharp bass and the DT 990 seems to fit that. How does the HFI-580 compare?

Or should I get something else? My budget is max $300 but i'm aiming for $250.

AKG K702 (or one of its variations) might be exactly what you're looking for.

I've been looking into the K702 and i'm wondering if a Schiit stack will help the bass response. I'm looking at a Vali+Modi

As long as you have a good amp you should be good (driving them with my SPL Crimson here, lovely combo).

The low freqs are a tad shy compared to most other headphones, but very precise. Reversible mods also exist to extend the bass response. And you can change the pads (the ones from the K702 Anni editions are made of memory foam, and basically turns K702 into Q702, IIRC).

As long as you have a good amp you should be good (driving them with my SPL Crimson here, lovely combo).

The low freqs are a tad shy compared to most other headphones, but very precise. Reversible mods also exist to extend the bass response. And you can change the pads (the ones from the K702 Anni editions are made of memory foam, and basically turns K702 into Q702, IIRC).

I'm warming up to the K 702s but the only thing that's holding me back are some of Z Reviews' sound tests.

For example, the K7XXs sound so lifeless in comparison to the DT 990s

[youtubehd]Gm43zUvNsMQ[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]RM7MI31ih6Q[/youtubehd]

That may be just because it's being recorded through a mic and the DT 990s are really damn loud but I'm not totally certain.

Isn't there a show near you in which you can demo both with your own reference material? You can also sort out a demo pair of both with most (online) shops.

Isn't there a show near you in which you can demo both with your own reference material? You can also sort out a demo pair of both with most (online) shops.

Yup, they only demo the DT 990s. Oh well, that's alright, i'll see if I can get some requests in.

Update:

I demoed both the K702s and DT 990 and they sound like polar opposites. I find that the DT 990 is more alive and colorful because of the emphasis on the high and low ends, but because of the flat sound of the AKGs they would be wayyy better when it comes to mixing or production. I think i'll save up and get the DT 990 for listening and the K702 for production.

I'm now stuck in a rut. I listened to Z Reviews' sound test of the HiFiman HE-400i and the Beyer and the clarity of the HE-400i is incredible and the sound separation is a lot better. Is the soundstage on the 400i better as well? I'd guess so since the cans are more open.

However, if I end up with the HiFimans then I will be forced to downgrade my amp/dac to the HiFiman EF2As from the Schiit Vali+Modi. Is it worth it to get the 400i?

Can't really comment on the Ultrasone or the 990. i had the beyerdynamic dt 880's and i hated the small diameter of the earpad, i could only wear them for 30 minutes max before the edges of my ears started to hurt. also, the headclamp mechanism is annoying since it is basically spring steel that needs to be bent to the user's head size. I gave them away. been using the excellent price/performance ratio superlux akg knockoffs for over a year and they have been fine, except for some harsh highs. a couple days ago I decided to be an AFX groupie and order the sony 7510's, waiting for them to arrive. there really is no way to get the bass right with headphones though, I found that only massive speakers or at least a sub can do that. Next set I buy will be AKG more than likely, can't really go too wrong with that.

ug. i didn't like the 7510's. too tight, too physically hot, too small round the ears, sound stage a bit flat. but they seem to make everything sound warm and wooly sounding.

headphone shopping is really the worst part of life. thinking I should just get a subwoofer to go with the phones i already have. (i won't buy a rumble pack, too expensive.)

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I demoed both the K702s and DT 990 and they sound like polar opposites. I find that the DT 990 is more alive and colorful because of the emphasis on the high and low ends, but because of the flat sound of the AKGs they would be wayyy better when it comes to mixing or production. I think i'll save up and get the DT 990 for listening and the K702 for production.

the k702 lacks bass.

in that price range, you must demo the sen's hd 650/600

I see you went with the hifiman. good choice. You should still try to demo hd-650. I had the he400 and prefered the hd-650 but the he-400i I never tried

Archived