IGNORED

KORG Minilogue

perunamuusi

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, shame about the garish interface (and silly name).

Edit:

It's a workstation.

6wt2Q5r.png

FqvkvC5.jpg

:(

Guest Chesney

Yeah it's a thing (unfortunately) for people who pride themselves on trying to create their own individual sound. It is a silly and totally selfish notion though but it can't be helped. The way I deal with the unreasonable hangup is not to buy these things. It's a totally personal thing, the listener is not going to know what synth is being used anyway, only the likeminded geeks will be able to pick out the timbral differences so you might as well buy the cheapest synth rather than having an arsenal of slightly different characteristic synths. As long as the maker is happy with what they produce then it should not matter to others if they have some snooty notion of how they go about it.

Yeah it's a thing (unfortunately) for people who pride themselves on trying to create their own individual sound. It is a silly and totally selfish notion though but it can't be helped. The way I deal with the unreasonable hangup is not to buy these things.

I dunno, like others have said, it's just an instrument.. try to think about how math/experimental bands kinda reinvented guitar playing and tones.. the same could be applied to using a synth—any chump could use a synth's presets and rely on them to make a track, but it takes real creativity to exploit certain tonal characteristics of it and create an original sound, even using only presets.

I just think it seems a bit insecure to think that popularity will ruin a synth.. kinda like, you're relying on it being your own little secret, and if anyone discovers it you're screwed, or something?

Yeah it's a thing (unfortunately) for people who pride themselves on trying to create their own individual sound. It is a silly and totally selfish notion though but it can't be helped. The way I deal with the unreasonable hangup is not to buy these things. It's a totally personal thing, the listener is not going to know what synth is being used anyway, only the likeminded geeks will be able to pick out the timbral differences so you might as well buy the cheapest synth rather than having an arsenal of slightly different characteristic synths. As long as the maker is happy with what they produce then it should not matter to others if they have some snooty notion of how they go about it.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to craft music that is distinctly your own. Trying to ignore the past is of course useless, but actively pushing yourself to find new things is a viable path of creativity; it's certainly not necessary nor even 'better' but for you to call it silly and selfish is ridiculous.

Also I love how you think 'listener' and 'likeminded geek' are two mutually exclusive things. Especially in electronic music, they are often one and the same (as to if that's bad or good is another discussion though...).

sent from a tippytappy flatpad

Guest Chesney

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was totally including myself with that crowd, i was agreeing with your point earlier and stating that I feel the same and yes it is a bit silly to feel that way and a bit selfish but I can't help feeling it even though it's a little embarrassing. Other people handle it fine and come up with totally reasonable arguments against it. I think the point I was making is… Everyone has their hangups and ways and reasons for doing it the way we do, none are wrong or right. It's pointless arguing over the best way to do something as we all want different end results.

What makes me happy is knowing that I worked hard to get the sounds I use and I totally understand that no one other than me actually cares. No one can tell me that my ideas are futile or unreasonable other than me, and I do, but I don't care.

This synth is amazing but if it has any individual or unique features that set it's sound apart from all the other synths then it will get exploited in the music we hear so I have no use for it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was totally including myself with that crowd, i was agreeing with your point earlier and stating that I feel the same and yes it is a bit silly to feel that way and a bit selfish but I can't help feeling it even though it's a little embarrassing. Other people handle it fine and come up with totally reasonable arguments against it. I think the point I was making is… Everyone has their hangups and ways and reasons for doing it the way we do, none are wrong or right. It's pointless arguing over the best way to do something as we all want different end results.

What makes me happy is knowing that I worked hard to get the sounds I use and I totally understand that no one other than me actually cares. No one can tell me that my ideas are futile or unreasonable other than me, and I do, but I don't care.

This synth is amazing but if it has any individual or unique features that set it's sound apart from all the other synths then it will get exploited in the music we hear so I have no use for it.

Okay, I see where it was a touch of a misunderstanding. I agree with your points. It does look and sound like a great synth, but for the music I make I don't see it as a must-have purchase. Maybe a year from now when kids are selling them on Craigslist for rent money I'll pick one up for cheap. :)

sent from a tippytappy flatpad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the monotribe has clicking too... at some settings its almost unuseable...

i still use it all the time - the pro's outweigh the cons by miles, i guess the minilogue will be the same

...seems pretty amazing

#sowetforkorgrightnow.jpg

Guest bitroast

not that im exactly thinking about buying a montage, for the million dollar reason that modey mentioned ... but i am curious about how its insides work.

can you build similar patches using the editor or did devine has access to an editor on account of writing patches for the thing ??

got mad screwed with this thing. ordered from a local retailer when they had them listed as "in stock" on amazon (a friend did the same and got his a few days later) at the end of jan. several hours later got an email saying the payment declined (security hold on my cc for no apparent reason). so i talked w/amazon tech, reran the card was assured my order was "in shipping phase" even though it and every other retailer was listed as being out of stock now. emailed the seller, they told me amazon was wrong and they had sold through their stock, but would replenish on 2/1 and ship soon after. 2/1 comes and goes, call back and they say they didn't have enough stock to fill back orders from the 2/1 stock and that now the next batch won't be 'round until 3/15 :catrage:

looks like most us resellers are holding onto that date too

wonder if the next batch will have the same clicking issues tho?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty set on selling my Maschine MK2 that I've never gotten into and getting one of these... Seems like a great choice for a low budget first hardware synth? Any of you guys pick one of these up?

my gf has one, but she's super protective around it and won't let me touch it for more than 10 minutes cause it's her first synth and she doesn't want me to do all the stuff but figure it out on her own, so yeah, haven't had much time with it...

but

I'd say it's "nice".

but not much more than that.

the voice modes are good,

the filter is... it works I guess, but it's probably the boringest filter of any of the new analogs..

to me it feels like it's designed to make a range of "standard" patches, not so much deep sound design..

If you want analog poly pads, sure, this ain't bad.

personally I would maybe get a microbrute + mini doepfer case + some DIY/kit modules + delay pedal instead of the minilogue.

^sounds pretty cumbersome (and more expensive). i'm hoping they'll be in stock by the end of the month so i can finally get one. the one i ordered through amazon got cancelled because it took so long to fulfill ;\

does anyone know of a store anywhere in the US that has these in stock? Everywhere I look seems to have them on backorder.

In NY I've seen them for sale / on hand at Sam Ash on 34th and Main Drag in Wburg.

Archived