IGNORED

Universal Indicator CD Mix tracklist

Uros

This is something I've been wondering a long time and thought to finally get my hands into. So if someone has done the tracklist for the Innovations in the dynamics of acid mix please post it here. Would be cool if I could finally edit the metadata of the files to correspond the original vinyl tracks. So what I'm after is the names of the tracks or colour+track number. You don't have to dig them yourself though if you haven't got them ready, I will try to sort them out myself. Only thought to ask here first to spare some effort. Google nor Discogs didn't give me anything.

Brilliant idea. I’d love to update my metadata as well. Afraid I can’t be much help identifying the tracks though.

Were the individual volumes of UI ever for sale digitally? I can’t remember if the short-lived rephlex.com had them in WAV or not.

AFAIK the UI series was not available digitally via Rephlex.com or anywhere else.

Also, since the track times on the mix seem to be purposely edited to reflect the Roland devices popular with this genre, you might have a hard time identifying each one (at least by timing).

I did some pre-investigation before starting the thread by listening those original tracks on YT and IMO eventhough the lenghts are intentional, the CD has been mixed in a way that the tracks start somewhat rationally (hey, It's been done by none other than Mr. M.Dred, a true pro). I must confess though that I haven't really paid attention to those actual vinyl tracks until know but only listened to my CD, so that may be a bullshit statement. Well, have to try to sort them out at some point.

And to Ascdi, UI's were not available on rephlex.com. And neither were Bradley Striders. Those I would have buyed instantly.

PS. I just found out there is also a japan version of Innovation in the... Are those extra tracks also from vinyl or something exclusive for that edition? Dunno if I want to pay $100 for getting those...

Maybe it's obsolete info (can't remember where this was sourced from, probably the Rephlex website?) but here's some extra info on the mix:

Very important to the foundations of Rephlex. They are much in demand and exchange hands for insane prices. So we decided to make a CD only mix.
FACTS:
Non Stop. With 21 index markers for Rewind & Fast Forward reference.
Total time of 57m57s.
57m57s is dividable by 1:01, 2:02, 3:03 & 6:06.
Reflecting the CAT numbers 101, 202, 303, 606 derived from TB303, TR606, MC202, SH101.
Therefore the marker (track times) sequence goes like this:
1:01, 2:02, 3:03, 6:06, 3:03, 2:02, 1:01, 2:02, 3:03, 6:06, 3:03, 2:02, 1:01, 2:02, 3:03, 6:06, 3:03, 2:02, 1:01, 2:02, 3:03 = 57:57.
The last track is from MC202 and finishes at 202bpm.
It finishes on 3m03s index because of the 303 'Innovation in the dynamics of Acid' principle.
I mixed it so that no 2 tracks from the same piece of vinyl or colour appear back to back.
So, anyone who owns 1 copy each of all 4 Universal Indicators can do the mix too.
I also mixed it so that it is a constantly increasing in tempo & intensity. Constantly gathering energy.
It took about 3 months to find the formula that fitted the above criteria perfectly and then perform the mix.

----

I never bothered to match up the tracks with the mix, although I did backtrack one track that I loved because of the way it's used in the mix (#12) which is UI Green track 3 (K1), I remember just playing this mix instead of the separate releases for quite a while :)

No idea about those Japanese bonus tracks, will try and look it up but have never been able to find them. I'm guessing they are released tracks though. I do have the bonus mix that was added with it through a download code, which is a great allround braindance mix:

http://www.discogs.com/Jason-Fellows-All-Vinyl-All-Rephlex/release/5014038

Are those extra tracks also from vinyl or something exclusive for that edition?

They are from UI Ultra-Violet.

Didn't even remember there also was the Ultra-Violet one. Like I said, I've been happy with the mix and haven't really paid any attention to the actual vinyl releases. But good to know. Thanks!

I mixed it so that no 2 tracks from the same piece of vinyl or colour appear back to back.

So, anyone who owns 1 copy each of all 4 Universal Indicators can do the mix too.
I also mixed it so that it is a constantly increasing in tempo & intensity. Constantly gathering energy.
It took about 3 months to find the formula that fitted the above criteria perfectly and then perform the mix.

Cheers. I still feel that eventhough the tracklenghts follow the formula, they're mixed in a way that there's an own UI track for each track in the mix (very strong IMO). LOL, don't know if you get what I mean thanks to my piece of shit good for nothing broken english (..or finglish, I even typed ''buyed'' hihi). This might take a while to get it done but at least I got some info of how the mix has been built. And even got an ID for the track 12. That's one track less to dig up.

• 4 months later...

So, someone dared asking Mike Dred on facebook who is who on Universal Indicator and he came out with a rather interesting anecdote:

i have no idea who came up with the tracks. The record label used to write friends names on slips of paper, crumple them up, lob them in a bowl - Tombola style and just stick with whatever name came out. That was the norm. When you read articles about that project, none of it is correct.
I did do a DJ mix with those coloured records years ago on the ones and twos and it got released (see link) There are a handful floating around as a 4 pack vinyl. Don’t think it made it as a wholesale wax jobby. You’ll have to check.
Hinting at more people being involved in this or? There's at least three involved (AFX, Grant on the 7" of U.I. Green and Mike Dred) but who knows now?!

That Mike Dred post is kinda weird isn't it?!

It's quite sure the red and green vinyls are done by the same artist, they sound very very similar in terms of sound, mixing, gear used.

After the soundcloud dump(14 moodular acid) it's for sure AFX who did red and green, with some exception(s) on green.

Sticking a name on it Tombola style seems a bit far fetched imho

It's quite sure the red and green vinyls are done by the same artist, they sound very very similar in terms of sound, mixing, gear used.

After the soundcloud dump(14 moodular acid) it's for sure AFX who did red and green, with some exception(s) on green.

For sure! Who knows, maybe it's Mike taking the piss right now :) I like the fact that they still keep it vague though, at this rate it will be around 2152 when we find out who Steinvord actually was.

For sure! Who knows, maybe it's Mike taking the piss right now :) I like the fact that they still keep it vague though, at this rate it will be around 2152 when we find out who Steinvord actually was.

Lol, Ta Tah Taaaaah

The plot twists continues

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

tell you what

im totally bored of the mysteries

the trax aint even that great, been surpassed by ceephax and so on

dont waste  your money on this shit lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've always wanted to compile a tracklist for this, so I gave it a go on the train yesterday. I own Red and Blue so it was fairly easy to recognise those tracks. Green and Yellow have quite distinctive styles, so it didn't take long from there.

I'm afraid the tracks don't line up very well with the 'indexes' (to distinguish the tracks on the mix from the full tracks on the records) on the CD. There's no perfect way to do it, but I've tried to tie each track to the index that contains most of it, tending towards each track having its own index where possible.

Many indexes contain several tracks, and some tracks span several indexes. One index might be half one track and half another but be tied to only one track for the sake of neatness.

Where the track names are unavailable, the track titles correspond to the side and number on the record.

(1) Green: 'D1'

(2) Green: 'A1'

(3) Red: 'One4'

(4) Blue: 'Paradice' + Green: 'U1' + Red: 'One1'

(5) Yellow: 'Lost' + Green: 'I1'

(6) Red: 'A3'

(7) Green: 'K2'

(8) Yellow: 'Acid Test 901'

(9) Yellow: 'Acid Test 901'

(10) Red: 'One2' + Blue: 'Dark Angel'

(11) Red: 'A6'

(12) Green: 'K1'

(13) Red: 'A5'

(14) Yellow: 'WW303'

(15) Red: 'A1'

(16) Blue: 'Definitely A Head Doer' + Yellow: 'TARDIS' + Blue: 'Psychic Turbulence'

(17) Green: 'A2' + Red: 'One5'

(18) Green: 'C2' + Blue: 'TSA'

(19) Blue: 'TSA' + Green: 'C3'

(20) Green: C3

(21) Yellow: Wayne's Tantrum

Haha cool! Have meant to do this numerous times but there always came something more important things in the way. Although more plausible excuse is that I'm just a one lazy ass who couldn't bother to crosscheck the tracks.  :whistling: 

Archived