IGNORED

Google Cardboard

Rubin Farr

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man you guys are total buzzkills :P. I really like my DK2. Can't speak for the cardboard VR thing, but the DK2 has made playing video games fun again. Got bored and didn't play anything for like 2 years, then I got vr, then bam, not bored.

apparently there was a kind of VR hype in the 90s already and nobody wants to speak about it.

yup, I remember going to a games show in the 90s and queueing up to play Doom 2 with a VFX headset complete with cyberpuck; it was truly horrible.

I played Virtuality at Dave & Buster's back in the 90s

apparently there was a kind of VR hype in the 90s already and nobody wants to speak about it.

yup, I remember going to a games show in the 90s and queueing up to play Doom 2 with a VFX headset complete with cyberpuck; it was truly horrible.

I have similar memories of seeing those things at a short-lived annual multimedia fair (which itself went tits up ten or so years ago IIRC) in Brussels in the mid 1990s. Except the demo wasn't even a game but you got to move around a room rendered in early blocky 3dfx style accelerated graphics. With hindsight it's like the most vaporwave thing ever.

I wonder if VR will take off this time around. Last time the tech wasn't good enough, now it seems to be rather decent. But the price is still really high for such a, still niche, product. But I guess that will get lower as the tech advances.

it's gonna be the same as with the 90s thing, at some point the masses will realize that VR sucks, and will be hip to diss it for a while (we're very progressive here innit) and then nobody will want to remember anything about it at all.

Remember Kinect?

Remember how augmented reality apps were the future?

On the other side, it seems to be part of natural evolution:

iV0tVkr.jpg

Guest bitroast

I wonder if VR will take off this time around. Last time the tech wasn't good enough, now it seems to be rather decent. But the price is still really high for such a, still niche, product. But I guess that will get lower as the tech advances.

i think it will, but slowly..

having actually used an occulus/proper VR headset.. its instantly immersive in a way that standard screens / 3D screens has never quite come close to. sure there's the issue of having to wear a headset, the lack of immersion with controls, the price, etc. but given that a pro setup can have low latency and fully immerse the person in a VR environment ... give it 5-10 years and who knows what improvements will be made to getting the cost down n ironing out the quirks.

i think.. it's still a bit of a fad and a bit of a fun tech gimmick that isn't strictly needed in todays day n age. but with enough people excited by it and progressing the tech, it doesnt exactly seem like an idea that's destined to die on it's arse.. not this time round. comparing it to 3D is ... most people i know who have tried 3D or gone to 3D films still don't really care about 3D. 3D was always coming across as a blatent attempt at getting people back into cinema seats and not exactly something any consumer was ever asking for ( maybe i'm exaggerating here but ... maybe you get the distinction here. people are excited by VR.)

also, as for this pic

iV0tVkr.jpg

if anything, the alleged 'VR boom' will help whittle down the population a bit and help with some of the worlds larger over population / immigration / etc issues ??? not a terrible thing ?

Archived