IGNORED

Help me build and utilize an outdoors recording space I've found

Polytrix

Hello!

I've got a zoom mic and like recording sounds outside..especially due to the available materials.

So I know the roof is fucked but I put the walls back as they were with all the corrugated iron I found..wood/bricks etc.

Should I focus on removing the gaps in the walls to kind of soundproof it/improve acoustics when recording inside it.

I can't make loads of noise right now in my house and this is just a 5 min walk away...there are some plastic cones around and I've been trying to find good ways to position a mic/wonder about what would be the best recording spot in here for maybe acoustic guitar or sound coming out of a speaker and recording the effect of the ambiance etc.

It's also just loads of sound making options right...weird perc.

20160303_172334.jpg

20160303_172345.jpg

20160303_172417.jpg

20160303_172515.jpg

What should I do next? It's actually quite a nice little space.

Cheers

I live in the UK and this is a field.

Do you have weather proof gear ? Maybe make it a spot to bbq and have a couple of beers.

If you sacrifice a person that might improve the acoustics.

what if they haunt the lean to/horse shelter after that. Spose you've gotta take the good with the bad.

Leave it as is. *That* is your recording space. Congrats on finding a makeshift shelter if you become homeless!

In seriousness, though, I don't think there is much that can be done acoustically with it. If you are looking to make a reverb room with metal walls then that would be pretty cool for a one-off, but anything else is unfeasable.

Thank you for your responses.

Yes, I think it might be most interesting to turn it into a reverb room...generally it's just a space I can smash fuck out of stuff and record the consequent sounds in an interesting space.

For the reverb room, is it more a case of filling all the gaps in the walls with more corrugated iron and then playing around with mic positioning??

Deffo a nice spot for a little fire. I think I may have made a homeless person happy.

Clap your hands, pop a balloon or play a white noise burst (least to most desirable) and record both inside and out and then use it as a nice impulse recording to save the effort of you having to lug stuff out there to record it.

i think it could do with:

a: walls

b: floor

c: roof

LOL Yes! Why didn't I think of that. There was only one makeshift wall when I started clearing it so I think it's OK in comparison to what it was before.

Clap your hands, pop a balloon or play a white noise burst (least to most desirable) and record both inside and out and then use it as a nice impulse recording to save the effort of you having to lug stuff out there to record it.

When you say impulse recording, do you mean record the sound of what the white noise makes? Isn't that just a normal recording of white noise plus reverb? How do you get just the reverb so yeah, I can use it without going out again?

THANK YOU

place explosives & record the drop.

Way to make homemade explosives? I was thinking of taking an axe/pitch fork down there and just breaking up shit and recording that too. Shite weather right now though so I need to chose a good moment.

I need to properly plug all the gaps in the walls/roof right?

When you say impulse recording, do you mean record the sound of what the white noise makes? Isn't that just a normal recording of white noise plus reverb? How do you get just the reverb so yeah, I can use it without going out again?

THANK YOU

convolute that shit!

Yeah exactly: record a quick blast of white noise (a popped balloon gives an approximation), trim it so the sample starts from just as the noise starts until the reverb has completely died out, then just drag that sample into a convolution reverb VST (some DAWs have them built in but if not there's a free one here - https://osdn.jp/projects/freeverb3vst/ )

Regarding convolution mcbpete, when you say trim the samples, does that need to include the actual sound of the balloon popping ie should i shave off the initial attack? Also, why take recordings inside and outside? Surely just the inside is needed for the reverb of the metal walled space?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ah yeah, sorry wasn't completely clear - Trim it from the loudest bit of the *bang* to the final decay. This will tell the convolution reverb how the different frequencies decay over time.

I was only suggesting both outside and inside recordings so you could capture both what sounds are like inside the place, and also how sounds react outside to the metal reflective material itself

Well, thanks for help regarding impulse responses...that's cool thanks. I actually have a better place now. Disused farm storage warehouse/hangar..

Avec roof walls and doors

recording outdoors for me is about increasing variables. that goes for any uncontrolled recording space. i don't really believe in pristine recording environments or learning "proven" processes. i embrace chaos as much as i can.

as for an outside space to record, what really matters to me is how you connect w/ it. if it's private, isolated, has a good vibe, next to a creek/in a field/whatever, recording there, but also using it as a head space shaper--that will gift a lot to your work.

the trick is getting good enough at the basics of processing audio and emphasizing/isolating what you need.

if i didn't record in a chaotic environment i wouldn't have the ideas i do.

I had a greenhouse two years back that I used to grow tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and... Specialty roses.... in. Composing tracks in there at night until my laptop battery died was nice aside from the onslaught of humidity and whiteflies attracted to the glowing thing.

Give yourself a few pentagrams, mock up a good throne and sacrifice alter (coincidentally both are oddly satisfying ways of saying toilet innit?) and start making some tunes from samples of rusted metal. Girls love spaces like these; something very cozy and non-life-threatening about it, ya know.

human sacrifice definitely in order.

http://thespongeman.ytmnd.com/

Iol spongeman sacrifice-pants.

Yeah, I've actually got a proper spot now...will upload some photos..there might be gypsies living there. It's like a farmers storage unit with just a slide up door.

This sounds lame maybe but I liked the idea of trying my hand at a bit of spraypainting also...but then that's probably a bit too vandal like for me...could be fun though.

Archived