IGNORED

Converse Sample Library

b born droid

Just discovered this. Anyone else use it? I notice that they have sounds made form lots of different musicians (already seen some Com Truise and Machinedrum samples) which is quite nice, and a pretty decent variation.

But I'm most interested in the fact they seem to have what they call a "cloud-connected Sampler plugin" for Ableton.

ableton-plugin.png

Our cloud-connected Max For Live plug-in connects seamlessly with the sample library and automatically brings your Favorites and Kits into Ableton Live without the need for manually downloading.

Once you’ve tweaked your samples with our full range of sampler effects, you can sync your Kits back to the library and your derivative samples will be available for use by you and your collaborators.

yea well.. they're fucking everywhere and it sucks.

I don't like their hip website with hip artist features, and I don't like that they stick their fingers everywhere especially when it comes to culture. So many events in Berlin are Ableton circlejerkery

ok I'm outa here

yea well.. they're fucking everywhere and it sucks.

I don't like their hip website with hip artist features, and I don't like that they stick their fingers everywhere especially when it comes to culture. So many events in Berlin are Ableton circlejerkery

ok I'm outa here

I kinda agree, albeit a little less passionately. Why can't we have max4renoise?!

I also felt a similar way a few years back (again, rather less manically !) but then I learnt that it is indeed everywhere in the electronic music scene culture because it's just so fucking good at what it does ! Took the punt a few years back and bought the full suite and have never looked back....

modey - You kinda sorta can with max's rewire object: https://docs.cycling74.com/max5/vignettes/core/rewire.html

ok, I'm not as passionate about it as it reads.

Sure, it's a powerful DAW that's easy to use and it's a bit less oldschool than most others.

But it sure is responsible for a lot of people releasing bland 4/4 music :)

I think it's that combination of the app being mostly make-tracks-in-easy-mode oriented & their mucking about with culture that smells a bit yucky.

Personally I don't use a DAW at all, and I don't make tracks and upload them to soundcloud - more interested in making software tbqh.

ok, I'm not as passionate about it as it reads.

Sure, it's a powerful DAW that's easy to use and it's a bit less oldschool than most others.

But it sure is responsible for a lot of people releasing bland 4/4 music :)

I think it's that combination of the app being mostly make-tracks-in-easy-mode oriented & their mucking about with culture that smells a bit yucky.

I'm not sure I have any idea what you're talking about sir (I'm not sure you know what you're talking about!)

Yeah, fuck Ableton, who just developed and released Link which they give away the APIs to devs to allow any music app to sync up over WiFi with any other Link-anbled apps or devices. How dare they develop and give away a great modern tool for musicians who may never even touch their product. Fucking with our culture, man. What the shit is that.

sent using magic space waves

Yeah, fuck Ableton, who just developed and released Link which they give away the APIs to devs to allow any music app to sync up over WiFi with any other Link-anbled apps or devices. How dare they develop and give away a great modern tool for musicians who may never even touch their product. Fucking with our culture, man. What the shit is that.

Link is proprietary - you'll need a Live 9 license to even apply to use their SDK, and then it comes as a precompiled library you have no control over. no thanks :)

yeah people that criticise ableton usually have nothing to say aside from 'i just don't like it because i'm already used to another daw'

seriously find something that ableton isn't good at...i'm genuinely curious.

We've had this discussion before, haha. It's just not for me. I prefer the precision of a tracker.. I've never seen anything similar to having discrete values in an effect/volume column alongside notes; at best it's an automation lane which I find fiddly.

For me, nothing beats the tracker method of smashing out notes and effect parameters on the keyboard.

Plus, ableton is like 10 times the price of renoise :P

We've had this discussion before, haha. It's just not for me. I prefer the precision of a tracker.. I've never seen anything similar to having discrete values in an effect/volume column alongside notes; at best it's an automation lane which I find fiddly.

Though that too back in the day (you might remember I'm also from a tracker background), but then I found Ableton m4l step sequencers -

PolySeq3_cover2.png

Yeah but what the hell does that, or anything else, have to do with this 'culture' they copping as you seem to think? I'm honestly curious.

you brought up Link ;D

I haven't used it, but I know that this sync mechanism is beat/bar oriented. you can bet that 99.9% of apps will do only lazy 4/4 things with it.

the culture thing is maybe more a local phenomenon and not visible to you - there are certain events here which are awkwardly centered around Ableton - lets say their branding department knows what they're doing.

:shrug: I guess I just prefer the way things look in a tracker. That step sequencer looks good but I mostly use renoise for prog stuff that isn't based on short patterns (I use hardware for loopy stuff like that). I could see Ableton working for me if I used it in my hardware setup, but I just can't imagine writing prog with it!

Yeah but what the hell does that, or anything else, have to do with this 'culture' they copping as you seem to think? I'm honestly curious.

you brought up Link ;D

I haven't used it, but I know that this sync mechanism is beat/bar oriented. you can bet that 99.9% of apps will do only lazy 4/4 things with it.

the culture thing is maybe more a local phenomenon and not visible to you - there are certain events here which are awkwardly centered around Ableton - lets say their branding department knows what they're doing.

FFS Ableton are here in Berlin, of course they are gonna have things here. And it's really not that visible. Besides which, they can be pretty useful. Like the last Meet I went to where they had the whole dev team from Link, along with other 3rd party devs showcasing what Link can do. And of course it's beat orientated, you think people want to use something which doesn't even stick to a basic beat grid?

Christ it's like disliking guitars because it spawned a lot of lazy country music.

Link is proprietary - you'll need a Live 9 license to even apply to use their SDK, and then it comes as a precompiled library you have no control over. no thanks :)

Pretty sure the reason for that was because at the time it was only in beta. I'm pretty sure anyone can apply to use the SDK for free.

you brought up Link ;D

Yeah, they state specifically on the site that they're sharing the SDK for Link for free.

And I am already downloading Live 9.6 so I can wirelessly sync Ableton to Patterning and play 4/4 and non-4/4 tunes. Because both are well capable and flexible and great at doing basically any twisty fucking type of music I want to write.

So let's hear about how Ableton is shitting in your local culture man. I want to hear how terrible this company is, for real.

Can we get some linkies to that sequencer and this sample library M4L

The sample library thing - https://www.conversesamplelibrary.com/tools/ableton

The step sequencer I screenshot above - http://hyakken.moo.jp/WordPress/product/polyseq/

(though there's loads of step sequencers for it - http://www.maxforlive.com/library/index.php?by=any&q=step+sequencer )

Yeah I can imagine it'd be much easier/more of an upgrade to switch to ableton from a traditional daw.

For a while I used Max Score for sheet music note entry and reViSiT for tracker note entry. Some projects ended up getting a little ..... erm muddled !

1980212_10151930333602471_2014528273_o.j

the marketing is pretty sickening...but generally what marketing isn't?

i made some albums in live and its pretty cool

wish they'd get on with development though...so slow...push it forward...come on!

Yeah I can imagine it'd be much easier/more of an upgrade to switch to ableton from a traditional daw.

For a while I used Max Score for sheet music note entry and reViSiT for tracker note entry. Some projects ended up getting a little ..... erm muddled !

1980212_10151930333602471_2014528273_o.j

would love to hear what this sounds like...

Archived