IGNORED

Vektor - Terminal Redux

Vektor-Terminal_Redux.jpg

"Charging The Void" is the first track of the album and sets the scene for the story that follows. It begins with the lone astronaut from Outer Isolation, who is actually an Isolation test subject. He overrides the autopilot and is compelled to go forth on his own and search for his purpose. Years in isolation have twisted his mind, and he teeters between insanity and vengeance. His travels bring him to the now-exploded star, Alshain. Within the stellar nebula, he finds a life-giving molecule that revitalizes him and extends his life. With an entire haul of the newfound molecule, he believes he's found his purpose. He has an epiphany about life and death and decides to bring his life-giving molecule and his new way of understanding to the Cygnus Regime.

^If that opening track, along with the description are any indication of what kind of madness we can expect from this album then it's going to be an amazing listen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Curious about this band, will get this soon!

ditto, I've heard good things about these guys and heard a couple tracks here and there but never given a solid listen. Been meaning to hear them for a while now though.

what is so mind blowing about this album? Don't get me wrong I like what I've heard, but doesn't sound like anything new... is it a case of same-old-thing-done-right or am I missing something? Still haven't given a proper listen though, only listened as background music

what is so mind blowing about this album? Don't get me wrong I like what I've heard, but doesn't sound like anything new... is it a case of same-old-thing-done-right or am I missing something? Still haven't given a proper listen though, only listened as background music

no, YOU sir actually got it! this band man... i can dig em though i'd love to hate em because fuck me if this isn't most overhyped metal band "of the last 5 years". as if they were the first "proggy" thrash band writing tracks around the 10 minute mark, c'mon, the early 90s were FULL of that shit... they can write solid riffs and play them damn (like damn) fast, i'll give em that but that's about it. the singer sucks cocks in hell. he should just go all out ghey like in the ballad of this new album (collapse iirc). his singing voice isn't much better but at least not that expressionless. the production is awefully clinical. while that's standard nowadays it's especially ill suited for this kind of musick imo. tho i can somewhat understand they want everyone to crystal clearly hear every single chugged 16th note they assembed in cubase for so long.

rant off: when they're good they are good. this new album feels somewhat bloated though, also they're already starting ripping off their own riffs (along slayer's raining blood on LCD and south of heaven on pterodactyl or whatevs). my first impression was it has less recognizable riffs than outer isolation, now after hearing it again today while cleaning the house some parts started to grow, still it's almost impossible not to zone out somewhere along the middle. it starts out well enough with those choirs sounding like from an italian 70s "naughty" cartoon. 2nd track is ok. LCD nope. ultimate is ok again then it's kind of a blur til pillars of sand, which has one catchy riff. the ballad is alright. last song ok, too i guess, reintroducing the choir, though not as naughy, which was kind of a let down.

maybe i will learn to like it more and eat my words as time goes by... until then:

elitism801.png?100135

no, YOU sir actually got it! this band man... i can dig em though i'd love to hate em because fuck me if this isn't most overhyped metal band "of the last 5 years". as if they were the first "proggy" thrash band writing tracks around the 10 minute mark, c'mon, the early 90s were FULL of that shit... they can write solid riffs and play them damn (like damn) fast, i'll give em that but that's about it. the singer sucks cocks in hell. he should just go all out ghey like in the ballad of this new album (collapse iirc). his singing voice isn't much better but at least not that expressionless. the production is awefully clinical. while that's standard nowadays it's especially ill suited for this kind of musick imo. tho i can somewhat understand they want everyone to crystal clearly hear every single chugged 16th note they assembed in cubase for so long.

rant off: when they're good they are good. this new album feels somewhat bloated though, also they're already starting ripping off their own riffs (along slayer's raining blood on LCD and south of heaven on pterodactyl or whatevs). my first impression was it has less recognizable riffs than outer isolation, now after hearing it again today while cleaning the house some parts started to grow, still it's almost impossible not to zone out somewhere along the middle. it starts out well enough with those choirs sounding like from an italian 70s "naughty" cartoon. 2nd track is ok. LCD nope. ultimate is ok again then it's kind of a blur til pillars of sand, which has one catchy riff. the ballad is alright. last song ok, too i guess, reintroducing the choir, though not as naughy, which was kind of a let down.

Real-life lol'd at that. Definitely an acquired taste (his voice, not cocks in hell). Took me a while with Outer Isolation to get over that voice. Actually interested to hear some examples of those prog/thrash bands you're talking about. Never was huge on thrash in general, so I guess part of the allure of Vektor for me is their tendency to meander with their sound, incorporation of sci-fi themes, and overall really just their musicianship. Perhaps they really have lifted some riffs or borrowed some ideas, if they have none of it was immediately obvious to me, but if so they did a hell of a job stitching 'stolen' ideas together into some really high energy, cohesive songs. The only time a song evoked another to mind was on recharging the void, which sounded like 'On The Turning Away' by Pink Floyd. The only track I consider skipping on here when listening is Collapse, but I respect the fact that they risked coming across as corny in order to try and make the album they really wanted to make. Like I said, you probably know of more bands that are akin to Vektor, but it's fresh to these ears and sounds like a masterfully-crafted, fast, violent and engaging listen basically from start to finish.

1. don't mind me i'm just a jaded asshole.

2. as for band recommendations: welllll if you're mainly into the concept / sci-fi side of things voivod is of course what anybody would suggest first (tho they're not sounding much alike at all imho, like alot of people seem to think). killing technology and dimension hatross in particular. they got a shit singer, too, only he's great! seriously voivod is easily top 5 (metal) band anyway so just check em out no matter what. also DBC (dead brain cells), also from canada, second album called "universe". obliveon (yet more candians, don't know what's in their tap water) supposedly have a futuristic style going on, too, i'm not tooo familiar with them myself though.

apparently vektor got shit for the cover of terminal looking like the second album from nocturnus lel, forgot the name... they're death metal though. speaking of which: late death. symbolic, sounds... i think the vektor dude is trying to sing like schuldiner on the latter actually... but failing into croaky abbath-style. there's alot of cool old school death metal that's still thrash really: early sadus, pestilence, hellwitch. the latter are totally bonkers, i linked one song in the metal thread.

then just musically sheesh... i mean if you're really, like REALLY green you should of course check out the classics first. metallica puppets and justice are quite proggy / technical. also probably EVERY thrash band ever copied slayer at some point... but yeah, that shit's probably too obvious. the first meshuggah is actually proggy thrash if ye didn't know! mighty coroner from switzerland come to mind (with titles like "mental vortex" ;P), toxik ("think this" album!), anacrusis (very "special" singer, too, lel), watchtower of course um... just some shit from the back of my head. i'm still regularly making discoveries myself, like aспид (Aspid*), very nice russian proggy thrash of old or wolf spider from poland. thanks to interwebs the days of obscurity are over really anyway, for better or worse.

*this tune eg, very nice:

so what's your verdict of terminal in comparison to the old stuff so far? i still think outer isolation was somewhat more effectively "stitched" overall, more oomph moments, while terminal is really shining most during the emo parts for me... (edit: and that pillars of sand riff is one seriousy earworm alright) ... apart from that yeah i guess it caught up with radioass by now XP...

OK yeah that was fucking great. Never heard these guys before. Sounds like they're singing in Russian?

I'll check out the some more of your recs later. I'm definitely entry-level but have heard the more obvious stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived