IGNORED

MPC 1000 wanted!!

Lucas

Hi,

I'll be very rich for the next two or three months so it's definitely the time to replace that anger-attack inducing MPC 500 with his big brother the MPC 1000. I need it as MIDI Sequencer for my hardware setup with which I want to do more live. I thought maybe I could find one here!

Regarding prices: I find them here in Germany way too high for second hand (lots of ads claim 600 euros for it, those guys can sell them without my help!). If I buy one in France I can probably get it for between 350 (if lucky) and 450, which I'll probably do if nothing else shows up.

But I like the idea of dealing with you guys. We could even make a share to some extent (I have a midified Monotribe here and also a M-Audio Axiom 61 of the first generation, nothing which worth a MPC 1000 but we could make a deal).

Oh and regarding my expectations: it just has to be in an acceptable shape, of course work flawlessly and possibly (doesn't have to) have a version of JJOS installed.

No more, no less!

anyone interested?

Love,

Antape

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't precise but I'm mostly looking for a black one because of the pads. But I read yesterday that the colour isn't indicative of which pads are installed really because those machines are old enough now to be potentially (or say "likely") modded (and if I remember well I also read that the black didn't necessarily had the better pads?). I'm also looking for a black one because I don't find the blue ones very sexy but if I find a good deal for a blue one it might not matter.

Also, I saw a couple of ads for those better pads (the ones which are attached together) and you can find them easily for max 30€ second hand. and I thought I might don't care too much in the first place because at the beginning I'll be using the MPC strictly as a MIDI sequencer so the only thing I'll need to do with the pads will be track mutes. When my set will be more developed I'll start sampling some of the gear I don't want to carry for playing live, and only after that I imagine starting using the MPC sampler / groovebox capabilities for developing new tracks (but I have the Electribe SX1 for that and I'm still happy about it. my plan is to actually replace it with an Elektron machine in the future, probably the Rythm one).

yeah figured that out yesterday after I wrote the post... the pads upgrade is way more expensive than I thought.

and regarding the blue/black thing, as far as I found on internet the only difference is the pads right?

oh man this purchase is showing up way more complicated than I thought it would be, feel quite impatient right now

finally got a black one with JJOS1 and the RAM upgrade for 565€. thought i would found a cheaper one but that was still a good deal for Germany.

I'm sticking to it since yesterday, compared to the MPC500 it's day and night! everything goes faster and it's so much more practical... did some of you guys know both JJOS1 and 2XL? I'll probably try the demo of JJOS2XL in the next days. I heard a lot that "the learning curve of JJOS2XL is pretty steep" but I already feel very comfortable with JJOS1 (although I still don't know every aspect of it as I just use it as a MIDI sequencer so far). Can someone say if I might feel a bit lost if I switch to 2XL now? Not sure I wait that I've transferred/adapted all of my live set on the MPC1000 before I go for 2XL (maybe it would actually make more sense to switch from the beginning on but I'm afraid it's feels complex: right now it's very refreshing to work with my tracks on JJOS1)

Good to see you went black

Haven't tried OS1 myself, i went straight from free JJOS to OS2XL. It's deep, I probably don't even know 10% of the stuff it can do. But the deep features don't clutter up all the other stuff. It's still very user friendly for recording and all ur basic stuff.

You can make instruments on 2XL which is neat. More modulation capabilities too with LFO's n shit

If you're planning to use the MPC long term i'd advise the upgrade. Otherwise you'll just find yourself wanting these features later on anyway, and i think the interface is a bit different to OS1

OS1 had some cool stuff but the benefits of 2XL far outweighed them. There a nice bandpass filter in it (which was used on "90101-5l-l" from Quaristice) and I think there was a nifty layering option, as well as the ability to draw in automation for either the filter or CC, can't remember which.

• 2 years later...

I have an MPC 1000 which has the free JJOS, which I'll get around to upgrading who knows when. What's wrong with the pads on the blue ones? (Didn't know this before I bought mine)

The stock pads on the black ones are shit as well. If it's an MPC1K, you should budget in a pad upgrade eventually. 

For an MPC1K to be used live, here are the suggested upgrades:

1. JJOS (2XL for small-screen, and if you want to use this MPC for live usage, don't do the screen upgrade)

2. RAM max-out (even if you are thinking you'll just be using the MPC to trigger external devices, ya never know)

3. Pad upgrade (MPCStuff, will likely need the full kit, not just the pads themselves)

4. Buy an extra set of buttons. They break easily and are easy to replace as well. It's nice to have these on-hand. 

Don't do the hard drive upgrade if you plan on using the MPC in a live environment (too much movement to trust it, same with the large screen upgrade). 

Archived