IGNORED

Detuning the synth bus=Awesomeness

fxbip

i think most pitch shifters are using like a delay buffer where the sound is basically chopped into slices lengthwise with whats in each slice being sped up or slowed down to get the pitch adjustment. so with those you probably have access to parameters like the length of the slices, and maybe length of crossfading between each adjacent slice, besides the pitch controls. and maybe a feedback. but anyway the slice length setting is going to sound best (for pure pitch adjusting) at different positions for different notes (going in), especially bass notes. on the other hand you can abuse it to emphasize artifacts which might sound cool. i like to use them this way, thinking of them as buffery pitch effects, to get more than just a pitch change but also some weirdness (my fav (for no particular reason) is an old pitch shift vst by braindoc).

so whether you're liking some byproduct of that or the actual pitch change effect itself is the question here. because you're getting a different result than you'd get by actually detuning the synths directly, as has been said.

i think most pitch shifters are using like a delay buffer where the sound is basically chopped into slices lengthwise with whats in each slice being sped up or slowed down to get the pitch adjustment. so with those you probably have access to parameters like the length of the slices, and maybe length of crossfading between each adjacent slice, besides the pitch controls.

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_spectrum_shift.html

nah prob wat id do is subtle shifts, with feedback, to mutate drums (and other stuff) a bit. freq shifter would prob not be too useful for pitched/melodic sounds (it messes with the relation of the harmonics in whatever your shifting, turns them inharmonic) so its not something youd use all the time, which is why itd be stupid to spend the insane cash on (an analog hardware) one. unless you had plenty of cash to blow and already had the basics covered, i guess. its more of a special effect type thing like a ring mod

nah prob wat id do is subtle shifts, with feedback, to mutate drums (and other stuff) a bit. freq shifter would prob not be too useful for pitched/melodic sounds (it messes with the relation of the harmonics in whatever your shifting, turns them inharmonic) so its not something youd use all the time, which is why itd be stupid to spend the insane cash on (an analog hardware) one. unless you had plenty of cash to blow and already had the basics covered, i guess. its more of a special effect type thing like a ring mod

Is there even one available? Analogue frequency changes without changing speed or waveforms sounds pretty difficult, if not impossible (conservation of information)

for some reason its hard to find too much info on this with a quick glance at a google search but they had em at least going back to the 60s if not earlier. they were even used in anti feedback solutions (somehow you shift the freqs up which allows you to filter out the feedback then shift it back down, or something). anyway a guy named harald bode made pretty well known freq shifters (and ring mods). i have no idea how it works or is possible. just interested in using them

digital ones are cool too tho

and frequency basically is speed/rate so if freq changes so does the rate of the waveform, which also means so does the waveform. its all changing

i think that kind of frequency shifter is more related to vocoder/ring mod type of stuff, it apparently does different thing to the spectrum than digital, harmonics get offset by a fixed amount which means the ratio actually gets messed up. Still pretty neat though.

I really want to hear an example though, of what OP is referring to.

Also, I found a patent for the frequency shifter. Pretty funny to read http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4399326.PN.&OS=PN/4399326&RS=PN/4399326

for some reason its hard to find too much info on this with a quick glance at a google search but they had em at least going back to the 60s if not earlier. they were even used in anti feedback solutions (somehow you shift the freqs up which allows you to filter out the feedback then shift it back down, or something). anyway a guy named harald bode made pretty well known freq shifters (and ring mods). i have no idea how it works or is possible. just interested in using them

digital ones are cool too tho

and frequency basically is speed/rate so if freq changes so does the rate of the waveform, which also means so does the waveform. its all changing

thx for the links, reads like black audio magic. although the concept used in the 60s (Beat-Oscillators) is quite cool, using techniques developed for morsing for wonky synth sounds

I really want to hear an example though, of what OP is referring to.

Also, I found a patent for the frequency shifter. Pretty funny to read http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4399326.PN.&OS=PN/4399326&RS=PN/4399326

OP posted some sampled onto soundcloud, didn't he?

Also reading the circuit description in text form really messes with my head, although it seems like the patent is more for a replacement for flangers/Comb-Filters

i think that kind of frequency shifter is more related to vocoder/ring mod type of stuff, it apparently does different thing to the spectrum than digital, harmonics get offset by a fixed amount which means the ratio actually gets messed up. Still pretty neat though.

yeah thats what it does but that's what all frequency shifters do. theyre called pitch shifters if they maintain the harmonic ratio. frequency shifters dont.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe its all in my head and stuff....but its seems it really gives a tussy feels to softsynths.I forgot to mention that i dont do it on tracks already composed,i do it on completly new tracks and compose the track with the pitcher.

I have render one of my track without the pitchshift,i dont have it with me right now but im gonna upload it this week here so you guys can see what im talking about.

I recently discovered pitch automation which helps me to achieve some goals. I like to watch it wobble as it does its thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAMHT60Iaxc&feature=youtu.be

xxx i want that song. i love love love love those chords! doooo de doooo. doo doo doo dooooooo, dee doooo :w00t:

doesnt that pitch knob in flstudio cover a pretty wide range tho, where having it move around that much would be wobbling across several semitones? ive been doing that for ages but i've always had to come up with a formula when linking an lfo to that control, to narrow the range. doesnt sound like its going through several semitones here, howd they do that? can you somehow change a setting so the knob doesn't cover as wide a range?

I recently discovered pitch automation which helps me to achieve some goals. I like to watch it wobble as it does its thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAMHT60Iaxc&feature=youtu.be

xxx i want that song. i love love love love those chords! doooo de doooo. doo doo doo dooooooo, dee doooo :w00t:

xxx? at first i was joking but i've came to this thread to listen to that video many times over already on different days.. i would really love to hear the full thing. lol

is it on your soundcloud?

OH FUCK I JSUT FOUND IT

the melody makes me smile

• 2 weeks later...

Alright here are some examples i finally rendered(click on the link to listen on soundcloud for the WITHOUT pitchshift tracks they are private link,for some reason doesnt seem to embed)

This is WITH pitch shift:

https://soundcloud.com/fxbip/metaplus-4m2

And this WITHOUT pitch shift:(click on listen on soundcloud,private link!)

https://soundcloud.com/fxbip/metaplus-4-nopitchshift-m2/s-p7V3k

Another example

WITH

https://soundcloud.com/fxbip/trokoloom-3

WITHOUT(click on listen on soundcloud,private link!)

https://soundcloud.com/fxbip/trokoloom-3-nopitchshift-m/s-TcxPb

It seems it DOES something to the sound,to me anyway....Idk.

Archived