IGNORED

Volca FM

I don't really know shit about FM synthesis so I can't comment on whether this is good/crap but I know there's a few FM heads on here that might be interested in this. Fair play to Korg for continuing to make cheap weird things. Rather fond of my Volca Keys even though I don't actually use it on tracks very much:

GO!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note Mode Machines (the xoxbox people) are developing a knobbed controller for the DX7 range and its huge - if I remember correctly it's over a hundred knobs to map the majority of the synths controls so for sure the Volca isn't going to be easy to program from scratch. Anyway it was shown on a NAMM 2016 video if you want to see it (the mode-machines controller)

The Volca has some 'smart' controls that allow an easier way to generate new sounds probably in similar fashion to the fm synth in the op-1 and the DX Reface synth recently released. the op-1's fm is only 4-op so the range of tones is more limited but the 4 knobs work well for programming that. The Volca can load sysex presets so maybe loading a sound close to what you want and tweak from there will be how to get the most from it.

The Volca is 6 voice poly afaik but mono timbral which has kinda killed it for me.

Yeah that's the one! Beast ain't it

Kind of puts the Volca interface into perspective......

It does, and it would be amazing to play with, but I think that even for live performances, that *plus* a dx7 would be ridiculous

Excited about this more than any of the other products. I've really enjoyed the Volca series so far for being electro-ukulele modules and making it super fun to jam out loops and phrases. If all of the parameters are editable then it's basically a fully functional Yamaha DX7 with an arpeggiator and slightly less polyphony, and at a third of the cost!

I think they grouped certain parameters together to make editing somewhat manageble, which means you can't edit every single parameter by itself. However, if it's done right (like on the MnM or Braids) this makes for powerful and fast programming.

from the videos I've seen, it seems only slightly less easily editable than the original dx7, in that every parameter can be accessed from the panel but it's a pain. If it has full midi CC control rather than just sysex, then it's already ahead of the dx7, right?

I think they grouped certain parameters together to make editing somewhat manageble, which means you can't edit every single parameter by itself. However, if it's done right (like on the MnM or Braids) this makes for powerful and fast programming.

Yeah, you tweak it in some sort of grouping via the knobs rather than per operator, but it's definitely possible to go menu diving into it and tweak every parameter, as explained in one of the sonicstate vids.

Looks really great indeed !!! I wanted to buy an FM Synth for so long, might finally be possible !

We should totally do a known(1) cover contest using those units :crazy:

• 1 month later...

"Super-easy sound editing" lol

Sounds good in that cheap and shitty but purposefully so way that all the Volcas thrive on. Will be another Volca that I don't buy I'm sure, but I like that they're out there. Maybe one day I'll get them all for cheap from some hipster in need of cash.

that pile of vinyls lmao

cool vid though, sequencing the algorithm lol

Haha yeah kinda silly but holy shit. This thing is IDM as fuck.

I'm so glad Korg and Tatsuya Takahashi found each other, talk all the shit you want about the volcas but they're a dream come true.

Never understood the volca hate...

They will sell tens of thousands

They have some design flaws with their interfaces and midi-assignable controls, but their absolutely amazing for what you pay for them. I think the hate comes from people that are wanting smaller and cheaper replica's of what they are based off of when they are kind of their own type of instrument onto themselves. (not that the retro designs aren't cool!)

Archived