IGNORED

CDP Soundshaper

ceiling

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check. Will try. I really want the renoise team to take on cdp and merge it in a friendly way. A fantasy most likely.

don't think that will happen, rather they do something like protoplug vst which will let you do the lua magick straight to the audio buffer ( http://www.osar.fr/protoplug/ ).

spectral-filter.png

..also about your cdp troubles, when trying out if it works, what process do you use and what is the bitrate of the sample you try it on? If 24 bit or higher can you adjust the bitrate to 16 bit and see if it works?

Not all of us are coding geniuses dude ;) For some of us we need some primary school interface to f with....

It worked! Finally! I redid the whole environment thing and yeah now it works without having to launch the .conf file manually. @Bendish I think you're gonna have to just go back to the very beginning and run through everything again. I know it's a pain in the ass but you may have made a mistake along the way without even noticing. Have hope my friend, it will work. It took me so many attempts to try and get this thing working.

@ Ceiling; good to hear you got it to work!

Not all of us are coding geniuses dude ;) For some of us we need some primary school interface to f with....

Same here, can't code for shit :) , but tool makers can provide the graphical interface, see the graph picture above, which is the gui for the underlying code in the screenshot. Think the 'Reajs' plugin from Reaper, a 'realtime user-editable effect processor';

reajs.png

(http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/)

Right now renoise's lua api can manipulate sample data, but it is relatively slow and not real-time.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone who uses CDP via renoise installed the new update yet? Want to know If you have to go through the whole instillation process again. 

Has anyone who uses CDP via renoise installed the new update yet? Want to know If you have to go through the whole instillation process again. 

I just overwrote the existing processes in the prog folder with the content of the zip on the page linked above (for windows; http://unstablesound.net/downloads/cdpr71win32-07-16.zip ).

Seems to work just fine, though I haven't tried a lot of processes yet, just some of the blur & distort stuff. 

They have finally gotten rid of teh whole variable declaring business which was the main installation problem for many. So, if a fresh install is ever needed, installation shouldn't be a headache anymore.

Dunno. I find Soundshaper pretty unusable compared to Renoise. Especially if you are a Renoise user.

Chaining processes was on the to-do/wish-list for the renoise tool a long time ago, shame progress has completely halted. Afta is a busy man and I can't code for shit, maybe one day someone willing and able will pick it back up. Still hope to get batch processing all samples in an instrument sometime, other than that it is my goto tool for quickly mangling samples in the sample editor. 

Im a mac user so I can't use soundshaper sadly. I emailed the guy who made It about getting soundshaper for mac, he sent me a really long reply which was super nice and cool but some of It went over my head. I can copy and paste It if anyone is interested. In the meantime Renoise is good for me

I've been doing some work on this in the last few weeks. I think the chances of a port are 0very good, though I don't know how long it will take me to complete it. The initial problem was that Soundshaper is coded in Delphi, a Pascal-based language, which used to be Windows-only. It's now multi-platform, but there are good and bad points about using that framework for the port. The other possibility is to use Lazarus, which is also based on Object Pascal, and is to a large extent a Delphi clone (although it's also itself and doesn't support all Delphi functions). The great advantage of Lazarus is that it also works on Linux as well as Mac.  For the moment, that's my preferred option, and I'm currently working on updating my batch scripts to work on Bash (the Mac and Linux scripting language).

One key component that is not supported is the MediaPlayer, which I use to play soundfiles. There must be ways round this, however; possibly calling a free-standing program (which might just happen to sit in the same part of the screen) written in Delphi. Specific calls to Windows functions might also pose problems, though again I don't think there are that many of any great importance. Most of the program is concerned with handling CDP issues and quirks, file details, setting parameters and so on. The third issue is that I don't actually have a Mac to test it on, but again, I can cross that bridge when I've got working Lazarus code for Windows and Linux.

I've also been working on how to build a multi-tiered Soundshaper: to have user-written patches that can call other user-written patches or (at the lowest level) CDP programs. I wrote some test Bash scripts that appeared to do this successfully.   (A related idea is enabling it to run CSound scripts, too.)  I want to get this all working properly so that Soundshaper 5 can emerge as a fully-mature program working on 3 platforms.

I also tidied up the present code recently, getting rid of old functions that are no longer used and re-ordering the rest so that I can maintain and port it more easily. This was essential groundwork, as I'm going to build the new program version piece by piece, so that at each step I know it works and I deal with individual problems as they arise.

So I'm pretty sure it's going to happen and the foundations are well and truly laid already.  I value very much your offer to be a tester and will certainly take you up on this.
Thanks for taking an interest in this project.

Best wishes,
Rob

Guest ansgaria

Celling, thank you. I'd love for him to do an OSX port. I tried the Soundloom interface some time ago, I had a hard time using it and I probably wasn't too keen or ready to learn a new language at that point. I've been using the Xenakios frontend for Reaper, which is very useful, but only has a handful of processes available. Great work, but as far as I remember reading, he wasn't too interested in taking on the work it required to keep developing and maintaining it, which is absolutely understandable. 

Yeah I'm feeling optimistic : ) If anyone else Is interested In having soundshaper for Mac, I recommend emailing the guy and maybe just starting a convo. Seems to me that what's gonna keep this project alive Is him knowing there is Interest In it. 

On a separate note, I'm about to get the newer version of Renoise. Does anyone know If I have to install the CDP tool again and jump through all those hoops or will It stay intact? 

Archived